PDA

View Full Version : Skoda info on AVC9000-1

JAZ_RS
08-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Not sure if anyone can help me, but I'll put it out there. Has anyone changed over the Bolero head unit to the AVC 9000-1. If they have could you shed some light.

Since the units plugged into the can-bus or VAG (not sure which one) I'm wanting to know if you still can see all the heater controls via the touch screen as you do on the bolero when you adjust the heating/cooling or is this lost? Hope I make sense...

K1W1
08-12-2009, 10:40 PM
There was a thread about this a couple of pages back. I can't see it again with a quick look but somebody else might remember the thread title.

Graybags
10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Im interested in knowing this as well. Can anyone here who has a AVC 9000-1 in their car confirm if the climate control setting still show on the OSD?

JAZ_RS
10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
There was a thread about this a couple of pages back. I can't see it again with a quick look but somebody else might remember the thread title.

K1W1 I've tried to retrace back through the threads with no luck. Was it on the skoda thread or one of the others?

Graybags, have you got your car yet?

woofy
10-12-2009, 09:35 PM
If the Bolero can be retrofitted to a pre FL RS, I might be interested on someones if they don't need it anymore....even moreso if the MDI can be done as well.

K1W1
10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
Try using the forum search tool for the string "AVC9000-1"

JAZ_RS
22-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Well it looks like anyone who has a new facelift skoda or the golf Mk6 won't be able to install the AVC9000-1. I've just come back from Volkspower and also sent the car back to the dealer minus the AVC installed:(

If anyone can shed some light on whats changed in regards to the canbus for any mk6 models that would be great. Dean from Volks tried to install one in a MK6 gti last week and faced the same problem as he did today with my car. Apparently its all hooking up but without iginition even turned on the unit starts blinking?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Tezzwokka
23-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Well it looks like anyone who has a new facelift skoda or the golf Mk6 won't be able to install the AVC9000-1. I've just come back from Volkspower and also sent the car back to the dealer minus the AVC installed:(

If anyone can shed some light on whats changed in regards to the canbus for any mk6 models that would be great. Dean from Volks tried to install one in a MK6 gti last week and faced the same problem as he did today with my car. Apparently its all hooking up but without iginition even turned on the unit starts blinking?

That's not good news for me, I just bought one but haven't got time until after xmas to get it installed. I've got an '09 facelift model and was going to replace the Bolero unit.

team_v
23-12-2009, 10:48 AM

Might want to look at this unit as it is MK6 compatible.

http://www.zenec.com/index.php?L=1&id=335

JAZ_RS
23-12-2009, 11:01 AM
That's not good news for me, I just bought one but haven't got time until after xmas to get it installed. I've got an '09 facelift model and was going to replace the Bolero unit.

Exactly the same boat as me, who were you looking at for the install?
Looking into it a little further it looks like its got something to do with the BAP protocal which the new version has but don't hold me to that.

JAZ_RS
23-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Looks great but I don't see compatibility with skoda even though it does mention a few VAG models. The facia panel could also cause a problem that was a reason I went the AVC as its a straight fit asto the columbus.

team_v
23-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Just realised they have a different unit for Skoda.

http://www.zenec.com/index.php?id=122&L=1

ZE-MC5600--and--ZE-NA2000N
ZE-MC5600

backdoc
23-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Just realised they have a different unit for Skoda.

http://www.zenec.com/index.php?id=122&L=1

ZE-MC5600--and--ZE-NA2000N
ZE-MC5600

they don't look like they will fit the new/FL octy

team_v
23-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Hmm, might have to wait a while for aftermarket support then.
Sorry i can't be of more help.

backdoc
23-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Hmm, might have to wait a while for aftermarket support then.
Sorry i can't be of more help.

that's a good site though. The interface on those units looks really nice. Hope they bring out one to match up with the MY10 octy. Do you know what their prices are like?

team_v
23-12-2009, 03:06 PM
that's a good site though. The interface on those units looks really nice. Hope they bring out one to match up with the MY10 octy. Do you know what their prices are like?

The unit for the mk6 golf is $1750 landed in Australia and is a direct swap for the headunit.
It is designed with an OEM look but includes all the options of an stereo/satnav unit.

The Octavia facelift was new this year so i am not sure when an updated unit will be released.

Does the Facelift use an RCD310/510 or RNS510 stereo?
I believe the Skoda Columbus unit is identical to the RNS510 but i don't know if that applies to the facelift model.

Graybags
23-12-2009, 09:15 PM
I thought it was the RCD510 non satnav unit or the RNS510 satnav.

K1W1
23-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I guess if money is no object there is always the Blaupunkt option (http://www.blaupunkt.com/de/7612001030_main.asp).

Graybags
27-12-2009, 07:31 AM

I think I would like something more OEM looking.

BlackSuperb
27-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I think I would like something more OEM looking.

Looks prettly close to an OEM Columbus Nav to me.

Tezzwokka
09-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Right, I got my AVC9000 complete with rearview camera installed in my RS, replacing the Bolero unit. It was a marathon effort by the installer guy and I learned a lot about how the Octavia is put together.

First of all it works (with a couple of glitches). The canbus is partially recognised ie: no volume control but the volume mute works, uses the back button to go forward, that sort of thing.

So far, radio ok, SD card for music ok (need to get an SDHC now), Ipod works after a couple of tries to get the lead properly seated, navigation works great, bluetooth - got it to pair with my phone but so far not able to sync contacts and haven't tried to ring from it yet, haven't put a dvd or cd in it yet. TV works, very impressive. The whole unit doesn't work on the accessory key position which is a pain but I'm told it's a "safety" feature due to the power drain when it's up and running that would flatten the battery quickly, so you have to sit and watch TV or DVD's with the engine running, not very green:frown:.

My only problem is I'm getting a lamp warning on the dash, we think its from the LED used to replace the std light next to the camera being too low in wattage. I've tried an in-line resistor but no luck yet, so will have to play around with different sizes.

That's all I can think of for now, hope it helps someone.

PS: I also learnt that there is a launch control feature :cool: with the DSG boxes, haven't been game enough to try it out yet, but it's coming:eek:

PPS: Anyone need a Bolero unit?

backdoc
09-01-2010, 02:15 PM
That doesn't sound like a great outcome? You happy with all those compromises?

One thing I am interested in, are the heater controls and reverse sensor graphics indicated somehow on the screen?

Do you mind me asking what the installed price of this unit is?

JAZ_RS
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Right, I got my AVC9000 complete with rearview camera installed in my RS,

Have you got the new RS MY10 version or pre? This thread was originally started for the Mk6 version. If it is the new model can you shed some light on the canbus issues.

Tezzwokka
10-01-2010, 10:26 AM
My RS is an '09 update which is the same as the MY10 except for the LED running lights and uses MKV1 running gear

To answer your questions:
The heater controls etc DON'T show up on the screen, no big deal for me.
I put in a reversing camera which works great, so I don't know if the graphics show on screen (probably not) but the proximity beeps still work.

The costs so far - unit $725, installation $150, fascia plate $138 (ordered, awaiting delivery)

You get what you pay for I guess, but it's still way cheaper than the OEM unit. i only want it for the Ipod, navigation and bluetooth phone capability. The other stuff is nice but it's unlikely I'll be sitting in the car watching TV or DVD's, I want to be driving it.

The guy who installed it is a VW technician and this was his first Skoda installation and it took him about 8 hours to do it all, but was very fastidious which pleased me. Not so pleasing was seeing him rip out bits of plastic etc to install the wiring and stuff, but it all went back together nicely.

As an aside, the GPS shows that my speedo error is quite low - 4km/hr at 100km/hr and 3km/hr at 60km/hr which is good to know in "Victoria, the Speed Camera State".

backdoc
10-01-2010, 01:33 PM
150 for 8 hrs is alright

JAZ_RS
10-01-2010, 07:57 PM
My RS is an '09 update which is the same as the MY10 except for the LED running lights and uses MKV1 running gear.

Are you sure your car is the Mk6 version ie TSI not FSI model. If so are you able to PM me, or post here who did your install. I'd be interested to know how he had got around the canbus issue considering this was his first skoda. The installer I was going through has done plenty of skoda's (mk5) but when he saw mine knew straight away there would be issues because of the new canbus setup?

I'm still keen to get mine setup and installed. And I'm sure after playing around with the vagcom there would be something for the climate settings.

I did find some posts on another forum in regards to the heater controls on a Tiguan with the AVC unit.

Tezzwokka
11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Definitely a MKV1 with the TSI engine (cam chain).

The guy didn't do much with the canbus apart from plugging it in. He did have a hell of a time getting the huge plug settled into a place where it wouldn't foul the unit as there isn't much room. I'll check with him if he wants to do any more installations. He was referred to me by Rob at Auspack.

K1W1
11-01-2010, 10:39 AM
It may be worth keeping an eye on the battery then. It seems from what I have read that there may be some issues with the Canbus not turning things off correctly and the battery going flat after a couple of days of not driving the car.

JAZ_RS
11-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Definitely a MKV1 with the TSI engine (cam chain).

The guy didn't do much with the canbus apart from plugging it in.

Maybe this is the same guy Rob referred to me, but I didn't go with him because he hadn't done any skodas yet. Thats odd that this worked, because even Rob has followed up with the manufacturers in china for an outcome and already I know of 3 other units going into golf/audi's that had the same problem I faced?

When he initally plugged the unit in, did it just flash the buttons and nothing on the screen? Any info would be great.

Tezzwokka
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
The plot thickens. Mine fired upstraight away, tuned the radio and TV, and connected to my mobile by bluetooth while he was putting the car back together. He told me that my car was a combination of Audi and VW technology. It seems that the MY10 has even more changes from what you are saying.

Rob at Auspack wasn't sure that it would work with my car and at least gave me the option to return it if it didn't work.

Looks like I am very lucky to get it working, hope you can find some answers soon. Its a big job to pull it apart just to see if it will work.

Tezzwokka
14-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Some pictures of it in the car with new fascia plate.
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/tarwintez/Skodaheadunit.jpg

Reversing camera
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/tarwintez/Skodaheadunitreversecamera1.jpg

TV (only ABC at my place)
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/tarwintez/SkodaheadunitTV1.jpg

main menu
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/tarwintez/Skodaheadunitmenu1.jpg

K1W1
14-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Looks good to me.:banana:

Graybags
14-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi Tezzwokka, why did you need to buy new facia plate? does the unit not come with one or not correct style for the vRS
-Graham

schneller
14-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow the TV picture looks great.

I assume it would have came with a Golf facia plate. Therefore needed a Skoda one.

With the reverse camera do the blue lines on the video screen curve when you turn the steering wheel?

Maverick
15-01-2010, 01:39 AM
It may be worth keeping an eye on the battery then. It seems from what I have read that there may be some issues with the Canbus not turning things off correctly and the battery going flat after a couple of days of not driving the car.

You mean issues with the after market head unit being poorly designed and implemented with no testing I assume.

The CAN bus works just fine, it's not the car's fault that the head unit doesn't recognise the command to power down.

Maverick
15-01-2010, 02:00 AM
With the reverse camera do the blue lines on the video screen curve when you turn the steering wheel?

No. You need a OEM camera and controller to do this.

K1W1
15-01-2010, 09:04 AM
The CAN bus works just fine, it's not the car's fault that the head unit doesn't recognise the command to power down.

I was not blaming the CAN bus at all, simply suggesting to the poster that he keep an eye on things in case the problem is present. Better to warn somebody of a potential problem than have him stuck somewhere because he wasn't aware.

Tezzwokka
15-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi Tezzwokka, why did you need to buy new facia plate? does the unit not come with one or not correct style for the vRS
-Graham

No just the unit, that's why I had to get a new fascia plate which is different to the std one. Had to do a bit of research to get the right part number which i can supply if necessary.

JAZ_RS
16-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Had to do a bit of research to get the right part number which i can supply if necessary.

You need a new facia because the bolero unit is wider, this unit is the same size as the columbus. I had to wait 3 weeks for one to come in which skoda parts ordered for me to find out they completely botched the order with the wrong facia... I found this one on superskoda which is the brushed alu look;
http://www.superskoda.com/skoda/octavia-ii/octavia-ii-09-facelift-w-navi-dashboard-plate-brushed-aluminium
This is about half the price of ordering one through parts.

JAZ_RS
16-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Some pictures of it in the car with new fascia plate.

Awesome effort tezzwokka thanks for posting these:) Did Rob mention if this was the upgraded model with the high def screen which now comes standard? the picture quality on the TV reception looks great. When I picked up my head unit up he was excited to show me the difference from the old quality but I only watched a demo DVD not TV.

K1W1
16-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Is the TV tuner analogue or digital and can you have the TV or DVD picture on when the car is moving (which is actually illegal in Victoria at least)?

Tezzwokka
16-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Ok, in reply to all your questions. i just went for a spin around the block and, yes the DVD continue to play while driving as does the TV but gets a lot of pixelation due to the changing position. Have to be real careful about having those on, I guess. Not that I'm that interested but the grandkids might like it.

The TV tuner is digital and picks up HD channels. The manual states the resolution is 800X480 pixels. I think that is the newer version.

Damn, the fascia panel from superskoda is much cheaper but at least I was able to get mine delivered within 3 days down from Sydney.

JAZ_RS
21-01-2010, 01:41 PM
My RS is an '09 update which is the same as the MY10 except for the LED running lights and uses MKV1 running gear

Hi Tezza,

Could you tell me with the 09 update, on your MFD do you see the graphic of the car showing door's open or just a red icon? I read on Briskoda somewhere that the 09 update with just bolero and steering wheel upgrade only gets the non maxidot version of the MFD. This may shed some light on connecting the AVC9000-1.

K1W1
21-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Isn't the non Maxidot display red rather than white?

JAZ_RS
21-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Isn't the non Maxidot display red rather than white?

Yes your correct, I just found this out 30 min ago...and I think Tezza has the white version in his MFD

woofy
22-01-2010, 08:29 AM
They don't get the maxidot by default in the UK so just ignore any comments about things like that here. We all get the maxidot on every model of Octavia I think, not sure about the base models, but everything else has it and I've never seen it as an option.

Tezzz car was where they just updated the interior and nothing else, was kinda weird, but thats how it went until they finished updating the rest.

Tezzwokka
22-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes your correct, I just found this out 30 min ago...and I think Tezza has the white version in his MFD

Yep, got the white version of the MFD, and it shows an open door, no red anywhere (fortunately).

And it seems I have the old clothes over the new internals. Strange with the "update" and "facelift" model designations.

JAZ_RS
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Guys,

I've had this unit (AVC-9001) sitting snug in its box since buying it off Rob @ Auspack way back when this thread was created. He's given me the run around and basically I've given up on him (long story).

I'm now putting it up for sale to anyone who has a pre FL or the same model as Tezz's back, it won't work in the latest version ocie's. This unit is the upgraded monitor version (800 x 400) and if you want to see it running look at the pictures of Tezz's car back a few posts. Its got HD TV / and the gps software is both tom tom and iGO8. There is nothing wrong with this unit, all working 100%, as you will read in previous post's I needed the newer model for the Mk6 architecture which the manufacturer is currently working on and I'll probably still get. Here's some actual shots of the unit;

http://www.objetda.com/projects/skoda/IMG_1815_low.jpg

http://www.objetda.com/projects/skoda/IMG_1821_low.jpg

http://www.objetda.com/projects/skoda/IMG_1831_low.jpg

http://www.objetda.com/projects/skoda/IMG_1836_low.jpg

If anyone is interested they can PM me. I'm looking at around $700 + freight (or pickup in Melb) and for that price I'm throwing in the facia plate which you'll need (ordered from SuperSkoda) and the reversing camera. All up I have spent around $950, my loss is your gain.

I also have the installer's details who Tezz used for his install, and would vouch for. He's a VW electrical technician in Melb, and does this stuff after hours.