PDA

View Full Version : Yeti

RSwag
24-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I have come to the fold after ordering an RS Wagon TSi DSG yesterday so firstly i wanted to say hi and secondly i wanted to see whether anyone here knows when the Yeti will be launched here.

The RS is for me as i am on the road for a good part of the day and need the carrying space for my equipment the Yeti would be for my wife as a commute for her and our little boy. I looked at the Tiguan an it could fit the pram folded completely down.....................and that was about it. Hopeless for any real world use and not acceptable for us.

The Yeti has slightly more usable space according to some of the reviews and may be the perfect alternative. However we would rather something sooner rather than later, all the media tells me is that Skoda have told them end of year. I asked my selling dealer for the RS and they tell me they have the same info as the media.

Maybe everyone has the same info but if someone knows more please inform me, i really would rather work with the exacts rather than vague wishy washy forecasts.

Graybags
24-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi buddy and welcome to the forums.

Spook
24-01-2010, 08:39 PM
On GoAuto, it says the Yeti is due in the second quarter, around April, while Wheels magazine has it as second half 2010. I would be inclined to believe 2nd half, as April is when Skoda is launching the Superb wagon.

I do not think the Yeti will have more space than the Tiguan. From the UK website, I see the Yeti is shorter, and while it probably makes better use of its size, will not match that of the Tiguan. The Yeti has a cargo space of 322 litres with the spare wheel, and 416 litres without. This compares to 395 litres in the Tiguan.

A quirky (IMO) alternative is the Roomster. Doesn't look big in the pics, but the specs say a cargo space of 450 - 530 litres, depending on seats configuration.

K1W1
24-01-2010, 09:08 PM
The Yeti has a cargo space of 322 litres with the spare wheel, and 416 litres without. This compares to 395 litres in the Tiguan.

If they are UK figures does the Tiguan include a spare in those numbers? I think that in the UK it might be an option.

FWIW the International Motor Show is now run every alternate year in Sydney and Melbourne with the 2010 event in Sydney in October so depending on how Skoda are travelling that may be a logical time for new model releases.

I would also suggest having a serious look at a Roomster they are a trick little vehicle.

Spook
24-01-2010, 09:13 PM
If they are UK figures does the Tiguan include a spare in those numbers? I think that in the UK it might be an option.

395 litres in Tiguan is Aus specs, so with the spare wheel. So to the OP, I think the Yeti may not suit your needs.

RSwag
25-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, it looks like you might be right and it maybe another one to throw on the heap. I am a little confused as to why they would go for a design that doesn't cater for its intended audience. Surely most people looking at this sort of small 4 x 4 do so with a small family in mind.

Frustrating, would have been nice to have something a little quirky in the drive. I know roomster was suggested but its build quality isn't up to the standard of the Octavia (or by all accounts the Yeti) and the a salesman told me that they are all built in 2007, doesn't excite me to pay those sorts of dollars for a 3 year old car before its even been registered.

woofy
25-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Have a look at a CX7, they come in a smaller 4 cylinder version now. I looked at the Tiguan and ended up with the RS as the Tiguan is too small for kids.

Jake02
25-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Keep the RS on order. You know it's a great car and there's no point in waiting for the Yeti, which is due 3rd quarter apparently. The Roomster, to me, is the perfect family vehicle just for it's practicality and versatility. But if quirky isn't your thing just get an Octavia. Boot is big and space is plenty, but the best thing is it goes like stink (something a Roomster and Yeti cannot match)!

brad
25-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Frustrating, would have been nice to have something a little quirky in the drive. I know roomster was suggested but its build quality isn't up to the standard of the Octavia (or by all accounts the Yeti) and the a salesman told me that they are all built in 2007, doesn't excite me to pay those sorts of dollars for a 3 year old car before its even been registered.

I find it hard to believe that Skoda Aus still has 07 stock of the Roomster. Sure they haven't taken off but....

I have 8yo & 12yo girls. They still want me to buy a Roomster... or a Caddy.

Either way, the diesel is the pick.

phaeton
26-01-2010, 07:04 AM
VW still have 08 New Beetle stock so Skoda having 07 Roomster stock is not hard to believe seeing as though they've hardly sold.

Yeti I predict late 2010 as mentioned above Superb Wagon is first off the loading dock.

K1W1
26-01-2010, 10:37 AM
I am a little confused as to why they would go for a design that doesn't cater for its intended audience.

The problem is that the rear diff eats up space under the floor where the spare would go. In the old days they would have mounted the spare on the rear but that is now out of fashion because of safety and cost (if you get a minor tap in the back it can be huge dollars to fix) reasons.
I believe that there are some accessory cradles available that allow a spare to be mounted to the back similar to the ones available for the Toureg.
As far as the CX7 is concerned that always had a 4 cyl 2.3 litre motor it's just that it's tuned for performance so it's a gas guzzler (the CX9 has the 6cyl engine). There is now a diesel option but they are manual only and guess what? They have a space saver temporary spare.

brad
26-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I am a little confused as to why they would go for a design that doesn't cater for its intended audience. Surely most people looking at this sort of small 4 x 4 do so with a small family in mind.

Just back on this. The luggage capacity of the Tiguan doesn't surprise me at all. We've owned various Commodore/Falcon/Camry wagons plus 7 seat SUVs & proper people movers.

For a small (1 child) families the 3.0 V6 2000 Camry wagon was the best size/performamce/economy compromise.

The current Falcon is just a big hearse. The old Statesman wheelbase Commodores slightly better for the private user. The current VE Commodore Sportswagon seems very cramped for such a big car - may as well get an Octavia wagon.

We've had a Holden Captiva diesel 7 seat & it was a brilliant package with lots of room but needed more power or an extra gear. Mitsubishi Outlander 7 seat was just a joke.

Best of the lot for luggage capacity, comfort & handling was the Toyota Avensis Verso but that was a few years back so I think they might have been overtaken in safety features by now.

woofy
26-01-2010, 04:58 PM
As far as the CX7 is concerned that always had a 4 cyl 2.3 litre motor it's just that it's tuned for performance so it's a gas guzzler (the CX9 has the 6cyl engine). There is now a diesel option but they are manual only and guess what? They have a space saver temporary spare.

Nah there is a newer engine out now that is the normal 6 one retuned not the MPS 6 engine which used to be the only choice. And yep also the diesel now.

onyertod
26-01-2010, 05:15 PM
Had a seat in a Yeti last year while in the UK. Nice car, typical Skoda quality interior. Like almost all 4 x 4 s this type of vehicle often looks like it should be roomier inside when viewed from outside. At the time I had an x-trail and the yeti seemed smaller inside.

Back in OZ I traded the X-Trail on an Octavia TSI wagon because having owned a soft roader I wanted something that was a much more satisfying drive.

But I do feel that here in Oz we often buy bigger cars in the mistaken belief that we have to have heaps of space.

What the Yeti has, a la Roomster, is is Varioflex. "an extremely functional array of seat positions."

I find it hard to believe that a Yeti would not be big enough for a family with one or two kids.

Top Gear Magazine gave the Yeti "Family car of the year"

"The Yeti has been an instant hit with the Top Gear magazine office," he said. "We love the styling, the handling, the quality, the space, the clever touches and yes, the name. If you're looking for a family car it should be top of your list to check out, simple as that""

If I were in the market for this style of vehicle, I suspect that the Yeti will be worth waiting for.