PDA

View Full Version : Funny noises from the rear ??

Subie25L
27-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Got the car booked in on monday to get some things checked out.
Car has just done 5000km

1) the ski port latch is not locking in at all
2) There is a knocking sound comming from the rear when driving less then 30kmh in traffic and the road is full of bumps and lumps from road repairs.

The knocking sounds like it could be the exhaust or suspension. I can sometimes replicate it by going over a speed hump with one wheel. It doesn't happen with both rear wheels going over together.
Anyone here had a similar sound or problem ?

gtimk5
27-02-2007, 03:23 PM
No noises here Subie...:)

drb999
27-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Is it a metalic clunk noise? But more like dropping a coin many times over and over again? I have a problem that I've visually narrowed down to the baby seat "connectors" (I don't have a baby seat installed) basically clanking around when driving on such roads as you described.

This is on a Jetta.

Oneofthegreats
27-02-2007, 08:21 PM
My GTI is 1700km's old now and has just developed the same style of noise. This weekend i'm going in search of this illusive noise. I'm wondering if it was like my MK2 and when the rear hatch latch loosens slightly it begins to creak and groan.

Jared

Dr Spine
27-02-2007, 11:34 PM
No noises here

JBSGTI
28-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey,

Yeah had the same problem here......in the same areas. Havent had anyone look at it yet - would be interested to find out what it is *sounds* like the rear tailgate is loose.

Subie25L
01-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Hey,

Yeah had the same problem here......in the same areas. Havent had anyone look at it yet - would be interested to find out what it is *sounds* like the rear tailgate is loose.

Origially it sounded like the exhaust might have come off a mount. I checked them and they are ok. The though it might be suspension related but there is no difference in the way it handles and i jacked the car up last night and had a look and everything looked ok. Also checked the spare and all the tools and they are all secure.

It is slowly getting worse each day. I think you might right in regards to the tailgate. Will let you know Monday night what they tell me it is.

vinderliker
01-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Too much cabbage or onions!!!!! Sorry could not resist.

Got the car booked in on monday to get some things checked out.
Car has just done 5000km

1) the ski port latch is not locking in at all
2) There is a knocking sound comming from the rear when driving less then 30kmh in traffic and the road is full of bumps and lumps from road repairs.

The knocking sounds like it could be the exhaust or suspension. I can sometimes replicate it by going over a speed hump with one wheel. It doesn't happen with both rear wheels going over together.
Anyone here had a similar sound or problem ?

Subie25L
02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Too much cabbage or onions!!!!! Sorry could not resist.

Don't forget the the beans :D

Lima
02-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I really think it's time you let your wife out of the boot mate. This joke has gone on long enough.

Guy_H
02-03-2007, 10:17 AM
http://www.defenselink.mil/photos/Oct2004/041011-N-4614W-084.jpg

Guy_H
02-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Now the pic wasn't supposed to be that big, but I cant edit my post :confused:

Subie25L
05-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Well got the car back this arvo.

They replaced the complete Ski port and traced the noise to the rear swaybar. They said they didn't replace anything but basically removed and reinstalled it and the noise is now gone. My guess is that one of the swaybar mounts to the underbody needed some tightening.

itgwv
05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Well got the car back this arvo.

They replaced the complete Ski port and traced the noise to the rear swaybar. They said they didn't replace anything but basically removed and reinstalled it and the noise is now gone. My guess is that one of the swaybar mounts to the underbody needed some tightening.

May well just have been needing some grease on the sway bar mount bushes. If it has those as was a problem on a friends WRX when we changed the bar.

lol the ski port i think is an issue on nearly all GTi's or golfs. Never clicks back into lock postion without some hassle. Mine does it as does my dads. Can always tell when the red is showing while looking from the boot side. I even fixed it on the demo i drove before buying mine.:) Small things like that drive you nuts.

acdcfan
11-03-2007, 12:20 PM
No noises here yet, but will keep my ears out for it

acdcfan
10-05-2007, 11:22 PM
No noises here yet, but will keep my ears out for it

Funny quoting myself but tonight noises appear form the rear. Will add to my list