PDA

View Full Version : GTI Con Rods

jleahy_10
23-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I have just purchased a mk2 GTI eng, and am going to run some boost through it, i am going to put some forged pistons and decent rings in it, but does anybody know how strong the stock con rods are, how much boost approx will i be able to run with stock ones.

h100vw
23-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Turbo Technics ran the 8 valve GTIs upto to 175 BHP in the 80s on a stock bottom end with lowered compression. I don't know if they fitted different pistons as std but a mate of mine runs a MK1 TT, he has some Audi Quattro turbo pistons in that.

I reckon they were running less than 10 PSI.

Gavin

http://www.vwturbo.co.uk/index_files/HowManyCars.htm

twin eng, twin turbs
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I ran up to 18 psi boost through my my mk2 gti 8 valve, with 14 psi most of the time. I had no problems with the standard rods but i think that it was more luck than anything! That was with 138 kw at the wheels. I was recommended to run no more than 10 psi on standard rods though... If your after a set i can source them at probably the best price around for a set of scat rods with arp bolts.

jleahy_10
09-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I ran up to 18 psi boost through my my mk2 gti 8 valve, with 14 psi most of the time. I had no problems with the standard rods but i think that it was more luck than anything! That was with 138 kw at the wheels. I was recommended to run no more than 10 psi on standard rods though... If your after a set i can source them at probably the best price around for a set of scat rods with arp bolts.
I think i will be after a set, i am getting the engine in 2 weeks, and from then it will be on a stand in my garage, getting upgraded...pistons, rods...various head work...etc.

How much would these rods your talking about cost me?

And how much boost could i run with them?

Thanks.

James

twin eng, twin turbs
16-03-2007, 07:56 PM
I can source SCAT forged rods with ARP 2000 series bolts for $750, which is practically cost price and hundreds cheaper than any where else. They are rated to 800hp so you can run whatever boost you like! Only reason why i can can get this price is because i work at the third biggest engine reconditioning workshop in Aus and we buy direct. I can source Carillo, Agro and Pautor rods and forged pistons aswell JE, Arias, Ross, Wiseco, Venolia.

mk1scirocco16vT
18-03-2007, 09:28 PM
I've been running 10psi through a 1.8L 16V with 200bhp at the wheels. I'm running forged pistons arp rod bolts and peened and balanced bottom end with no probs. I have wandered though, how much can they take? I would like to run more boost in the future. Thanks for the thread, it's my first exposure to this site. If the offer of the rods apply to me also I would love to take up the offer in a month or so.

Dan.

Golf Loon
18-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Good thread this guys. How about updating you location scirocco16vT and maybe a pic of your car? Welcome to the forum too.

twin eng, twin turbs
18-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Ill extend the offer of cost price forged pistons and rods to all the serious dubbers on the forum, just PM me. No body wants engine failures when your smoking ss bombadores and xr8 falcoons!

roccodingo
19-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I've been running 10psi through a 1.8L 16V with 200bhp at the wheels. I'm running forged pistons arp rod bolts and peened and balanced bottom end with no probs. I have wandered though, how much can they take? I would like to run more boost in the future. Thanks for the thread, it's my first exposure to this site. If the offer of the rods apply to me also I would love to take up the offer in a month or so.

Dan.

Private message sent Daniel..;)

sorry for the hijack, back to normal programming..:rolleyes:

aprr32
20-03-2007, 07:00 PM
16v and 20v and G60 rods are pretty much the same and can take about 340bhp.Even forged pistons aren't really needed until the power is up around 300bhp.My AEB 20v has stock rods, standard rod bolts, crank and cast pistons and has been running 20 psi for over 12 months(and a hard 12 months)with no hassles. Even though I have a spare engine I don't think it will be used for a long time!

mk1scirocco16vT
20-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Good to know the rods can handle a little more power. Thanks. Anyone know how much 200 at the wheels equates toat the crank. Trying to work it back.

P.S. have posted some photos as requested on pic gallery. Thanks for the interest.

Dan.

Water Boy
21-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Vw's smoking ss bombadores and xr8 falcoons!

Thats what valvers are made for and eating Vtec Honda's for a snack...

Ha ha ha ha ha...

gldgti
25-03-2007, 08:39 PM
Good to know the rods can handle a little more power. Thanks. Anyone know how much 200 at the wheels equates toat the crank. Trying to work it back.

P.S. have posted some photos as requested on pic gallery. Thanks for the interest.

Dan.

yukky question, too much speculated about. atleast 250 atc