PDA

View Full Version : To Subaru or not to Subaru?

Vanders
04-03-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm after some opinions and advice. The wasserboxer in my Caravelle is giving me the yips. Leaking oil, billowing smoke at various times for no apparant reason, blowing water hoses, no power. My wife thinks I've bought a dud as every time it gets driven something goes wrong. For the first time ever I'm going to get roadside assistance as I'M worried it won't last the shortest trip.

Apart from the donk its in good nick and the body is really good.

I may be able to line up an EJ22 Subaru motor and bits. I've read all the stuff about performance gain and reliability etc. What I want to know is:

a) was it difficult?
b) was it expensive?
c) was it worth it - should I just get the existing motor fixed?

I'm fairly mechanically competent, and the old man restores vintage tin for a hobby, but stuff like the wiring and sensors worry me. How many out there have done Subaru conversions? Did they find this stuff difficult?

Cheers,

Paul

Seano
05-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Personally, I'd look to a rebuild first off. If that looks expensive then perhaps a complete swap might be worth a look (even with all the administrative hassle).

GoLfMan
05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
the forum to ask that question, and youll get alot of more experience in such a topis is aussieveedubbers.com!!!
yeh wak in a ej22, better still a WRx motor give it some realy performance ;)

WEDEL.1
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
A Golf 4 cylinder would be just as good, without overpowering the T3. Used to be a conversion kit available a few years ago.

What does your Insurance company think about substituting a 55Kw motor with a 200KW?

Will you need to upgrade the suspension, brakes, tyres, transmission? Will this solve one problem and cause others?

Personally, I'd get the VW motor fixed. Couldn't own a VW without a VW engine.

Just my point of view.

Maris

brackie
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Sounds like you have head gasket problems. They may not be as difficult to fix as you think, or as expensive. The VW motor is a very sound unit that should outlast any Subaru if it's well maintained. I'd fix it.

aprr32
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
Be wary of putting more power through the gearbox, they aren't as strong as people think.

20vkitcar
06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
sounds like you have overfilled your oil ....t3's at over the top mark tend to bellow ****s loads of smoke and die in the arse at the same time....subaru motors work well in subarus...i love taking them out of t3's...the t3 motor is exellent,maintance is the key......correct coolant and premium fuel will ensure longer cyl head and gasket life..stick with the best cheers steve

Vanders
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't get the Subaru motor in the end. I think the conversion will be too hard and expensive for me to do. I think what I will do is to get the T3 motor running right and look at the performance chips available for a little bit more staying power. Maybe I could find a spare T3 motor and rebuild it over time and then just straight swap.

Thanks again for your replies.

Seano
08-03-2007, 07:22 AM
You could also get in touch with www.bostig.com and see if they can ship one of their engine conversions sans engine to Hobart.

Then have a hunt around at your leisure for a 2.0 litre engine from a Ford Focus OR get the missus' approval to purchase a new Ford Zetec 2.0 Cosworth engine.

Another option are the VW performance engine parts from www.gowesty.com