PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 6 MPS Dash

mdonohoe
28-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey Guys,

Anybody seen a Mazda 6 MPS dash for a VW Polo??? Like the Smokey Gauges that you can buy for performance gauges(Black with no voltage, white faces appear with voltage applied).

Thanks
Matt

jasn78
28-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Matt been looking at the ones in at auto bahn for lilke 70 bukcs each thinkin of something simliar but just in the spare din slot i now have with change of stereo

mdonohoe
28-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Mate,

They are boost gauges etc(about $250 on ebay)... I'm really looking to replace the existing guages as the M6 MPS dash looks awesome.

Thanks
Matt

gpk_gti
28-02-2007, 07:49 PM
hey,I got the steering column set,boost and airflow,that are balck with no voltage and white when on.I think they are called GLOW something.Got them from ebay,but they are second hand and have the mounting that make it look like factory.is that the ones you are talking about?? fitting very soon
:D

mdonohoe
28-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Talking about REV/Fuel/Temp etc essentially the factory gauges but smokey so they dont appear when no voltage but appear when voltage is applied.

Thanks
Matt

gpk_gti
28-02-2007, 07:54 PM
so as a complete unit or just the overlays??

Rocket
28-02-2007, 09:04 PM
I am not familiar with the MPS dash, but there are two types of technologies that may be used.

1. Black Panel Technology - these instrument clusters have a very smokey dark/black lens, and the gauges are dark coloured, but when ignition activated, the gauges light up brighter than normal gauges so you can see them though the dark lens. It gives that stealthy look when the car is off. I know say subaru lib 3.0GT etc use it.

2. Electroluminescent (EL) Dials - These i think are used in the toyota corollas now, they are a dial (actually white when voltage not applied) that illuminates a bluey/green colour when voltage is applied to the material.

Both technologies work completely different in terms of instrument cluster construction, and you may find it hard to find what your looking for, becuase it would probably require a completely new instrument cluster. You would probably have a chance of doing black panel, but would require new dial/gauges, and new smokey lens. But you would probably find then its not bright enough through the lens, especially during the day.

BlackVr6ix
01-03-2007, 08:13 AM
unless your getting the proper Defi gauges, the ones from autobarn and alike are not good quality at all. if you do purchase them use them purely as a monitor. if normally it was at half and now its at a quarter something is wrong.