PDA

View Full Version : you guys in the know

Jmac
16-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey there do you reckon an Audi 80 with NG engine 2.3l 5 cyl would be good for a sprint or 2????? What your thoughts??? i think i may have got my hands on a Seat for a run around and customers and think the Audi would be strong enough what you reckon??? waste of time and keep it nice when finished or go out and throttle it????
Keen to hear what you reckon
Cheers
Jmac

GOLFBALLS
16-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I dont reckon an 80 would be a wise choice for competition. The suspension setup is limited in terms of lowering iirc and its a fairly heavy beast to start with.
Is the Seat a Cordoba or Ibiza? If its the 1.8 manual i'd use that instead!

Just my thoughts:)

evorobin
16-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Good fun yes, Competitive no. My mate supercharged a mk1 1600 for peanuts was super quick for cheap.

Jmac
16-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Great feedback, im reluctant to do it with the Audi TBH, but Seat is a Cordy with the ADZ manual mate. For what its going to cost me itll be well worth the fun
Cheers
Jmac

Umai Naa!!
16-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Go with the Cordy.

It will be much more fun!

Jmac
16-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Swaying that way fellas, but think the Cordy is going to be ideal for a run around who knows
Cheers
Jmac

beeza
18-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Not sure how competitive you wanna be, but either way its gonna cost you. Before you know it your car will probably end up like mine. You will always be looking for that little edge, thus modifying the car endlessly really.
To actually have some fun and be somewhat quick you'll need adjustable suspension and semi slick tyres at least. The brakes will need upgrading but you can probably get a set of Cupra brakes i'd imagine. These are some of the things i'd do before i'd even consider entering any event with the Cordy.

My car is a Cupra Sport and it's modified relatively mildly, i believe. Some people think its quite radical but as far as road/race cars go, my car is quite mild. It does Lakeside in very low 64 secs but i am looking for a 63 sec laptime soon. QR is the same again, done a low 64 and looking for a 63 on the Sprint configuration. These time are laid down with no mods to the engine, not sure you can call a high flow cat, cat back exhaust and BMC airbox a modified engine. However it has a shorter final drive, light flywheel, LSD, so it makes the most of what realtively low engine power it has.

I hope i didn't confuse you in making your decision, whether to actually do it or not or which car you're gonna pick.

Jmac
18-01-2010, 10:09 PM
hey appreciate that man, you are running the red cupra hey????? what happened to the Dj stunt man???? i gues you have to hit the Uk shores to gig it hey mate. Yeah not sure what to do just want a bit of "cheap" fun with one of the slugs i have lying around, they were intended to be loaners for customers when in need but you got to have some fun too.
Time will tell, cheers for the feedback all
Jmac:banana:

AusScare
18-01-2010, 10:14 PM
It does Lakeside in very low 64 secs but i am looking for a 63 sec laptime soon. QR is the same again, done a low 64 and looking for a 63 on the Sprint configuration. These time are laid down with no mods to the engine, not sure you can call a high flow cat, cat back exhaust and BMC airbox a modified engine. However it has a shorter final drive, light flywheel, LSD, so it makes the most of what realtively low engine power it has.

How do those times compare against Alex's vr6? Does the driver make a big difference too..?

beeza
18-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Hehe, yeah thats me. Yeah i do get the odd gig here and there.
Oh by the way, i got the side damage all fixed along with a 6point bolt in cage fitted. Definitely stiffened the car but added weight. At least i feel protected now.
I'd concentrate on handling over power in a lightweight dub anyday. SEATs and Audis are kinda dubs. I'm sure you know what i mean. Power or too much of it in a FWD gets wasted unless you have a really well set-up car.
Definitely don't be afraid to come out in whatever really. There is a guy that sometimes comes out in a Caddy 1.6 petrol, so just about anything goes on these sprints.
If you do come out one time, and i can't stress this enough. Make sure you have some decent tyres, semi slicks preferrably and do the best you can with the brakes. They will get melting hot. So high temp fluid, best street/track pads you can get, slotted discs, braided lines. It really sucks when you only get to run 2 flying laps coz your tyres and brakes can't handle the heat.
These are my 2 cents, so hopefully we'll see you out there sometime.

beeza
18-01-2010, 10:48 PM
How do those times compare against Alex's vr6? Does the driver make a big difference too..?

As far as drivers go, i believe i'm quite crazy and i give it everything i've got out there. However, Alex is no slouch either. Alex only ever ran a dozen laps at lakeside and one(1) lap at QR. Alex did something like a 66.7 at lakeside on street tyres, mind you very good quality ones. He would've improved on his times i'm sure, and maybe even would have matched or surpassed my laptimes eventually.
Let's not forget that he does have some big name gear on his car. So whatever the car lacked in tyre grip more than made up in the suspension/brake department.
Now he's going all out on his engine, so we'll have to see where this takes him. There is no doubt in my mind that the car will be capable of 62s at lakeside but that will depend on his commitment,talent and ability. He's kinda making his car a bit fancy and spending waaay too much time on it. The more time you spend on it the more precious it is, therefore i believe he won't be going all out on the track because of this. That modified engine of his will be a bit fragile too, which is why i'm sticking with factory reliability.

AusScare
18-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Interesting what you say about the brakes and tyres. A couple of people on all sorts of forums just say, go and have a go, have fun, but then lots of people come home with destroyed brakes/tyres.

As much as I'd love to track my car, I don't have $2k to throw into it for that :(

And yeah, with a car like Alex's, he'd want to be careful with how hard he pushes it, cos if it goes off, gonna be pricey to fix.

beeza
19-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Interesting what you say about the brakes and tyres. A couple of people on all sorts of forums just say, go and have a go, have fun, but then lots of people come home with destroyed brakes/tyres.

As much as I'd love to track my car, I don't have $2k to throw into it for that :(

And yeah, with a car like Alex's, he'd want to be careful with how hard he pushes it, cos if it goes off, gonna be pricey to fix.

All the points you make there are absolutely correct.
It's really not worth doing track days on street tyres as they will just shred to pieces. Semis just seem to keep going and get better with heat. Really worth it i reckon, they will last about 6-8 track days depending on driving style. Brakes, brakes, i can never stress it enough people!!!Once again not worth getting out there and only being able to do 2 laps at a time because your brakes a fading and boiling.

Alex's car??!! Well that thing will definitely be a beast n a half. Will be too fancy for the track in my opinion, no pun intended with that comment. Alex knows the way i feel about his out of control build. Will be nice to look at though, and will have an incredible soundtrack.

Peter Jones
19-01-2010, 11:59 AM
The cordy sounds like fun.

I'd gut the interior, run vented MK3 discs, ditch the mono motroninic and run twin dellortos/webers and the biggest Hydro cam I could find.Best to find a shorter 020 box too.

Biggest bang for your buck, performance wise, definately the semi slicks.

Pete

beeza
19-01-2010, 10:54 PM
The cordy sounds like fun.

I'd gut the interior, run vented MK3 discs, ditch the mono motroninic and run twin dellortos/webers and the biggest Hydro cam I could find.Best to find a shorter 020 box too.

Biggest bang for your buck, performance wise, definately the semi slicks.

Pete

Agreed, you'll need as much power as you can get as that engine is not much of a powerhouse. My Cupra is no powerhouse either but its good for 97KWatw (165 flywheel hp) and that i believe is barely adequate when going up against the likes of Integra Type-Rs, Clio Sport's and Celica ZR's etc.....
Get onto it and hopefully i'll catch you out sometime.

Treza360
21-01-2010, 09:47 AM
I guess it's all about having fun though is it not?
I'm hoping to do a few track days this year. Want to grab some 17" S3 rims for some semi-slicks and some yellow stuff pads or similar more race oriented pads. Coilovers as well.
It'll be purely for the fun of it and am looking at only competing with myself.
Need to save some new funds though Europe was expensive...
Cheers,
Trent