PDA

View Full Version : v6 tdi brakes

budget
11-01-2010, 06:45 AM
hi everybody ,just a question re; brakes on the touareg.i am a little confused or am missing something here, brakes seem to be the most talked about maintanance issue with these vehicles. why are there so many rotors getting replaced when all you should be doing is replaceing pads? obviously if the maintanance is not being carried out an you damage the rotors and you cant reface them ok. are they somehow matched with the new pads? it seems a very silly high expenditure on a item that should never,ever need replacing.
thanks in advance.

LDV R5
11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
Not too sure about the Touareg yet, as I'm obviously still learning.

But to say that rotors are a never need to be replaced item just isn't true anymore.

HSV AP Racing rotors are replaced every 60,000km. (HSV will not sell the OEM pads separately from the rotors - and it is not possible to buy rotors aftermarket as they are a non standard size.)

FPV are much the same with their Brembo units.

Ford Falcons are renowned for burning through rotors every 30-60,000km also (at least the older E series were anyway).

Rotors are now a much more expendable item.

As braking performance increases so does the associated wear and tear. Thus rotors that used to last the life of a car now no longer do.

Transporter
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
hi everybody ,just a question re; brakes on the touareg.i am a little confused or am missing something here, brakes seem to be the most talked about maintanance issue with these vehicles. why are there so many rotors getting replaced when all you should be doing is replaceing pads? obviously if the maintanance is not being carried out an you damage the rotors and you cant reface them ok. are they somehow matched with the new pads? it seems a very silly high expenditure on a item that should never,ever need replacing.
thanks in advance.

It probably also depend how do you drive and where. My daughter drives our Treg almost 100% of the time and at bit over 30,000km I don't see any wear on the rotors, she drives in morning and afternoon traffic a lot.

Also 20 years ago (that's probably the time you refer to) there was not such traffic like today and people were driving differently and different cars too. :)

apom
11-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I had this issue on a Honda Jazz I had until recently. Speaking with the local brake guy, a guy with over 35 years experience, said is was now common place to replace rotors. Some cars are apparently notoriously bad, like some Holden Astra's need them replacing in as little as 30,000K.

On performance vehicles and 4wd's he said it was also due to a combination of the increased braking requirements along with larger and heavier vehicles.

His main point was however, about changing rotors, was that as we no longer use asbestos in the pad linings the materials now used are simply not as good and this impacts on rotor life!

thevwbug
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
thanks in advance.

Most VW have a soft rotor and hard pads, Touareg have sensors in the pads.
you will get around 50K out of fronts

gslrallysport
12-01-2010, 10:12 AM
HSV AP Racing rotors are replaced every 60,000km. (HSV will not sell the OEM pads separately from the rotors - and it is not possible to buy rotors aftermarket as they are a non standard size.)

FPV are much the same with their Brembo units.
What? We've got both rotors and pads available for the complete HSV AP range (including the 6 pot VZ premium brakes and VE 4 pot) and the complete Brembo FPV range... who told you that???

gslrallysport
12-01-2010, 10:14 AM
His main point was however, about changing rotors, was that as we no longer use asbestos in the pad linings the materials now used are simply not as good and this impacts on rotor life!
Definitely! Rotors are as much of an expendible item as pads these days... European rotors tend to fair worse though, replace them with an Australian type rotor from RDA and DBA, and you'll find they'll last longer...

T Rex
15-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Most VW have a soft rotor and hard pads, Touareg have sensors in the pads.
you will get around 50K out of fronts

I have just had a 30,000 service on the V6 TDI and the service centre reported I still have 80% wear left on the pads and rotors. Having just completed a trip to Adelaide and back towing a car on trailer I was very happy with this. The big advantage of the TDI is the superb engine braking and this helps reduce the wear on brakes but all Touaregs have big brakes so they don't work too hard.

And yes, rotors are a consumable item on cars these days but they are usually quite reasonably priced. For example a Mk 3 Golf costs about $500 for pads/rotors for all four wheels. Geoff

Update. Just had 45,000km service and have been told we have about 5,000 km left in front brakes so maybe the 30,000 report mentioned above was rather optimistic. Have been quoted approx $1300 S&F - maybe someone can let me know if this is about right. Thanks . Geoff.

T Rex
09-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Just thought I would add to my previous post.

Astounded that at 30,000km I was told that I had 80% wear left and then at 45,000km told I only had 5000km left I decided to do some checking. Using a set of digital vernier calipers (the end bit which measures depth) I checked how much the front rotors had worn down from the outer rim - only a bit over 0.50mm (half the 1.00mm limit each side). That means that at 48,000km they are only just over half worn. A visual inspection of the pads showed plenty of pad material left (the limit is 2mm).

Now all this is possible to measure with the car parked, wheels on. I would recommend checking your wear yourself before taking the word of the service department. If you don't already have a digital caliper they are available for around the $100 mark.

BTW I do plan to change the rotors/pads/sensor myself - the parts for the front 17" Brembo brakes are less than $600 from Tooley Imports in Hornsby, NSW. Geoff.

Transporter
09-01-2011, 07:22 PM
At 46500km and 4mm friction material remaining "Check Brake Pads" message appeared, will go for slotted discs and aftermarket pads to get rid of that nasty squeal every time the brakes cool down and car starts moving, it wakes up whole neighborhood in the morning. :facepalm:

Transporter
15-03-2011, 02:19 PM
At just bit over 50,000km now our front pads will need replacing.

This is what they look like on V6 TDI with 17" wheels and 330mm Brembo discs.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/Touareg20front20pad-1.jpg

Pads ordered from our forum sponsor GSL Rally Sport.

Transporter
07-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Front brakes replaced now, the rear ones still have 3mm+ remaining indicators aren't on yet.

Here is the picture of the front brake disc. Despite it looks not that bad they have to be replaced, since there is only 1mm on each side of the disc allowed for wear, so the discs would be 2mm undersized (the scrap limit or min thickness is 32mm). I used RDA slotted discs with Remsa front pads, the back brakes will get also slotted discs but with the Bendix 4WD brake pads.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/R0041539JPG-1.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/R0041540JPG-1.jpg

And the new discs fitted.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/04/R0041541JPG-1.jpg

Ricardo1
22-04-2011, 03:01 PM
HI,

I have just changed my pads, rotors, sensors at 105,000 Km which is about right. The original brakes are OEMed from Brembo by VW and I was quoted $2,100 for the job inclusive of labour/GST by my local VW dealer on the Gold Caost. I end up going with a mate who sources the kits direct from Germany and charged $1,400 all up. As a matter of interest my first set of pads went on a Kimberley trip at 53,000 Km and cost $1400 just for pads and sensors in Broome. They came in Brembo boxes so could be the reason for the high cost or could just be the Pilbara tax as the locals call it!!! Lesson being get all your maintenace done before heading to WA. Talking of which you have to replace both the internal timing and external aux belt around the 100,000 km mark so Trekies get expensive at 100,000 Kms. I have also been advised to check the drive shaft central bearing carriage as are known as a weakness but have yet to get around to that. Otherwise love the V6 TDI and it pulls the camper trailer a dream so will be heading back to the Gibb river road for more fun later this year.

thanks in advance.

biggus
06-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Transporter,

Where would you recommend I get the rotors and all the gear from in Adelaide? I am just up the hill from you.....

thanks, Gus. 2009 V6TDI, also marvellous......

Front brakes replaced now, the rear ones still have 3mm+ remaining indicators aren't on yet.

Here is the picture of the front brake disc. Despite it looks not that bad they have to be replaced, since there is only 1mm on each side of the disc allowed for wear, so the discs would be 2mm undersized (the scrap limit or min thickness is 32mm). I used RDA slotted discs with Remsa front pads, the back brakes will get also slotted discs but with the Bendix 4WD brake pads.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/12/R0041539JPG-1.jpg http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/12/R0041540JPG-1.jpg

And the new discs fitted.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/12/R0041541JPG-1.jpg

Transporter
06-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Don't use RDA brake discs, they will distort. I have bought new discs since. Got them from Solitaire. The Bendix rear pads are OK, no difference in braking performance and they don't wear out the discs like the OEM pads. For the front there is no real alternative to OEM pads, the Remsa pads produce almost the same amount of dust as the original pads did, OK maybe the wheels stay clean for 3 days rather than 2 days. :(

biggus
06-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Solitaire expensive?