PDA

View Full Version : VR6 extractors

ScienceVR6
23-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Is anyone running extractors on their VR6?
if so, what type / size / style?
Any noticible gains?

I want to fit some, but if its not worth it, then, i wont. But i have the rest of the system done, so i might as well get extractors.

KI11Z
23-02-2007, 11:11 PM
off topic i know, but your exhaust must be loud?! Is all gud, but its just that i have a full 2.25" system and i have complaints . . .

Did you feel you lost any part of the VR's torque? just that i noticed that all the tuned exhaust kits are 60mm and we deal with inches; So I thaught I should go with the 2.25" being 3mm smaller as apose to 3mm bigger with a 2.5" . . . ? sorry its not helping with youir question but am interested . .

ScienceVR6
23-02-2007, 11:21 PM
it lost a very small amount of tourque under 2000rpm, but with its new reving ability, its very easy to keep it on song. And yes it is loud. but once the revs are up at around 3500-4000rpm, the motor comes to life and snaps to the redline. It loves a rev.

One US forums said i should fit a 3" system, but even with the 2.5" there is only just enough room to fit the pipe over the rear suspention. And i doubt a 3" would leave any torque, and you would need to rev to 7500rpm.

As a rule of thumb, big pipes like big rpm to make power.

MattyT
24-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Theres extractors on mine, but I have no idea on the brand. Came on the car when I bought it.
Theres a full zorst as well, although i'm unsure on the size. It's noisy though, and in a bad way too. ALOT of in cabin resonance and doesnt even sound that nice at idle.

It's being ditched for a remus when I can afford it :D

Tim
24-02-2007, 06:55 PM
most of the info that ive heard about extractors on a vr6. seems to say there isnt a lot of gain for quite a lot of money.

DVR68U
24-02-2007, 08:22 PM
yeah ive only herd the same. if you have a supercharger there are gains to be had. but on a NA motor there have been no improvements documented where the motor gained more than a few hp normally 1 or 2 i think. and the cost of the extractors isnt cheap. there is a different sound to the car with the ext's on . just depends if you can afford to put them on for the hell of it.
also the cheap ones dont hold up to well and often crack.
if you got the money give it a try , but dont throw out your old ones haha
cheers brenton

gpk_gti
25-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Theres extractors on mine, but I have no idea on the brand. Came on the car when I bought it.
Theres a full zorst as well, although i'm unsure on the size. It's noisy though, and in a bad way too. ALOT of in cabin resonance and doesnt even sound that nice at idle.

It's being ditched for a remus when I can afford it :D
its not the rear box,I had a jap DTM stainless cannon and the noise was not bad in cabin.I would be looking at the pipework and extractors.also with the remus the noise was not as loud but still deep.
I only had my suitcase removed and the rear muffler different and the in cabin noise was good.

golfvr6
26-02-2007, 10:49 AM
i reckon you should save your money...

This is one of many things i have read and stopped me from spending the $1200+ at the time for genie extractors

from the good ol' "gti-vr6.net" wiki:

To: gti-vr6 at ccsi dot com, corrado-l at corrado-club dot com
Subject: [gti-vr6] Schrick 276s and Genie Header Dynoed
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 10:11:14 EDT

Hi all,
We dynoed a Genie header on a 93 SLC equipped with Schrick 268s and manifold,
as well as Garrett chip and Techtonics exhaust. The header is a beautiful
piece, with very long primary runners. Fit is very nice, all stainless
construction. Unfortunately, it made no appreciable power. There was a gain
of 3-4hp between 59-6500rpms, but losses of 2-3hp at various other parts of
the curve. Initial runs looked promising, but after full heat soak the gains
disappeared. This is actually not very surprising, since the standard
"header" system is nicely designed, and certainly not a restriction like the
old single downpipe VWs."

OK it ain't bog standard, and its a 'rado but compares with and without the headers.

trying to find other reports that I remember reading years a go but can't seem to find them anymore!

ScienceVR6
26-02-2007, 12:58 PM
hmm, interesting.
i might leave them alone.

gpk_gti
26-02-2007, 05:42 PM
this is exactly what TUFFY told me when I was going to do extractors and big cat!!! the stock exhaust up to the cat is made to perfection.

moto
26-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Probably depends how and where you drive, and when you do the measurements. If you've been toddling around town and run measurements, are you going to be confronting a lazy ecu? If so then its hardly likely to recognise new breathing profile until you begin to drive differently.

I fitted genies to mine and I was delighted with the lift from mid range. Its a country car and the tacho lives above 3500. With the extractors, it accelerates noticeably harder and is more punchy - especially when climbing and passing. The extractors also changed the cars character. Its become more raw and snarly. There's more cabin noise too. Thats a deficit in my view.

Tim
26-02-2007, 06:41 PM
did u do any other upgrade at the same time tho? or were the genies the only difference?

moto
26-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Tim, the rest of the exhaust is a Remus system but the car is otherwise standard.
I'm not a mechanic, but I've been thinking about the software. I think it is adaptive. I noticed when we stayed in Melbourne once, and driving the car like a shopping trolley for a few weeks, it became lazy. A couple of weeks of fast driving later brought it back on edge. It sort of makes sense that extractors will not perform if the car is running "self-detuned". Depending on normal driving conditions it might be useful to look at a software upgrade to go with the extractors..

MattyT
27-02-2007, 02:12 AM
Moto - whats the Remus system sound like? How much did it damage your wallet?

ScienceVR6
27-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Tim, the rest of the exhaust is a Remus system but the car is otherwise standard.
I'm not a mechanic, but I've been thinking about the software. I think it is adaptive. I noticed when we stayed in Melbourne once, and driving the car like a shopping trolley for a few weeks, it became lazy. A couple of weeks of fast driving later brought it back on edge. It sort of makes sense that extractors will not perform if the car is running "self-detuned". Depending on normal driving conditions it might be useful to look at a software upgrade to go with the extractors..

V8 commodores (gen3) do the same thing. if they get driven lightly they turn into a slug, but one that gets driven HARD regulary tend to feel livelyer, and make more power. Ive never driven my golf slowly, so i dont know if the same hapens to mine.

gpk_gti
27-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Moto - whats the Remus system sound like? How much did it damage your wallet?
maybe thats why mine was so quick! rarely lived under 3500rpm!!!was a gift from NRMA...prefered the twin dtm exhaust though....
heres what it sounds like with remus,no suitcase and pod airfilter.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r311/yiorgo_gti/th_63c77d94.jpg (http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r311/yiorgo_gti/?action=view&current=63c77d94.flv)
:D :D

MattyT
27-02-2007, 06:07 PM
HAHAHA man you have a youthful look :D

Sounds freakin brilliant tho, exactly what im after.

Probably will have the suitcase tho (middle big muffler, right?) since I like to listen to music heaps and I cant hear my cds on the freeway right now :mad:

gpk_gti
27-02-2007, 06:20 PM
thanks mate! im 6 now!!hehe(its my son!) you gain a bit of hp by removing the suitcase(center muffler and its HUGE!heavy).with the remus the car was livable and definately not in cabin loud.I had my son as a baby at that stage so the car was very kids friendly.before I just had the twin dtm stainless steel box.THAT WAS LOUD!

moto
04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Video: Genie extractors plus Remus
http://revver.com/watch/198390

MattyT
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Boring vid, sweet sound :D