PDA

View Full Version : Exhausts???

Kenji
01-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Most people seem to say an exhaust system on a vr6
is quite point less what are some peoples oppinions??
I wonder If extractors make a difference as well??

Tim
01-03-2007, 09:19 PM
extractors are pointless given the expense. A good 2.25 or 2.5" exhaust gives quite good gains. Dont expect it to be a rocket ship but yeah. certainly are gains to be had. U at least have to do it to unleash that VR6 sound!

golfvr6
02-03-2007, 11:20 AM
exhaust is ok - remove suitcase and resonator - bigger pipe, rear muffler - put up with the sub2500rpm noise - and adds a few hp and torque (if you think a few $100's is ok then it is worth it) but...
extractors not worth it for the money

Kenji
02-03-2007, 03:09 PM
so for the least ammount of money and most gains cat back??
I want the car to be reletively quiet unless I give it is that possible??

Kenji
02-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't understand why extractords don't do to much Is
it because the standered manufolds are very good??
coz most 4 cylinder cars you get pretty good gains

Tim
02-03-2007, 03:27 PM
u just answered your own question dude :P

Kenji
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
u just answered your own question dude :P
lol so I guess your refering to the standerd extracter being very good
so are there any ehausts the are quite quiet but have pretty good gains??
I want the car to be at least quiet under 3000revs thats not possible hay?
2 cars ago I had an exhaust and under 3k it was loud in ways or a very low sound

Tim
02-03-2007, 04:43 PM
look into jetex systems. they are designed to be a performance exhaust without too much droning.
I just put a 2.5" jetex system on my car. and im very impressed with it. Altho there are a few strange design quirks. But it certainly works. There was a writeup on the 12v mk4 jetex system going round the net somewhere that had it making the most power out of about 10 aftermarket systems they tested. try googling it maybe

this is what mine looks like.
http://vr6.com.au/forums/files/jetex_261.jpg

DubSteve
02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
How much was that Tim???

Tim
02-03-2007, 06:25 PM
it costs about $550US plus shipping. so aroud $1kAUD id guess
I think there is a company selling them locally for about $1200AUD.
I got mine as a factory second direct from the US distributor. It has a slight scratch on one of the tips. But it sits under the rear valance so who gives a toss. Saved me a $100

golfvr6
02-03-2007, 07:57 PM
so for the least ammount of money and most gains cat back??
I want the car to be reletively quiet unless I give it is that possible??

ive got a custom mild steel cat-back system 2.5 inch. got rid of the resonator and suitcase and replaced with an inline and rear muffler. depends on how you drive, yes it can be a bit noisy. but once you are used to it, you know how to keep it quiet. just have to be in the right gear to keep the noise down. real noise only occurs when i accelerate hard under 2500 so it is manageable.

just looking at the middle muffler on tim's jetex - seems to replace the suitcase, and because of the u-turn perhaps helps to be a bit quieter. just through fluid dynamics, the more bends, the more friction in the air, thus you probably also reduce the noise as well in doing so (not criticising btw - just pointing it out.)

the custom job i had done doesn't have a u-turn in it, and at most bends at 45 degrees. but it is a one-off and depending on the mufflers you use, would def get a different result anyways....

i posted another quote from a dyno result of 8 years ago just last week (someone else asked bout extractors) and it gave you a few hp, but for the money, prolly not worth it - yes the stock extractors are very good design

ScienceVR6
03-03-2007, 02:19 PM
it costs about $550US plus shipping. so aroud $1kAUD id guess
I think there is a company selling them locally for about $1200AUD.
I got mine as a factory second direct from the US distributor. It has a slight scratch on one of the tips. But it sits under the rear valance so who gives a toss. Saved me a $100
Dude, ripped off.
Mines a Full custom 2.5" and a 2.5" cat, for $550 insatlled.
It features a Super cat muffler, and a hotdog under the rear. the cat is also a supercat.

Its all mandrel bent too.

Tim
03-03-2007, 02:40 PM
nah. not ripped off.

When you got your custom exhaust was it guaranteed to have the sound qualities u were after AND proven to make power?
I accept its not a cheap system. But. Show me a brand name system that is cheap?

Also. is your system full stainless steel? thats stupid cheap if it is.

Kenji
03-03-2007, 02:52 PM
Ive never heard of a exhaust system for $1000
let alone $550

gpk_gti
03-03-2007, 05:34 PM
hehe kenji,,my remus on the vr6 was at least $800 and the mk4 gti MTM rear box was $1200.when its got a brand name,its expensive.even my brother inlaws full rice brand exhaust system on the skyline was $1300...exactly what tim said,what you pay for is what you get!

Kenji
03-03-2007, 05:46 PM
how is the remus one??

ScienceVR6
03-03-2007, 08:16 PM
nah. not ripped off.

When you got your custom exhaust was it guaranteed to have the sound qualities u were after AND proven to make power?

Also. is your system full stainless steel? thats stupid cheap if it is.

i didnt realise yours is stainless.
though its not realy necesary in aus.

If i didnt like the sound of mine, they would change the mufflers till it sounded right. but was right the first time.

chadzter
18-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, My mate got his done (username: Wakdog) on this forum, And his Exhaust cost him $190 and like $50 for the work they guy had too do, and its one of the best sounding VR6's i have heard, How come spend soo much when you can get something cheap and good?

ScienceVR6
18-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Hey guys, My mate got his done (username: Wakdog) on this forum, And his Exhaust cost him $190 and like $50 for the work they guy had too do, and its one of the best sounding VR6's i have heard, How come spend soo much when you can get something cheap and good?

the expencive part of my car was the cat. my pipe was $250, and the cat was 200, with $50 for the tips, and $50 for instalation.

Vr6_Dog
27-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Pay the money for a Remus. Sound wicked.:)

MattyT
27-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Thats what im going to do :D

gldgti
29-03-2007, 08:13 PM
still a steel box and piping to get your gasses out the back....

stainless is no better than mild steel other than for longevity.

you always pay more when the guy at the shop thinks he can get it out of you.

you always pay more if you chase brand name gear for no real practical reason.

MattyT
30-03-2007, 11:51 PM
still a steel box and piping to get your gasses out the back....

stainless is no better than mild steel other than for longevity.

Agreed, however I'm after the Remus for the sound. The VR6 has a note that just MUST be maximised with the perfectly tuned exhaust. :D :D

Tim
31-03-2007, 10:01 AM
stainless steel is also substantially lighter than mild steel isnt it? and shedding weight is the best way to go faster

h100vw
31-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Stainless exhausts are only lighter really because you don't need to use such thick material to get the same longevity.

Gavin