PDA

View Full Version : MK3 Eyelids

Golf Houso
28-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Yet again we reach another el cheapo project for all you discount MK3 golfers out there... Eyelids for the front headlights of the Mk3. Those of us who havn't already changed their front lights would have noticed the appeal that small black or body coloured eyelid can have on an mk3. I myself have attempted to replicate this look by using half a roll of electrical tape, but have failed miserably. What i did discover though is that the effect that I attempted to replicate is quite desirable.
I heard from my mechanic that there were fiberglass eyelids around for about 40-50 bucks, but then you have to pay for spraying and what not and thats even more. I intend to find a solution, (an incredaibly cheap one) most probably starting at a clark rubber store and I encourage anyone else who has found a cheap cosmetic solution to this problem to voice their findings, and all else interested to have a look. Happy Hunting! j:

Tim
28-02-2007, 11:12 PM
u have to be careful not to detract from the look of the car by doing it too cheaply. I cant see a way around having them painted. which really wouldnt cost that much. Maybe carbon fibre look on a dark coloured car. But other than that. as they say. U gotta pay to play!

KI11Z
01-03-2007, 12:40 AM
man dont be such a cheap arse! j: diy eye lids have never looked good imo . . .

gman
01-03-2007, 02:58 AM
If I may weigh in on the subject; I've got to say that I think these eye-lids that I see on Golfs every now and then are a little garish...

Have you got yourself a nice deeper (euro-style) spoiler lip? Methinks that's a better way to improve the look of the mk3...

But then again who am I to be the arbiter of what's discrete, classy and cool? I'm the guy who put a sports-exhaust in his ford laser 10 years ago! Ah the joys of early manhood...

Kenji
01-03-2007, 06:36 AM
bahahaha lol
cheap ass

gpk_gti
01-03-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm the guy who put a sports-exhaust in his ford laser 10 years ago! Ah the joys of early manhood...
so did I!! does that mean we are scarred for life??hehe
as for do it urself eyelids.umm,very bodgy.dont worry about painting the fibreglass ones,just black will still look ok.better than some wonky ones.unless they are done correctly and a perfect straight,my advice is,dont do it.

DubSteve
01-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Just get the bowser put on can't be that much and it will a proper finish to ;)

bombsquad21
01-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Is the car already lowered? This should be the very first mk3 mod imho. (not that i did it that way) . I know it seems expensive, but even non-car type people appreciate how a nice mk3 looks when its little more down to earth. Cheap things to do would be..
Polish your car. Repair scratches etc.
Paint your vw Badges black front and rear.
Make your sure your wipers are nice looking (not body coloured)
Take the golf badge off the tailgate.
If your in clarke rubber, maybe you could look at getting stuff to redo the headliner?? (if it's anything like mine)
Clear side markers?

rayray086
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Never really a fan of eyelids but those boser hoods should really be the only way to do it, as Steve pointed out. However, they give a really bold look to your car, and people will either love it or hate it.

I suppose with those fibreglass eyelids, you can spray paint them yourself. I forgot where you can locate your paint code (it's somewhere on the car but its location has slipped me...), but you can grab that paint (or the closest one I guess), primer and clear coat and off you go. There's only very little surface to spray on eyelids so one of each can is more than enough, and will cost no more than $10.

Tim
01-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I suppose with those fibreglass eyelids, you can spray paint them yourself. I forgot where you can locate your paint code (it's somewhere on the car but its location has slipped me...)

open the rear hatch and look down. There is a sticker just near where the carpet meets the plastic trim.

Golf Houso
01-03-2007, 06:39 PM
I've already done as much as care to on my car: wheels, indicators, self, tailights, front globes, detailing, rear muffler and general automotive repairs. My car is very close to exactly what I would like it to be, with the exception of eyelids. My point is this, I believe that it is very possible to make "cheap ass" exterior mods that are still tasteful. The concept of paying anything more than $10 for a eyelids on a car that is essentially nothing more than a shopping trolley is pure insanity. To prove you are all horribly wrong, I shall develop, design and mass produce tasteful cheap and good looking golf mk3 eyelids. Funny you guys weren't cristisicing the DIY intake systems on the MK3's with tubing that was apt to melt in a few weeks, now that was "cheap ass"...
Oh and Gman, please we have enough people like Loon that make money off us poor barstards already we don't need another one... n:

gman
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh and Gman, please we have enough people like Loon that make money off us poor barstards already we don't need another one... n:
???

i'm not selling anything!

Tim
01-03-2007, 07:17 PM
i do agree with you on the point that the price of the eyelids is just stupid for what they are. No-one doubts its possible to make your own. Maybe fibreglass construction would be worth investigating. Its easy to work with and easy to sand shape and paint. Still. a lotta messin about. but i guess sometimes thats half the fun.

Intake systems on mk3s are functional upgrades. they dont have to look good!

Golf Houso
01-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Sorry Gman, I'm just used to people on this website trying to make a quick buck, I misunderstood your comment sorry.

And yes I do agree on the fact that there is an appeal in making your own modifications, but I still hold my opinion on the air box and intake modification being far from reliable, particularily if you put the intake tube parallel to the serpentine belt.

Tim
01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
hehe sif use VW and reliable in the same sentence anyways :P

MattyT
01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Ah crap, not someone whose new to VW's wants to hear :(

gpk_gti
02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
great thread!! love to see some photos when its all done!
by the way,we are all selling something here,its called GOLF LOVE!j:

KI11Z
02-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Sorry Gman, I'm just used to people on this website trying to make a quick buck, I misunderstood your comment sorry.

And yes I do agree on the fact that there is an appeal in making your own modifications, but I still hold my opinion on the air box and intake modification being far from reliable, particularily if you put the intake tube parallel to the serpentine belt.

With all due respect, my intake has not melted and is still a treat, you'd be suprised how well they work . . .

As for the eyelids, please prove us all wrong and create some $10 eyelids that look pro . . .

Golfer
02-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Ok guys. I haven't posted in a very long while for reasons many of the core members know. But I couldn't keep my mouth closed for this one...

Funny you guys weren't cristisicing the DIY intake systems on the MK3's with tubing that was apt to melt in a few weeks, now that was "cheap ass"...
I wonder if you're aware Houso just how expensive and high quality the piping we use for this mod is. Admittedly, early on after i first made this mod i had a little rubbing on the belt, which i rectified with some big zip ties, and it has been fantastic since. The piping is heat resistant, thick and strong, and it is one of the best, most simple mods i have had the chance to make. Do your research, and if you have no experience with this mod DO NOT comment negatively on it. That is what Vortex is for.

Matt (Golf Loon) imports VW parts which is something that i dont have the time or the inclination to do at the moment. It is nice to know that there is someone in Australia with the presence of mind to find a niche market and provide a service which enthusiasts like us need to keep our passion alive.

If you have nothing constructive to contribute to this forum, please refraim from posting. This forum is provided to allow for a relaxed, friendly environment for enthusiasts to swap information and enjoy each others company. Do not come in here with 13 posts and guns blazing, it makes things unpleasant for all of us.

My suggestion is, find a way to make your eyelids, if you can replicate it offer the service to your fellow members, and if they so choose they might like the eyelids as well. It is a good idea if you can do it, but instead of bickering and making things unpleasant, show us what you can do! And if that's not good enough for you, go to the Vortex - you might fit in there...

Sorry to everyone else for the unpleasantness... I don't have a lot of patience for BS any more, as i'm sure you understand. I still check the forum regularly, and keep an eye on what's going on.

BTW, for those who are interested Jaz is still with us for the moment, however the situation has not improved, just prolonged a little (it's been a while since 7-10 days expired!)

Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry if I seem harsh Golf Houso, but we try to promote friendliness and co-operation here, and as our numbers climb above 700, it is still as important as ever.

Cheers
John :cool:

KI11Z
02-03-2007, 10:50 AM
man, my "cheap ass" comment had a "j: " after it = joke . . .

peedman
02-03-2007, 03:11 PM
If you can make em cheap, then thats great. Why you brought Loon into this topic i have nfi. If your unhappy with how he conducts his business, then dont fooking buy from him! Its that simple.

DubSteve
02-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Golf Houso, like said by many mk3ers before me, If you don't have anything good to say don't say anything.

I'm all for the cosmetic changes some are good some are bad that is totally up to you and good on you.

Funny you guys weren't cristisicing the DIY intake systems on the MK3's with tubing that was apt to melt in a few weeks, now that was "cheap ass"...

This has been proven to work in the past and if done correctly can be a very positive and effetive modification. Yes you did get one thing right 'Cheap', yes. But the plastic that is used is heat treated and thus for this application is more than adequate for the application. I'm not sure what you used but if it melts then you didn't do something right or you were using glad wrap!

My point is this, I believe that it is very possible to make "cheap ass" exterior mods that are still tasteful. The concept of paying anything more than $10 for a eyelids on a car that is essentially nothing more than a shopping trolley is pure insanity. To prove you are all horribly wrong, I shall develop, design and mass produce tasteful cheap and good looking golf mk3 eyelids.

If you can pull this off congratulations well done, would love to see this mod, but I'm sorry if you are going to the right thing then get a bowser put on it. Looks good and a great finish.

Don't forget that the thing is it will only be $10 when there is a substantial amount of buyers that buy your product, if not then its $60 bucks on your hand + paint.

Do not bad mouth the man that imports half of your parts for your car. If you see and read the text correctly, he is not out to sell, sell sell!!! He states if need be I have this part if you want give me a call and we can go from there, whether or not people go to him thats there porrogative. But don't put shame on Matt for helping.

PS

on a car that is essentially nothing more than a shopping trolley

Golfs are not shopping trolleysn:

golf3
02-03-2007, 07:22 PM
After some comments in this thread creating some heat, I will be forced to lock the thread...

Any problems, then please PM me...

Thanks guys!