PDA

View Full Version : Polo with new boots

FL00DY
27-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi all. As I type this my GTI is sitting at home with brand spanking new Preceda 2 tyres. I've been in Melb for the last two weeks for work (still here). The last I drove my GTI the Conti's were rather slick, so after the new tyres, the Corolla hire car I've had, and the 2.5 weeks without a drive, my first drive back will feel like the day I picked her up :D

And to top it off, I have Friday off. Some mates and I (MINI owners) are driving down to Canberra, will give Brindabella Road a good going over. Stay over night in Canberra, then on to Thredbo for a Saturday full of twists and turns. Stay Thredders on Sat night, will make my second walk to the top of Australia on Sunday :D and then home to Sydney. Can't wait, will let you all know how the P2's go.

Glide_GTI
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
sweet dude, let us know how the tires are :D

are you chipped yet?

FL00DY
04-03-2007, 06:57 PM
In terms of roads, forget OPH, forget Macq Pass, forget Putty. These are the best roads I've ever driven in NSW or ACT. The amount of corners, the tightness, and then straights that give you a short break before corners that make you think 'these SOOO much are better then the last'. And they just keep getting better.

The big thing about those roads is they aren't something that people from Sydney or South Coast (like OPH or Macq Pass) use to get from place to place; these roads are empty. I think the longest we got held up was 15km, and that was last 15km before arriving in Thredbo village. Clockwise was the way to go for this drive.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/03/13703915M-1.jpg
The Stages I guess you could call them, were:
Cooma to Kiandra (Purple) 82.5km
Kiandra to Khancoban (Orange) 77.3km
Khancoban to Thredbo (Green) 81.7km
The drive from Canberra to Thredbo is 211km and for the most part boring highway stretches, but LONG overtaking chances ;) So about 450km, the friend and I that I went down on Friday morning did about 1200km in 2 days. We went down via the coast and went across to the Federal highway through Braidwood.

Remember that before Friday morning, the last I drove my car was 11th Feb. The Conti's had stuff all tread and grip. I don't know if it's because I now know how to drive my car FAST or if it's cause the Preceda 2's are that good but I had lots more grip, LOTS more, and it allowed me lots more corner speed. I don't want to give too much away in a public forum :D There were corners that with the old Conti's I wouldn't have dared put my foot on the gas, but with the P2's I could power out of the corner much earlier. Not once did I get messed up and lose control, whether it was braking, turning, accelerating. I know some people have had concerns with the braking performance of the Polo, well I had no problem. The car did everything I wanted it to, and I stuck with the lead MINI through all the corners.

Whoever is due for a new set of tyres, P2's all the way. I paid bout $900 for tyres and the usual alignment and balance.

The downside for drives like this and taking this car is the petrol. I'm forever having to worry about how many till empty. Not sure if any other drivers have this problem, but it's rather annoying.

A thanks to minigolf for that map.

FL00DY
04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Oh yeh Damo, no I'm not chipped yet :( But if I could drive those roads everyday I wouldn't need a chip, some coilovers and a swaybar maybe :D

Hope everything is coming together OK with your prang, barstards.

Eddy
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=FL00DY]Oh yeh Damo, no I'm not chipped yet :( But if I could drive those roads everyday I wouldn't need a chip, some coilovers and a swaybar maybe

Hoyhoy.
Watch out for the sway bar, ask Guy from Harding Performance.
P.S. If you had the chip you wouldn't switch it off, that I guarantee.

FL00DY
04-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Oh yeh Damo, no I'm not chipped yet :( But if I could drive those roads everyday I wouldn't need a chip, some coilovers and a swaybar maybe

Hoyhoy.
Watch out for the sway bar, ask Guy from Harding Performance.
P.S. If you had the chip you wouldn't switch it off, that I guarantee.
hhmmm Guy's in QLD, I'm in NSW + I got Seb to talk to :D

I prob would never turn the chip off, but I also wouldn't need the extra power for those roads. I was already going as fast you can without falling down the mountain.

Timbo
04-03-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't know what Guy is on about. I've fitted a rear sway bar, and its improved the cars handling significantly, without any ill effects. Maybe there were other effects, or it was set on the firmest setting. A RSB that's been properly tuned to the car's suspension should not lead to any 'surprises'.

Floody, that's a great drive. There are some other risks: wildlife, and logging trucks on some sections during the week

Eddy
04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
I prob would never turn the chip off, but I also wouldn't need the extra power for those roads. I was already going as fast you can without falling down the mountain.[/QUOTE]

Hoyhoy.
Bull poop.

FL00DY
04-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I prob would never turn the chip off, but I also wouldn't need the extra power for those roads. I was already going as fast you can without falling down the mountain.

Hoyhoy.
Bull poop.
OK first, fix your quotes, cause they dont work.

And second. Have you driven that road? Have you driven the roads that I have? Have you done the km's in your Polo that I've done in mine? Have you spent Sunday after Sunday driving VERY twisty roads with great friends? Because I thought I wanted a chip when I first got it, but now I'd rather improve the handling. So you do what you want with your car, and I'll do what I want with mine.

Timbo, I was surprised there wasn't more wildlife on the roads. It's something we are all wary of. The lead MINI hit a Kangaroo a few years ago around Canberra roads the first couple of weeks after picking it up :(

Timbo
05-03-2007, 07:22 AM
One thing chipping does do is to provide much more torque lower down, which - in twisty roads - gives you the ability to use 3rd more. Likewise 4th on certain tight but sweeping turns.

But I agree. Improve handling and braking first, then more power ;)

FL00DY
05-03-2007, 07:37 AM
One thing chipping does do is to provide much more torque lower down, which - in twisty roads - gives you the ability to use 3rd more. Likewise 4th on certain tight but sweeping turns.

But I agree. Improve handling and braking first, then more power ;)
Thats a good point, I forgot about the torque increase

Lima
05-03-2007, 10:08 AM
They're great roads. :cool:

I'm pretty keen to get to them a bit more often I think. I reckon a round trip from Canberra, with few stops could be done in around 6 hours.

:D

Timbo
05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
I could be interested ;)

pologti_oldfart
05-03-2007, 02:01 PM
I would be in that too

FL00DY
05-03-2007, 02:03 PM
VW Run to the mountains then :D I could handle a drive before snow season.

WRXconvert
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Im in! i love the alpine way... especially down toward tom groggin... starts getting really exciting. : D

Eddy
05-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Thats a good point, I forgot about the torque increase
Hoyhoy.
You would probably forget your HEAD if it wasn't screwed on.
P.S. No1. Torque increase is only 48%.
P.S. No2. End of conversation on my behalf.

FL00DY
05-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Hoyhoy.
You would probably forget your HEAD if it wasn't screwed on.
P.S. No1. Torque increase is only 48%.
P.S. No2. End of conversation on my behalf.
Well **** mate I didn't hear you bring up that very good point. ONLY 48% :? n: So yes please leave the discussion. Least you learnt how to quote properly.

GTIJNR
07-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Well **** mate I didn't hear you bring up that very good point. ONLY 48% :? n: So yes please leave the discussion. Least you learnt how to quote properly.

lol
calm boys...
Good to hear u change the boot of the polo to something better and get good result. The polo was always mean to have 17", as the cup version didn't run on conti's. Most car manufs tune their sups base on the boots... I think VW put conti's on our Aus car b/c of our road quality, I mean they don't wanna keep on replace buckle rims all the time so yeah conti softer tyre's wall are prefect.
I've tried 17*8 et35 on the polo and its very tight fit, close to the shocks inner side, n out side lips spot on (hitting) the guards if the cars dump. That may looks good if the car on coilover (min shocks travel dist) and 215 profile but again that would do bugger all for handling so yeah im still making decision... And then tyres ohhh, may be yoko advan?
I've ran on Great Ocean Road a few times and these conti's like high psi, tried various pressure and turn out VW recommended psi are spot on... also less understeer as the tyres wear in and have a bit more scars on em, but at 10 thousand kms, the wear on my tyres is prefectly equal. happy 4 now:cool: