PDA

View Full Version : polo gti turbo timer installation

ken507
23-02-2007, 03:17 PM
hi everyone. i'm new to the forums. I recently purchased a Polo GTI late last year.
While i was in Japan on holidays I purchased a 'Pivot' turbo timer that was on sale.

I'm having problems installing it. The main problem being not able to take off the bottom cover behind the steering wheel to get to the key barrel housing.
I've taken off the screws but it won't slide off because the plastic screw panel thing is blocking the way.
Doesn't seem i can take off that bottom cover without taking off the steering wheel.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Vieussuex
23-02-2007, 05:10 PM
i took mine off but broke one side of the clips but it still is ok

carazy
23-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Why are you bothering with a turbo timer? Surely these things have been a waste of time for any turbo car built after 1992 that's not a rotary.

Oh and.. hello all, first post.

h100vw
23-02-2007, 09:20 PM
There is no need to fit one on a VW. A well serviced car wont suffer any issues with the turbo.

syncro
23-02-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't really know if it will actually work on your Polo as it has an immobilisor and requires the key to be in the ignition.:?

ken507
23-02-2007, 11:23 PM
yo thanks for teh heads up about the immobilisor...have to wait and see i guess.
But a lot of new cars have teh same deal with security and seem to get around it.
As for not needing the timer...even the manual says somewhere to let the car cool down for a couple minutes after hard driving...so turbo timer wont hurt....

ryan_GTI
24-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Just becareful with warranty... i assume they'll blame the turbo timer if any electrical faults come up

Wand Weaver
24-02-2007, 03:45 PM
As for not needing the timer...even the manual says somewhere to let the car cool down for a couple minutes after hard driving...so turbo timer wont hurt....

Just take it easy for the last few (5) minutes before you turn it off, and you'll be fine. VWs (and some other Euros) keep the oil pump and/or fans going after you switch off the ignition, further reducing the need for a Turbo Timer.

I also hate to say this (given it's the second time in a few days with respect to an aftermarket component), but Turbo Timers are actually illegal.

FL00DY
26-02-2007, 08:45 AM
You don't need, seriously. Whilst I guess you're right, it can't hurt, it's a massive waste of time. Mind if I asked how much you paid for it? Please don't take this as harsh comments, it's just our advice.

ken507
28-02-2007, 02:26 PM
i purchased this:
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2006-12DSale4438960.htm

for $90 aud from Japan.

so does anyone have any advice on taking off the bottom cover behind the steering wheel apart from breaking one of the notches?

thanks

mdonohoe
28-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Hi Guys,

Sell the timer - it's a waste of time.

I've had multiple turbo cars for the last 3 years or so and done over 100,000kms in all of them.

Turbo timers in modern cars are not necessary. The manufactuers work long and hard to ensure that the engine can be shut off at any point and the turbo will still live a long, and possibly hard-driving life without failure.

The single biggest failure point usually is flogging a car from cold(and I'm talking flogging the hell outta it). However, with modern oils, this is becoming less of an issue.

However, the immobiliser only stops you from STARTING the car, not to keep it running. Essentially if you can start it, it will keep running. I've had this happen recently when my G/F had a Remote Start alarm installed in her liberty. The computer only requests clearance from the key for the first few seconds when it starts. After that, you can take it away.

Thanks
Matt

aprr32
28-02-2007, 09:01 PM
A turbo is a turbo and they all keep spinning after the engine is turned off and they all recieve no oil when that happens.A timer can be fitted to cars with an immobiliser, it just needs a good electrician(I have one) . I have a timer on my turbo cars because K04's cost a lot of money and need oil to live!

Spec83
01-03-2007, 12:47 PM
A turbo is a turbo and they all keep spinning after the engine is turned off and they all recieve no oil when that happens.

What do you think happens when the turbo timer turns the car off...?? engine stops and the turbo keeps spinning - your statement makes no sense!!

A turbo timer is there to let oil circulate through the turbo bearings after a hard drive... if you have been flogging it the turbo is very hot. Turn the car straight off and the hot bearings heat up the surrounding oil and it and CAN causing warping / stress and resulting shaft play...

Letting the engine idle for 1-2mins helps cooler oil flow to the turbo and cool it down before turn off avoiding the above mentioned isses. As someone already said ball bearings and improved constuction materials and methods lessen the chance of bearing failure after a hot turn off.

You can always use the inbuilt turbo timer - you right foot... dont hit boost for 1-2mins before you stop the car.... no troubles bubbles!!!

aprr32
02-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Turning the engine off with the turbo spinning at 80,000 rpm is gotta be worse than turning it off at 5000 rpm and thats why the timer lets you walk away so the turbo slows down with oil and water still circulating, isn't that kinder?

Spec83
02-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Not really - turbo speed is a function of engine revs - turbo speed at idle after 15 sec will be the same as at idle speed after 2 mins...

Turbo timer is there to let the engine run after turn off to circulate cool oil thru the turbo bearings. On the old plain bearing turbos if not properly cooled the bearings distort and introduce stress concentration points when the microstructure of the metal has changed due to repeated heating. On new tech turbos this isnt much of a problem due to advances in materials and bearing design.... i awlays let mine idle for 30sec - 1min after i get to my destination just to be safe :)

BTW - straight after turn off there would be enough oil in the turbo bearings to account for a rundown to 0rpm due to forces present.

aprr32
03-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Tell that to the Passat owners that kill a large number of turbos from oil coking and bearing siezure from not idling down.

Spec83
03-03-2007, 05:50 PM
When you look at it the more you stress an engine component the more likley it is to fail - these turbos use boundry lubrication between rotating surfaces which is a very fine film of oil.... if you turn your engine off 6000rpm then yer maybe some damage can occur.... but who does that???

IMO i have owned a turbo excel, 180, skyline and now the pog and have never had a timer installed cause they are a waste of >$200 when a bit of grey matter and your right foot can be employed. Buy yer if you flog your car adn turn it straight off then it causes stress but they are designed to be perfectly capable of running down from engine idle speed to a stop without damage