PDA

View Full Version : DIESEL v PETROL

DOUBLECAB
07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Hi Guys................if U had the choice between a 1998 T4 Double Cab in 2.5ltr petrol or 2.4ltr (5cyl) diesel...........both manual (5gears)...what would be the best choice and why ???

Regards................DOUBLECAB :roll:

Ps. Or neither :oops:

GoLfMan
07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
diesel... more torque less fuel :)

DOUBLECAB
08-11-2005, 10:57 PM
diesel... more torque less fuel :)

Thanks for the suggestion ..however the specs in the REDBOOK read as follows...
Diesel...torque: 164Nm @ 2200rpm

Petrol...torque: 200Nm @ 2200rpm

And the fuel consumption figures quoted are exactly the same for both engines!

Still confused................ :?

GoLfMan
09-11-2005, 01:59 PM
in that case the only way to tell is to drive both?! that way you can decide which one is the better one for you :)

Golf Loon
09-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Would the torque figures change at different rpm? If so, the diesel will have more lower down, but would rev out quick, whilst the petrol would still have some go left at higher revs. Is it for highway or town use? If I had a diesel, it would have to be a turbo.

imported_brackie
10-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Yeah, be careful of statistics. All diesels have superior torque low down. This is why you drive them completely differently to a petrol vehicle. Also, you'll find that the gearing is different. I don't believe for one minute that the fuel consumption is the same. I think that more research is necessary (and again, the best way to decide is to drive both!)

DOUBLECAB
11-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, be careful of statistics. All diesels have superior torque low down. This is why you drive them completely differently to a petrol vehicle. Also, you'll find that the gearing is different. I don't believe for one minute that the fuel consumption is the same. I think that more research is necessary (and again, the best way to decide is to drive both!)

Hi Brackie...........yeah well thats the stats in the REDBOOK....their site is on the net.....I was told their data is correct.

BTW: Kindly note I am comparing the 5 cyl petrol with the 5 cyl diesel (NON TURBO) engine.

syncro
11-11-2005, 11:04 AM
Redbooks data is definately not always correct.

imported_brackie
11-11-2005, 03:55 PM
BTW: Kindly note I am comparing the 5 cyl petrol with the 5 cyl diesel (NON TURBO) engine.

Aha. Well the turbo makes an enormous difference. However, the fuel consumption of the diesel should be in the order of 2/3 that of the petrol (in the hands of someone who knows how to drive it!).

GTI-VW
20-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Go a Turbo Diesel every time.

We drove our 2001 T4 Turbo-diesel California Coach (Factory VW Camper) around Scandinavia then down through the Baltic states to Poland, Slovakia and back to Netherlands. Averaged a shade under 40mpg with a full load of gear. I doubt a petrol version would do anything like that. Doing around 140-150 km/h on a London to Amsterdam run we dropped down to low 20's mpg. Top speed is a shade under 160km/h (indicated).

Around town the economy is even more pronounced with the diesel able to lug along at low revs in higher gears.

gldgti
26-09-2006, 09:48 PM
redbook = poo

jets
01-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Ps. Or neither :oops:[/QUOTE]

My advice is neither.
The 2.5 petrol is too thirsty & the 2.4 diesel too slow.
2 years later in 2000 the 2.5 TDI was available--absolutely top vehicle.
Save a bit longer & buy for the long term.

Rob

Golf Loon
01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
redbook = poo

The redbook is so wrong in so many ways. I reckon it is run by the NRMA admin team ;)

Get a TDI. I have a 2L petrol T4 and I love it, its great, but the petrol 5 cyl would be too thirsty and the 2.4D is gutless. My next van will be a T5 TDI.