PDA

View Full Version : So went for a headjob today!

Golf Loon
09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Took my GTI cylinder head to the machinists today.

http://xs54.xs.to/pics/05453/P1230004.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs54&d=05453&f=P1230004.JPG)

As you can see, the water channels are all corroded and even go into the combustion chamber. I dont think there is a single one that would`nt need welding.

The guy just looked at it and went NO.

Fortunately at home I had this 1.8i head from an Audi. Fitted the GTI cam and got it skimmed. Ended up with this.

http://xs54.xs.to/pics/05453/P1230002.JPG.xs.jpg (http://xs.to/xs.php?h=xs54&d=05453&f=P1230002.JPG)

Next job is to put the thing back together....

imported_brackie
10-11-2005, 06:13 AM
How many heads have you seen like that!!? Mostly ricers, but it all comes down to proper maintenance. I can't believe how many people think it's OK to put tap water into their motors! City water in Oz is so full of salts that it attacks the alloy immediately. And folks just don't drain, flush and refill with coolant regularly enough. No excuse for that.
A couple of years back I wrote an article for the Discoveryauto site in WA (I'm their webmaster) and some of the stuff in it may be of interest to you guys. I know it's for Range Rover motors, but they are all-alloy and it's even more critical to look after their cooling systems. Anyway, the link is:

http://www.discoveryauto.com.au/page4.htm

A few years back "Choice" magazine did a test of coolants and found that they were not the same. Tests were also done by one of the TV channels' "Let's Expose The Ba**ard!" teams and they had similar results, in fact, one of the brands actually did more damage than tap water! It would be interesting to revisit those articles.

brisvegas_golf2
10-11-2005, 06:37 AM
you know why you just full with water, cause coolent actually retains heat, all you have to do is have a electrolasis aresster bottle in with water and that nautralises it, this is proven by using an australian product from interject.

GoLfMan
10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
and where can we get this stuff?

Golf Loon
10-11-2005, 10:19 AM
you know why you just full with water, cause coolent actually retains heat, all you have to do is have a electrolasis aresster bottle in with water and that nautralises it, this is proven by using an australian product from interject.

Can you just use deionised water like for batteries?

brisvegas_golf2
10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
i just use normal tap water with it, the aditive has all the lubrican'ts and good stuff in it, i can find out from my father when you can get the stuff down there, cause he is the rep for up here and sunshine coast

imported_brackie
10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Please ask him as I for one am most interested. I'd like to know what's in it, it's pH and what testing has been done. How does it rate against other coolants? If it is good I will use it.

GoLfMan
10-11-2005, 08:36 PM
i just use normal tap water with it, the aditive has all the lubrican'ts and good stuff in it, i can find out from my father when you can get the stuff down there, cause he is the rep for up here and sunshine coast

maybye at a discount price? :wink:

brisvegas_golf2
12-11-2005, 08:36 AM
i will try and get some o f his pamphlets and post them on here with all the info, i'll try yo talk him into some discounts for vortex users,he also has the worlds bestinjecter cleaner and tuf oil, which is the slipperyist substance known to man kind, which is in the guness book of records, so it has got to be good for your engine and gear box.

ok you have send me on a mission, i'll get all the info and post on here probly this weekend

brisvegas_golf2
12-11-2005, 08:37 AM
i mean VW and Audi Watercooled users, crazy gee knows of his products

Gold-mk1
19-11-2005, 12:24 AM
There ya go ! The reason why VW have always specifed their own anti freeze.....G10, G11 , G12 and G12+ i think now......

got G12+ in my mk1, crystal clear coolant ! :) well....almost, its a bit purple...... :lol:

Golf Loon
20-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Going back to my Hijacked post, I put the new head on with the GTI cam in it and the car goes. Initially it was slowere, then I twiddled with the timing a bit and it goes hard again now. :lol: :lol:

golfnutracing
28-03-2006, 12:50 AM
To hijack to post further
Red Line Water Wetter, i used demineralised water and a bottle of water wetter (its like 500ml). I was talkign to an american bloke and he reckons it takes the so called "hot spots" out of the vdub watercooled heads and dosent corrode. It has dropped my water temp by about 10deg from max, i am a huge fan of red line products. I think it is about $15 for a bottle

imported_brackie
28-03-2006, 05:44 AM
To hijack to post further
Red Line Water Wetter....takes the so called "hot spots" out of the vdub watercooled heads and dosent corrode.

Diesels have thicker metal around the water jacket in the head. The idea is to disperse heat more evenly. Works fine but reduces the total volume of water circulating in the head and creates "hot spots". This is one of the reasons that diesels cark it so quicky if you overheat them. The idea of anything that overcomes the problem must be good.