PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Motor Events

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
G'day all!

I was wondering what events were coming up this year with regards to motor events, especially Rally's. I was thinking of putting in for the Adelade classic which is up in november, but obviously have to go to some dodgey other state to get into it. I was thinking of running my little Alfa in it, but I have no idea whats going on....Can anyone fill me in?

Cheers Guys....

quozl
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
AASA Events
Australian Tarmac Rally Championship

Round One: Mt Buller Sprint - Mansfield / Mt Buller Victoria December 4th to 6th 2009
http://www.mountainmotorsports.com.au/
Event Run

Round Two: Targa Wrest Point - Hobart 29, 30, 31 of January
http://www.targawrestpoint.com.au/
Entries Closed event is full

Round Three: Lake Mountain Sprint - Marysville March 19, 20 & 21st
Entries Open spots available

Round Four: Targa Tasmania - 27th April - 2nd May 2010
http://www.targa.org.au/
Entries Open send in application to compete

The 2010 / 2011 AASA Australian Tarmac Rally Championship starts with Mt Buller Sprint in December again though there is talk of a new event in August to take it to 5 rounds.

CAMS Events

Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally
21st to 23rd May
http://www.asprally.com/
Entries Open

Targa South West WA
29-30 May 2010
http://www.targawest.com.au/
Entries Open

QUIT Targa West
26th - 29th August
Entries Open

Classic Adelaide
17 to 21st November
http://www.classicadelaide.com.au/ca10/index.asp
Entries Open

That should get you started, if you check the supp regs for Targa Tasmania you will find what class the Alfa would run in and therefore what mods are allowed but suffice to say in most instances if it meets the Targa Tasmania AASA Championship rules there isn't much you will have to do to it to make it legal for the CAMS events and vice versa other than if you are going to run in both CAMS and AASA events to make sure you have the appropriate CAMS logbook and National Rally license and the appropriate AASA License and logbook.

Also if you are interested in Targa Tasmania for 2011 it is the twentieth anniversary so best get your entry in early to get a spot. If there is anything else you need to know feel free to send me a PM with any questions, Marti and I have entered all the rounds of the Australian Tarmac Championship this year and were lucky enough to pick up Tarmac Magazine Scholarship which helped with some of the entry fee for Targa Tasmania which is something you could apply for the 2011 event when Tarmac magazine announces it.

Cheers Al

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
AASA Events
Australian Tarmac Rally Championship

Round One: Mt Buller Sprint - Mansfield / Mt Buller Victoria December 4th to 6th 2009
Event Run

Round Two: Targa Wrest Point - Hobart 29, 30, 31 of January
http://www.targawrestpoint.com.au/
Entries Closed event is full

Round Three: Lake Mountain Sprint - Marysville March 19, 20 & 21st
Entries Open spots available

Round Four: Targa Tasmania - 27th April - 2nd May 2010
http://www.targa.org.au/
Entries Open send in application to compete

The 2010 / 2011 AASA Australian Tarmac Rally Championship starts with Mt Buller Sprint in December again though there is talk of a new event in August to take it to 5 rounds.

CAMS Events

Adelaide Hills Tarmac Rally
21st to 23rd May
http://www.asprally.com/
Entries Open

Targa South West WA
29-30 May 2010
Entries Open

QUIT Targa West
26th - 29th August
Entries Open

Classic Adelaide
17 to 21st November
http://www.classicadelaide.com.au/ca10/index.asp
Entries Open

That should get you started, if you check the supp regs for Targa Tasmania you will find what class the Alfa would run in and therefore what mods are allowed but suffice to say in most instances if it meets the Targa Tasmania AASA Championship rules there isn't much you will have to do to it to make it legal for the CAMS events and vice versa other than if you are going to run in both CAMS and AASA events to make sure you have the appropriate CAMS logbook and National Rally license and the appropriate AASA License and logbook.

Also if you are interested in Targa Tasmania for 2011 it is the twentieth anniversary so best get your entry in early to get a spot. If there is anything else you need to know feel free to send me a PM with any questions, Marti and I have entered all the rounds of the Australian Tarmac Championship this year and were lucky enough to pick up Tarmac Magazine Scholarship which helped with some of the entry fee for Targa Tasmania which is something you could apply for the 2011 event when Tarmac magazine announces it.

Cheers Al

Wow, thanks for all of that Al, Seems I best move southward, as there doesnt seem to be much happening up here :(

Congrats on the schollarship, I am only now working out just how much all of this stuff costs! Nothing fun is cheap now-a-days is it:brutal:.....Anyway, thanks for that again. Might see you guys down there.

Tim

quozl
03-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Wow, thanks for all of that Al, Seems I best move southward, as there doesnt seem to be much happening up here :(

Congrats on the schollarship, I am only now working out just how much all of this stuff costs! Nothing fun is cheap now-a-days is it:brutal:.....Anyway, thanks for that again. Might see you guys down there.

Tim

Hi Tim, yea nothing up here any more, there used to be Suncoast Rally but that was cancelled and the Dutton Rally (now ATC) don't even have an event up here any more as the government makes it too difficult for them.

Our R32 lives in Tasmania now permanently as all the events are in the southern states and it's cheaper to leave it there and fly down.

Once you get the car built and safety gear out of the way you can do the events on a budget and it is certainly worth it in the long run. We have been lucky to pick up some sponsorship from a few companies and just picked up Kumho as a tyre sponsor and that helps heaps but the biggest saving is teaming up with other guys with similar cars or in a similar class. It is a great way to spread the costs of service crew etc across a few teams as well combine sponsorship opportunities etc.

A mate is building a Alfa 1600 Junior so I can put you in contact with him as he has a lot of contacts for parts etc if needed, just let me know. Would be great to have another Qld'er running in the rallies.

Cheers Al

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi Tim, yea nothing up here any more, there used to be Suncoast Rally but that was cancelled and the Dutton Rally (now ATC) don't even have an event up here any more as the government makes it too difficult for them.

Our R32 lives in Tasmania now permanently as all the events are in the southern states and it's cheaper to leave it there and fly down.

Once you get the car built and safety gear out of the way you can do the events on a budget and it is certainly worth it in the long run. We have been lucky to pick up some sponsorship from a few companies and just picked up Kumho as a tyre sponsor and that helps heaps but the biggest saving is teaming up with other guys with similar cars or in a similar class. It is a great way to spread the costs of service crew etc across a few teams as well combine sponsorship opportunities etc.

A mate is building a Alfa 1600 Junior so I can put you in contact with him as he has a lot of contacts for parts etc if needed, just let me know. Would be great to have another Qld'er running in the rallies.

Cheers Al

Bloody G'ments :P ohwell I think motorsport is making a comeback, well at least I can hope it is, ignorance is bliss lol.....

As for the car, Plan is to finish building it soonish, get it onto Lakeside or something see how it's going and all, and then hopefully get it down to do a few rallies. Its a road car, so its not going to be serious, but should be fun all the same. I have been talking to a few mates about going in as a group, and they all seem to be talk but no go, as per usual I guess.

As for your mate with the Junior, is he in Brisbane? Im fairly involved with the alfa scene up here, Just wondering if I'd know him. But yes it would be good to get a few QLD'ers into the rallies. See how we go I guess.

Is there much involvement from people on this site?

quozl
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Craig is in Sydney but he bought the car from a guy on the Sunshine coast a couple of months ago. Here is a picture of it
http://www.users.on.net/~quozl/Images/Alfa%201600%20Junior/_0140.jpg

There are a few guys here in Brisbane who are doing the rallies covering most of the classic, modern and showroom classes but no one else in a VW from QLD currently.

I don't know anyone else on here doing the championship this year but Geoff Hale from Victoria is doing some gravel stuff and Volksee77 from WA (Luke) has done Targa WA and went really well 2nd in class if I remember correctly http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33534 and we're trying to get him to come and do Targa.

Guy Harding has done Targa before in a Bug and won his class and does a fair few track days and Dutton stuff but his car doesn't meet the rules for AASA or CAMS events currently. Other than that there is Marius in his S2000 Polo who does some ARC events his last being the Australian Round of the WRC last year. I'm not aware of anyone else on here competing in rallies but I am probably mistaken. There is also Rob (Manaz) who is helping us out and is joining us in Tassie for the week of Targa and will be looking after all the IT stuff for the team from downloading video to updating the website with pics and news of the cars. So I guess there are a few of us involved and it would be great to have more so let us know if there is anything you are wondering about with regards to the rules or classes or whatever.

Cheers Al

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Craig is in Sydney but he bought the car from a guy on the Sunshine coast a couple of months ago. Here is a picture of it
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

There are a few guys here in Brisbane who are doing the rallies covering most of the classic, modern and showroom classes but no one else in a VW from QLD currently.

I don't know anyone else on here doing the championship this year but Geoff Hale from Victoria is doing some gravel stuff and Volksee77 from WA (Luke) has done Targa WA and went really well 2nd in class if I remember correctly http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33534 and we're trying to get him to come and do Targa.

Guy Harding has done Targa before in a Bug and won his class and does a fair few track days and Dutton stuff but his car doesn't meet the rules for AASA or CAMS events currently. Other than that there is Marius in his S2000 Polo who does some ARC events his last being the Australian Round of the WRC last year. I'm not aware of anyone else on here competing in rallies but I am probably mistaken. There is also Rob (Manaz) who is helping us out and is joining us in Tassie for the week of Targa and will be looking after all the IT stuff for the team from downloading video to updating the website with pics and news of the cars. So I guess there are a few of us involved and it would be great to have more so let us know if there is anything you are wondering about with regards to the rules or classes or whatever.

Cheers Al

Funny thing about that car, I know the bloke who owned it, he is a nice guy actually and can drive a bit. The bloke I take my car to get serviced and all, worked on that car too from memory, but there ya go....

Ohwell sounds like I will have to get involved in this car, get it running and get into some events!....

Cheers mate.

quozl
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow Small world, we went up to Tony's place to check it out intially for Craig and then again a week later when Craig flew up to finalise the purchase. Tony took me for a drive in it so I could let Craig know what it was like and we went on one of the Suncoast stages that was around his house, great little car and very quick. Craig bought it as he had one that was very similar a few years ago and always regretted selling it.

Edit: Oh I forgot there is also Ian Cudmore with his MKV R32 who is rallying and Nick Strange both from Newcastle who co drove for Ian. Nick is currently building a 2005 Alfa Romeo 147 GTA Monza for Targa and is going to run it in the showroom class.

Cheers Al

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow Small world, we went up to Tony's place to check it out intially for Craig and then again a week later when Craig flew up to finalise the purchase. Tony took me for a drive in it so I could let Craig know wjat it was like and we went on one of the Suncoast stages that was around his house, great little car and very quick. Craig bought it as he had one that was very similar a few years ago and always regretted selling it.

Cheers Al

I know I'm on the wrong website here, But they are a fantastic little motor car. Alfa do know how to make a car, despite certain failures in electrical components :P.....I have a little alfa 33 with a 1.7 16v motor in it. I Honestly reckon it would give the VR a hurry up in a straight line if not beat it, and around a set of corners, its just so much fun to drive, always makes me smile....when its working :P

What are the 32's like to drive, are they a fun car or just basically quick and nothing really bothers it?

quozl
03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
I know I'm on the wrong website here, But they are a fantastic little motor car. Alfa do know how to make a car, despite certain failures in electrical components :P.....I have a little alfa 33 with a 1.7 16v motor in it. I Honestly reckon it would give the VR a hurry up in a straight line if not beat it, and around a set of corners, its just so much fun to drive, always makes me smile....when its working :P

What are the 32's like to drive, are they a fun car or just basically quick and nothing really bothers it?

32 is fun to drive and usually very stable, but they hate getting light on the suspension over yumps etc that is about the only time it gets unstable.

The main problem though is it is a heavy pig and we need more power to compete with the Evo's and Sti's, mainly out of the corners when they come on boost, in saying that we will make a decision after Targa whether to keep it and build the engine up to the limit of the rules or get something newer, hopefully still in the VW family but with more ability to increase boost and with a better version of the AWD system :)

Coxy09
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
32 is fun to drive and usually very stable, but they hate getting light on the suspension over yumps etc that is about the only time it gets unstable.

The main problem though is it is a heavy pig and we need more power to compete with the Evo's and Sti's, mainly out of the corners when they come on boost, in saying that we will make a decision after Targa whether to keep it and build the engine up to the limit of the rules or get something newer, hopefully still in the VW family but with more ability to increase boost and with a better version of the AWD system :)

Funny you say that about the car, When you work out what your going to do, can you tell me, as I dont really want to Turbo a VR6 as they are fwd, but I do want more power, I just dont know what to get.

seangti
04-01-2010, 10:39 AM
hey coxy, I'm hoping to do quite a few track days this year, mainly the sprints at QR and the odd one at lakeside perhaps (funds permitting). Might even look into some local motorkhana events to sharpen the hand/foot coordination.

The Alfa's have there own track sessions within the QR trackdays - always good fun to watch them racing each other.

Rallies are on the to-do list, though not this year and not this car.

Coxy09
04-01-2010, 04:28 PM
hey coxy, I'm hoping to do quite a few track days this year, mainly the sprints at QR and the odd one at lakeside perhaps (funds permitting). Might even look into some local motorkhana events to sharpen the hand/foot coordination.

The Alfa's have there own track sessions within the QR trackdays - always good fun to watch them racing each other.

Rallies are on the to-do list, though not this year and not this car.

Sean! its been a while matey! How you been?

If your out and about at qr this year it'd be good to catch up for a few of the events, Im trying to get the alfa back on track and running again, I dont really want to put the vr into events like that....hence the alfa. But should be good, Ill be sure to keep annoying you to find out when your heading out.

As for the alfa's I know they have their own days, but they do allow other people to join in, I still remember out there one day, having maloo's roaring up the straights, and the alfa's taking them by the second corner lol. I seem to recall holding a gt 40 up around a few corners, while he wasnt catching me i wasnt pulling away either, then on the back straight i nailed it, and thought i had him, next second he went roaring past me. My gf at the time couldnt stop laughing all the way home.

Anyway thats my life story done, but If i do get the chance to head down to a rally or two, are you keen for co-driver?

seangti
05-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Anyway thats my life story done, but If i do get the chance to head down to a rally or two, are you keen for co-driver?

hey mate, I've been well. Head down, bum up with work unfortunately.

I've got a few mates lining up for co-driver honours. We've talked about throwing money together to get a second car for such activities (i'm thinking swift GTi), but at the moment we're all trying to get more track time to improve our driving.

Might be at QR for the january sprint. Will probably wait till close to the date before committing. Will keep you posted.

Coxy09
08-01-2010, 09:59 AM
hey mate, I've been well. Head down, bum up with work unfortunately.

I've got a few mates lining up for co-driver honours. We've talked about throwing money together to get a second car for such activities (i'm thinking swift GTi), but at the moment we're all trying to get more track time to improve our driving.

Might be at QR for the january sprint. Will probably wait till close to the date before committing. Will keep you posted.

Sounds good mate, Ill keep my ear out for ya. I Dont know when this alfa will be done, its all being held up by a mixture of laziness and lack of money at the moment, but we will see how we go.

beeza
08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
in the VW family but with more ability to increase boost and with a better version of the AWD system :)

An R20 "when it comes out" perhaps??
However, it will still be a tad behind due to more focus on luxury unlike the other two (evo and sti). The compromise with the R20 will be driveability and equipment, something the other two just won't have. This is where the R20s downfall will be. The R20 will be too nice and refined, the other two just have some big turbos on em with lots of lag but with higher peak power and torque. Same with the equipment, The R20 will feel far more luxurious than the other two which also brings along with it added weight. The R20 simply just will not be as much focused as the other two as far a track/tarmac rallying are concerned.
I would love to be proven wrong, so i beckon you Al. I would love to see a VW take the crown from the far too overpopulated STI and EVO crowd.

Car looks great by the way, and good luck on your upcoming events. Someone's got to fly the VW flag.
I'll just be continuing my low key Super Sprint Events at Lakeside/QR. I'll try to get out to Morgan Park this year to experience that as well. Oh, i took out 3rd place in my class at the Lakeside Street Sprints last year in my little Ibiza, so my motorsport trophy collection is underway.

quozl
08-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Hey Laz great to hear your still hammering them in the Ibiza, you need to come join us in some rallies.

We've made no decisions yet on what we will use next year, too busy getting ready for Targa Wrest Point at the end of the month not to mention round 3 Lake Mountain and round four Targa Tas after that.

If we stay with VW it will either be in the same car with more work done to it or something built for the job from the start and purchased complete like this (http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/Tuning%20General%20Pages/Gallery%20Scirocco.html), there is noway I will start with a dealer car this time with all the interior and extra stuff in it.

Cheers mate see you over at Kedron VW soon :)

beeza
09-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Hey Laz great to hear your still hammering them in the Ibiza, you need to come join us in some rallies.

We've made no decisions yet on what we will use next year, too busy getting ready for Targa Wrest Point at the end of the month not to mention round 3 Lake Mountain and round four Targa Tas after that.

If we stay with VW it will either be in the same car with more work done to it or something built for the job from the start and purchased complete like this (http://www.volkswagenracing.co.uk/Tuning%20General%20Pages/Gallery%20Scirocco.html), there is noway I will start with a dealer car this time with all the interior and extra stuff in it.

Cheers mate see you over at Kedron VW soon :)

Hehe, loved to come out to do rallying (has always been my dream to run Targa) but economically and logistically is just can't happen. Motorsport is a rich mans game and it is just that ,"A GAME". Until you pay for it, its a game, when you get paid for it, then its a job. To do it properly as you already know, it is extremely expensive. You can have all the didication and even talent, unless you've got deep pockets, or someone willing to help out, the average man really can't roll with the big boys. It's just the way motosport is, and always has been. Some very lucky people have fallen into a seat in the past but even that takes a great amount of luck.
At the moment my budget only allows me to run on local tracks and only 6-10 times a year. My aim is to do a few sprints at Morgan Park. I might go out there with the Porsche Club boys once or twice, i've never been so it'll be a first for me on the track.
Catch yo soon at Kedron VW :werd:

seangti
11-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Laz, you'll like morgan park mate. I've only done it once in considerable rain (fortunate I was in the sooby) - I could only imagine having to clench my arse tighter if I was in prison at shower time. Not as likely to hit a wall as you are at Lakeside as there's run off, but more corners to cock up on and reasonably narrow if trying to pass. Would certainly reward your car as it's well balanced.

beeza
11-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Laz, you'll like morgan park mate. I've only done it once in considerable rain (fortunate I was in the sooby) - I could only imagine having to clench my arse tighter if I was in prison at shower time. Not as likely to hit a wall as you are at Lakeside as there's run off, but more corners to cock up on and reasonably narrow if trying to pass. Would certainly reward your car as it's well balanced.

Sean, yeah, i've watched some actual racing there on TV. I think it was the Porsche Cup or something. It looked like a lot of fun, so i'll definitely make an effort to get out there.
My car however, i believe, is only just adequate, balance wise. Suspension tuning goes far beyond a set of cheap coilovers and a set of roll-bars. It could be sooo much better. You've got to draw the line somewhere, and i've hit the wall for the time being. I doubt i'll spend any signifficant amount of money on it. At the end of the day its only an Ibiza.
I do have a few little things that will be going on it though. Some poly offset (1 deg of castor) wishbone bushes and a pair of ball joint extenders and anti bump steer kit. These will be the last set of mods that will be going on the car. I was looking at Wilwood calipers, but i may have to hold off on em till the second half of the year and then this will be it. No more, i'll just enjoy it the way it is i think.
I may see you out n about the odd track day or i might make an effort for the little meet or cruise coming up.
Cheers mate.