PDA

View Full Version : Octavia RS MY10 - MFD Issue

BlackOctaviaRS
09-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi guys, got a two month old RS Wagon with the Sat Nav.

At the moment, when I select "Audio" or "Navigation" on the MFD in the dash, the screen changes to "Skoda Navigation", and won't show the audio or navigation information. Has anybody else had this happen, or know how to get it to operate normally again?

G-rig
09-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Is this only when you start up (ie cold start in the morning?). If so it usually takes 10sec or so to initialize (simiar to the my VW MFD).

BlackOctaviaRS
09-12-2009, 10:06 PM
No, it's happening even after the car's been running for a while, cold or hot.

NicZA
11-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi guys, got a two month old RS Wagon with the Sat Nav.

At the moment, when I select "Audio" or "Navigation" on the MFD in the dash, the screen changes to "Skoda Navigation", and won't show the audio or navigation information. Has anybody else had this happen, or know how to get it to operate normally again?

Hold down the down rocker on the right stalk (the one with the wiper controls), the display should change and give you a choice of what you want to display

BlackOctaviaRS
13-12-2009, 08:26 PM
There's no down rocker on the wiper stalk - the controls are on the steering wheel. I can select audio or navigation, and it displays "skoda navigation" after selecting either option

G-rig
13-12-2009, 08:36 PM
First I'd try rebooting the RNS 510.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Otherwise just go back to the dealer (assume it's under warranty).

BlackOctaviaRS
22-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Well, I've been back to the dealer now, and even they can't fix it - they've taken a few pictures and diagnostic info, and sent it to Sydney head office...:confused:

BlackOctaviaRS
08-01-2010, 03:22 PM
So, the car's now been back to be looked at again - the verdict? New Sat Nav, up to 3 weeks wait if it has to come from Germany...:eek:

BlackOctaviaRS
10-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Almost 9 weeks later now, and still no new Sat Nav unit. According to the dealer, Skoda can't / won't give them an answer about when a new Sat Nav unit will be available. :brutal:

This is getting ridiculous - are Skoda head office incompetent or something?:bowdown:

dazag
10-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Go Into the dealer and get him to call Skoda Oz Spares on the phone whilst your standing there, also tell the dealer if they give him the run around to put you on the phone.
9 weeks is unacceptable in my books!!
Force their hand a little, see if it's the dealer BS you or if it is Skoda Oz dragging their a$$.
Ask for a order No. for the replacement head unit, etc etc, maybe give the ACCC/Consumer affairs a call and see where you stand first, might give you some weight when you talk to both the dealer and Skoda OZ.

Just ****s me when I read things like this, people not getting good customer service.

K1W1
10-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Just ****s me when I read things like this, people not getting good customer service.

I feel much the same. The whole story sounds a little fishy to me. I wonder if it's a case of being in the too hard basket at either the dealer or Skoda? Either way it's totally unacceptable and either the dealer or Skoda should have pulled a head unit out of another vehicle way before now.

BlackOctaviaRS
11-03-2010, 06:56 AM
Just emailed Skoda Australia, interesting to see how long they take to respond, and what sort of answer they provide. Failing that, I guess Consumer Affairs would be the next step :dark:

Bayford Skoda
11-03-2010, 07:52 AM
It could be something simple as a the Sat Nav unit is properly coded to the instrument cluster.

Has it always been like this since brand new or has it just developed?

Maybe even try another dealers service department as at the end of the day your service can only be as good as the technicians competency.

BlackOctaviaRS
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Just been informed today that the dealer ordered a new sat nav, rather than a warranty replacement sat nav - not sure that there's an actual difference between them, only the way they probably get reported and charged back to Skoda. It took Skoda Oz until today to inform them that they'd ordered the wrong part, almost 12 weeks after the initial diagnosis. :mad:

BlackOctaviaRS
17-05-2010, 12:08 PM
So, the car is back in again today...took it back a month ago to get a new Columbus unit fitted, and that didn't fix it.

I've been told by the dealer they need it for 2 days so they can talk to head office on the phone while they try and diagnose the issue. At least they bothered to give me a hire car this time.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do next if they don't fix the car this time? What are the Australian rules and regs when it comes to dealers not being able to fix an issue under warranty? A new car?

HELP!!!:brutal:

BlackOctaviaRS
17-05-2010, 02:00 PM
And, finally, the saga is over. 4 months of back and forth, and a new sat nav unit, it turned out to be a "calibration issue with the new unit" :dunno:

woofy
17-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Richmond Skoda are relatively new, but they are part of Audi Melbourne, and they should have seen almost everything with Audis by now, seems they relied on Skoda HQ or Skoda CZ a bit too much.

K1W1
17-05-2010, 03:04 PM
"calibration issue" :dunno:

Euphemism for "because it's only a radio we had the apprentice doing the job and he connected a green wire where a red one should go." :P

I'm glad that it's resolved and hope that it truly is this time.

raph
17-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I got my octavia from richmond skoda, and I was asking them about getting a columbus retrofitted as i was thinking about it. They told me that they had had troubles retrofitting them.

This has made me rethink ordering a columbus from the EU either from tommy cupra, or that well known auction site.

Are the Richmond Skoda guys just poor at stereo installs?

woofy
17-05-2010, 04:27 PM
They seem to have a lot of issues with ordering Skoda parts not in stock, and then either not following them up, or forgetting to tell you they are in. Stock in OZ seems to be fine, they fixed a headlight issue very quickly for me as well as a crackedspeaker cover, but paint pens keep getting lost in the orders and a boot mat, I had to chase a few times to see whether they had got it in or not.