PDA

View Full Version : Any one put a Holden V6 in a T3 kombi

kombisaint
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi , has anyone put a Holden V6 in a T3 kombi , cheers Alec

IanJ
03-01-2010, 11:35 AM
http://www.kennedyeng.com/vw_por.htm

Kennedy do adaptors. Not sure what the GM equiv is of the Aussie V6.
Subaru seems to be the easier more travelled road. (I reckon the weight distribution would be better too)

Golf Loon
03-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah I have driven one with the 3.8VN engine.
Its a Buick engine in the States
Bit pointless really. Gear Ratios were all wrong and the side windows needed wipers.
Did good doughnuts.

Surely the T3s dont make much sense anymore when you can buy a T4 for cheaper that is better in every way.?

kombisaint
03-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for your comments ,I just love driving my T3 , it is so practical for me and great for camping ,I plan to keep it many years having already has it since 2001. I was thinking of using the auto box power steering and a 3.8lt VT engine . The T3s were available in South Africa with a V6 Ford Capri engine . cheers Alec

gldgti
03-01-2010, 06:43 PM
if you wanted to go for something a little more far sighted, maybe a 1.9TDI install would be a good idea - very popular to swap in vw diesel engines to the T3's ion the states - makes for an all round better package with torque, fuel economy and longevity.

IanJ
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I agree with gldgti. For longevity and driveability i'd go tdi. For power I'd look to Subaru.

Unless of course you have a V6 sitting there, but I'd look at other costs as you'll probably find it's more economical to sell the V6 and go VW or Subaru.

vwtyp2
05-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I haven't had a v6 in a T3, but I have had a V6 in a T2 and a Suby EJ20t in a T3.
Both have their merits. The V6 engine is a great option for towing etc. where the Suby is great for blowing off bommodores and falcoons and rice boxes off at the lights. The 4cyl turbo motor is quite economical, until it comes on boost, then it drinks like a fish.
Either way, make friends with an Auto Trans reconditioner.

JVLR32
13-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Subie motor is deffently a better option for kombie......look up aussieveedubbers.com few on there are doin subies......

whiteVR6
13-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Surely the T3s dont make much sense anymore when you can buy a T4 for cheaper that is better in every way.?

Some people require rear engine rear wheel drive cars

These guys have done quite a few conversions , best to chat with them : http://www.cbbvw.com/index2.html

revnit
25-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Ive seen holden v6's in a couple kombis also seen and been in a split window with twin turbo subaru liberty engine :bowdown:,

The holden v6 is a popular choice due to price and reliability, fuel economy isn't that bad you can pick up a v6 with wiring loom (which is very!! basic out of vn, vr, vs and early vt) cheap even better you can get a complete car for $500! being old Buick engines they run forever. also you can tow with a V6 comfortability, Subaru motors are also good bit more expensive overall buying the engine, spares and maintenance.

GoLfMan
25-01-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd do the V6 conversion.

Cheap, easily sourced, reliable and will be a very lazy car to drive as they are a torquey number :)

Golf Loon
25-01-2010, 10:08 PM
You need a better gearbox, a T3 Kombi has terrible ratios for a V6.
Would be horrific on the highway. i know I have driven one.

Personally I think the only good rear engined RWD car is a Porsche.