PDA

View Full Version : Any warrantee issues???

gtimk5
22-02-2007, 06:37 AM
I was wondering what warrantee issues anyone might have had with their
Mk5s so far?
When I initillially picked up my GTI I had a pool of gear oil under it from the gearbox drain p;lug. It was loose and the dealer didnt have a socket to fit it, they had to borrow one from a Victorian dealer...:?
I currently have a ****y cruise control switch which works intermittently. Also a couple of nights ago I drove off down the road and my LED display wasn't working. I only had one line going across it.
So, its off to the dealers as soon as I can get the time....
Cruise control switch failures are a known problem.

VWGTi
22-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Touch wood, haven't experienced anything yet...i was told by the dealer not to set the cruise control just yet until the engine is run -in. Quite surprised with the number of issues you have!

Cheers,

Lima
22-02-2007, 09:04 AM
Andrew, dare I say it, but the ****y cruise control switch wouldn't be affected by the APR functionality would it? :confused:

gtimk5
22-02-2007, 09:33 AM
No, I set the APR function and have never had to put it back to standard, therefore I only use the cruise switch only for the function that it was designed for.
I am extremely happy with my GTI and it has 23000 kms on it now. Minor issues really and the cruise switch problem is a known one. Even the local dealer keeps them in stock and replaced them on a fair few Mk5s.
Cheers, Andrew :)

drb999
22-02-2007, 10:07 AM
I got a sunroof leak issue, but to be honest I'm too scared to go to the dealer again as I've had to take it back for minor things a few times and they created bigger issues than the first time. They don't want to see me back and I definitely don't want to see them, so I'm waiting until the next time it rains badly on the car to see how the water is getting in.

Anyone else w/sunroof leaks?

gpk_gti
22-02-2007, 05:19 PM
I picked up the car from the dealership, who'd done the 1K km service. As I drove away, I heard for the first time clunks from the front end.

After wasting a few hours of my time, the dealer diagnosed the need to replace bushes in the electro-mechanical steering.

In my cynical moments, I suspect the dealership of being on the take (from VW Australia), ie they caused the problem so they could claim $$ for a warranty repair. Times are tough!

I've no sunroof, but I note that the US forums are full of stories about leaks.

Cheers
or maybe they just thrashed your car on the test drive?? not joking,seen it happen.or better still ,forgot to tighten something and then blamed bushes...after seeing what really goes on inside a dealer workshop,I wouldnt send my enemies car there.:o

gtimk5
27-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I have worked in a Nissan dealership and you wouldnt want to know half the stuff that went on in that place. I could write a book on it! Guys coming into the workshop and setting up full throttle powerslides up the workshop between all the work bays and getting it wrong in new (then) Skylines, and wiping out 4 vehicles that were in there for servicing! The boys used to do minor roadtests before the major roadtest, straight through T junctions and having huuuuge accidents, all in someone elses pride and joy. :?
Crazy stuff, all in Brisbane. I am sure that most dealerships aren't that bad, but history shows...........
Cheers, Andrew :)

mikinoz
27-02-2007, 07:44 PM
So you telling me Andrew you don't test all of the re-flashed cars to ensure that they work to their full potential? :p

gtimk5
28-02-2007, 06:32 AM
Hey Mikinoz! Looooong time no hear mate.:confused:
I can honestly say that no, I dont test very many of the reflashed cars here. It usually takes such a short amount of the day to do so owners hang around. Then, when its all done I tell them to wizz it around the road to see what it feels like.
The only customers car I have ever been booked in has been my older brother inlaws totally original LJ torana! One owner job, 120,000 kms. 72 km/h in a 60 zone. I have to rev it out each 6 monthly service to clear out the carbon, true! Hardly see out the back for brown smoke!:D

itgwv
28-02-2007, 10:08 AM
I've had front quarter panel resprayed because wasn't painted properly at the factory. Then after first service they stuffed up my oil filter which leaked and instead of replacing they said they'd fixed it only for me to have to go back a 3rd time and have it replaced. Also all my wheels were out of balance from the factory so car always had a shudder until i had my suspension done and wheels balanced.

I've also had my display vanish on me in a big flash of red with a red line through it, kind of crap when only way to tell what gear your in. Came back after car sat for 30 minutes. Did it last year before xmas and hasn't happened since.

And after all that still love the car.:)

srbsta
28-02-2007, 10:18 AM
i have booked a service for next week with Bill Buckle Brookvale......anyone have any experience with them......i would just like to know if i can take the keys from them while they are working on the car or even stay and watch them :D do the job.....its my god damn car lol

gtimk5
28-02-2007, 01:52 PM
My car did the same LED thing last week itg. Its gotta be checked out very soon.

mikinoz
28-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey Mikinoz! Looooong time no hear mate.:confused:

Nothing personal mate, 10 weeks working in Sydney and 5 weeks until the new bub - time is short sadly. Will make time to get along to some Tas events after April!

I think that the stalks failing could be a safety issue? :confused:

itgwv
28-02-2007, 10:06 PM
My car did the same LED thing last week itg. Its gotta be checked out very soon.

Was a hot day when mine went nuts after sitting outside for 8 hrs. Was like it had a spaz attack and whole screen lit up red before going dark and red line through it. Tried turning car off and back on but did nothing until it sat for little while and worked ok since. Have my 30k service in next few months so thought i'd mention so its noted down in case they have had previous issues.

gtimk5
02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Well. My GTI has gone to the dealers today for a severe missfire issue and dodgy cruise control. :(
I pulled a couple of codes out of it to inform them of what was going on. Its been there for 1/2 the day and I am missing it sooo much!
Our local dealer has always done the right thing by me and today they have lent me a new V6 4motion Passat with leather and DSG!:D
So, by not knocking them, they do look after you. Mind you, I have had a good many customers out in my GTI who have gone and bought Mk5s.
The dealer in question? Jacksons VW in Tassie. Thanks fellas :)

gtimk5
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Hmm, gave the dealers the fault codes this morning when I dropped the GTI off. They couldnt get any fault codes from the ECU so they dont know what to look for with the miss..... hmmm Could look bad at Baskerville this weekend. :(
replaced the cruise switch though.

and133
02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
i have a few issues but the dealer has generally been getting to them.

i had a rear wheel bearing replaced

a heat sheild apparentlly missing a bolt causing a vibration,

a rear door handle not work, like i cant open the door

and my odometer screen lcd thingo often only displays a blank line

a few other things... but the rear door not working has been the worst.

but all fixable and worth it :-p

vinderliker
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Although not VW related,but dodgy dealer related. I have heard a story from someone in the know that a local Canberra dealer in locally made cars, once put a screw driver through the radiator and told the customer they had to pay for a new radiator as road damage was not covered by the warranty.
I am suprised in regard to the warranty issues that new VW owners are having.

pinzvidz
02-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Hmmm... all those warranty problems seem to be happening on Sith Efriken builds, correct me if I am wrong...

wheelzy72
02-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Whats with the lcd screen goning blank, has anybody had feedback from dealers, mine went blank and stuck in one gear cycled key off and on problem went away took it to dealer and unable to fault and no codes in system. Plus my cruise control doesn't alays work have to stop and cycle ignion and works ok?

flu!d
02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Get the cruise stalk replaced....

vinderliker
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Seemsto be pointing in that direction!!!!!

Hmmm... all those warranty problems seem to be happening on Sith Efriken builds, correct me if I am wrong...

gtimk5
03-04-2007, 07:52 AM
My cruise switch was replaced yesterday and as far as the fault codes I pulled out of the thing, well, the dealer couldnt get any codes at all. :?
So, as far as the missfire is concerned, it may be the fuel pump.
Nice and cool here this morning, 5 degrees so t was going very nicely.
I didnt mention the blank LCD. It onlyhappened once and I did drag a code out of it last week. Over voltage at the steering column.
I cant remember the engine code. I gave the list to the dealer and they lost it!

gtimk5
03-04-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey Pin, most cars have warranty issues of some sort oir another. I spose that there arent enough German mk5s here to see numerous issues. Really the issues we are having are relatively minor compared to some issues have with some models. Gearbox failures were common on earliuer Pulsars and Camrys. Brake failures on some cars! And I wont mention the Jags and Rover issues that I saw when I worked on em!!! :o
The Mk5s are very well put together compared to so many.
The early Mk1 aussie Golfs used to have a lot of problems back in 1976.
Cheers, Andrew:)

pinzvidz
03-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Hey Pin, most cars have warranty issues of some sort oir another. I spose that there arent enough German mk5s here to see numerous issues. Really the issues we are having are relatively minor compared to some issues have with some models. Gearbox failures were common on earliuer Pulsars and Camrys. Brake failures on some cars! And I wont mention the Jags and Rover issues that I saw when I worked on em!!! :o
The Mk5s are very well put together compared to so many.
The early Mk1 aussie Golfs used to have a lot of problems back in 1976.
Cheers, Andrew:)

Oh yeah, I don't doubt MK5's are well put together, no matter where they're built. I've been in the motor trade for nearly 20 years now, and the most common thing I see with warranty problems, regardless of manufacturer (except Kia, they're just ****eboxes full stop) is American and South African built vehicles tend to have more problems. Take the current Corolla for example. The Japanese builds are bulletproof - nothing ever goes wrong with them. A couple of years ago, Toyota were bringing in Corolla hatches from South Africa - they're dreadful! Poor build quality, numerous warranty problems, average to drive, etc. etc.

and133
05-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Even though my golf has had alot of problems i still love it to bits.. its beats driving most other cars. fantasmal suspension... great ride.. quiet to drive... great looks and fantastic feel.

TDI DSG
08-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I have a few minor issues with my Comfortline and would be interested to see if anyone else has noticed theese same things.
The interior door handles should rest flush with the door trims but are now recessing further and further into the door trim holes. This is most noticeable on the drivers side at probably 6mm in from flush and about half that amount on the passengers side. The rear is as new as the rear seats have only been sat in a few times and obviously the drivers side is used the most. The handle mechanism feels solid enough but something inside is obviously wearing/bending. This is a concern with a new car - its only 9 months/12,000k's old.
Other thing I noticed recently is on the rear under the gaurds there is what looks like sound deadening material stuck up to the inside of the wheel arches - this is already falling away from the inner arches.
I really love the car - its by far the best car I have ever had overall as combination of features/economy/performance and general enjoyment to drive. I had planned for this to be a car I have for quite some time so these type of issues are a little concerning.
Be interesed if anyone else has noticed these things and if they may have had anything done about it. I will be going in the dealers this week to see what they have to say.

and133
09-04-2007, 01:45 PM
YAY my rear door can again open hastle free! they apparently just changed a part over... that was also hastle free..

fergVdub
12-04-2007, 01:16 AM
The day before heading up to Byron Bay for the Blues fest my CD player died with the LCD waring "CD Error ... service"

Great timing... the thing was working fine until the message since then unable to load any CD?

Thank heavans for the iPod connection as dodgey as it is!

I still love the car though..... filled up at Ballina drove to Sydney 800k with a quarter of a tank+ with 350k to go.... gotta like that!

cheers

ferg

itgwv
24-04-2007, 10:31 AM
My cruise switch was replaced yesterday and as far as the fault codes I pulled out of the thing, well, the dealer couldnt get any codes at all. :?
So, as far as the missfire is concerned, it may be the fuel pump.
Nice and cool here this morning, 5 degrees so t was going very nicely.
I didnt mention the blank LCD. It onlyhappened once and I did drag a code out of it last week. Over voltage at the steering column.
I cant remember the engine code. I gave the list to the dealer and they lost it!

Just had my 30k service and like you only had the lcd drop out once but mentioned anyways. He knew what i was talking about which was a good sign as apparently its a software glitch and needs a software update. So might be worth mentioning if you have this problem. At service or when it happens again.:)

acdcfan
25-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I have this annoying rattle in rear right hand door that drives me nuts. AS soon as I put my hand on it it stop. i have only done 4500km will wait for first service to get it fix. Also this square box on the dash( call if whatever you like) rattles too.

itgwv
26-04-2007, 09:15 AM
the airvent ontop of the dash? If so mine did to and i asked them to stop it. Has been quiet since.

acdcfan
27-04-2007, 07:33 PM
the airvent ontop of the dash?

not sure... as soon as i put my finger in it, it stops ( square thing)

itgwv
28-04-2007, 11:38 PM
not sure... as soon as i put my finger in it, it stops ( square thing)

Depending on which model, GTi's or the sportline with climate have an air outlet there. Other models have a square blank, probably just needs some padding to stop it which is what they did for mine as it hasn't done it since i mentioned. Best thing is to get dealer to do so if they botch it up you can force them to fix it free under warranty. Nothing worse than breaking something doing it yourself and having no recourse.;)

acdcfan
29-04-2007, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=itgwv;49195]Depending on which model, GTi's or the sportline with climate have an air outlet there.QUOTE]

I'll do it with first service ....