PDA

View Full Version : What to look for

wombatoutofhell
10-12-2009, 02:36 PM
As mentioned on another thread I was looking at getting an Ibiza or Cordoba for my 18 year old daughter as her first car. The reason for the choice is she likes to be a little different and doesn't want a car that every p plater seems to have. Her budget is $5000 including onroad costs. There are other cars that fit the bill, but the Seats seem to be almost perfect.

A couple of days ago she announced that she's 19 weeks pregnant. This would kill the idea of a 3 door so the Ibiza is out. The Cordoba is still a possibility though. However, I'm a little confused as to what model has what-there seems to be a few engines, some have ABS, some have airbags and obviously I want to look at something very safe and relatively cheap to run. I found a 1995 GLX (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Used-Cars/Small-Medium-Family-Prestige-Cars/AdNumber=TP002871194?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=)advertised with a 1.4 engine-so far as I can see that wasn't an option. Price was $2995 and it has 125,000km on it. Sounds ok but 1.4 sounds a little underpowered. I'll have a look anyway.

Also what are the things I should look out for? Any rust prone areas, mechanical issues etc I should be aware of? Does anyone know if they have the mounting points for a baby seat (I think any car that age had to but not 100% sure) Will a pram fit into the boot OK or should I forget the Seat and find something else?

Thanks for reading.

Golf Loon
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Late model cordoba, 1996, 1997 or 1998 will have 2 airbags and a 1.8 engine

Or a Golf of a similar year model is getting cheap now.

I have a nice 1996 Golf with a years rego, with all major service work done for $4500.

I`d avoid an auto as they have issues.

All of these cars have baby seat points.

leo46
16-12-2009, 02:41 PM
There is a Rare 4door 1.8 ibiza on ebay i think just imported its got bodykit and the like it looks good!

Golf Loon
19-12-2009, 08:40 PM
There is a Rare 4door 1.8 ibiza on ebay i think just imported its got bodykit and the like it looks good!

Where mate??
Got a link for us??

It will either be some non knowledgeable seller, or a cordy engine dumped into an ibiza. My money is on the former.

leo46
20-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah mate its gone now it confused me alot! i wasnt sure about because of bodykit but no engine bay shots and mods. owell always miss the best ones!

Golf Loon
20-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Was it blue and in Brissie??

leo46
21-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Was blue cant remember where it was located.What do you know about it? and where can i get a bodykit for my GTi?

Golf Loon
21-12-2009, 08:24 AM
I built a blue 2 door up with a 1.8 cordy engine and auto. It was a one off colour pale blue. It went up to Brissy.

Why would you want to ruin a Beeza with a bodykit??

Put later big bumpers if its an early one and maybe cupra sideskirts if you feel the need.

wombatoutofhell
21-12-2009, 10:52 PM
I did find it-it was red and in Canberra with a 1.4 engine. Unfortunately I don't want the hassle of getting a car from interstate and it needed some work done anyway-I can't remember what.
Thanks for the advice and car offers-I actually found a caryard not far from home with 3 cordobas in it. I'll drag the daughter for a look although she seems to want something bigger now-in fact she's now keen in a Vectra! Pleasing a female is so hard when they keep changing their minds.

leo46
22-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Ok well this was definately a four door that had been imported it hadnt been registered yet but it doesnt matter now and thanks for the advice sorry to hijack your thread wombatoutofhell! And a Scrap yard with three cordies would be fun i wouldnt mind one! but yeah im in brissy. Goodluck mate!

wombatoutofhell
22-12-2009, 10:27 PM
not a scrapyard-a dealer and 3 drivable cordies. 2 of them have dual airbags, 2 (one old one later) are silver, 1 is maroon. None are pristine but no doubt would be sold with a victorian RWC.