PDA

View Full Version : MK1 gearbox coversion

tassie_euro_mk1
21-02-2007, 05:45 PM
how u doin guys,

real quick question. should be a breeze for u golf nuts:D

If i were to put a manual GTI 5 speed (mark1 or mark2) in my Mk1, what kinda modifications would i need to do to the linkages?
And would i need to change the mount aswell?

Cheers ;)

silverMK1
21-02-2007, 08:38 PM
i think that all you need is a 5 speed mount and thats it.

Golf Loon
21-02-2007, 08:46 PM
All you need is the mount at the gearbox end.

GLDGTI on here can modify your 4 speed mount into a 5 speed one

I have just received a shipment of GTI gearboxes from the UK, including mounts, so holler if you want one. :D

twin eng, twin turbs
21-02-2007, 10:48 PM
You do require two linkage parts to enable you to shift across into fifth gear that are different to the 4 speed linkage. Because the fifth gear is next to third in cabin, the linkage has to move the input shaft on the gearbox out further to enable engagement. Their is a pivot point in the linkage directly above the passenger side CV flange that has two ball ends on it, this is different on the five speed linkage and so is the rod with the plastic clipped ends from the pivot point to linkage on the input shaft of the gearbox. With out these parts you wont be able to shift across into fifth!n:

roccodingo
22-02-2007, 12:01 AM
You do require two linkage parts to enable you to shift across into fifth gear that are different to the 4 speed linkage. Because the fifth gear is next to third in cabin, the linkage has to move the input shaft on the gearbox out further to enable engagement. Their is a pivot point in the linkage directly above the passenger side CV flange that has two ball ends on it, this is different on the five speed linkage and so is the rod with the plastic clipped ends from the pivot point to linkage on the input shaft of the gearbox. With out these parts you wont be able to shift across into fifth!n:

You can use the 4 speed linkage, however selecting 5th gear will be a bit notchy to engage.( due to the linkage differences..) My Mk 1 has 4 speed linkage, 5 speed O2O..

works better with the correct parts.

silverMK1
22-02-2007, 04:07 PM
thats prob why my car is a tad hard to get into 5th(not really hard but needs a jiggle). no biggie. its easy as when u get practice ;)

syncro
22-02-2007, 04:54 PM
thats prob why my car is a tad hard to get into 5th(not really hard but needs a jiggle). no biggie. its easy as when u get practice ;)
You should also use a 5 speed gear lever plate.

Golf Loon
22-02-2007, 05:38 PM
I supply gearboxes with the pivot plate and rod attached, but you are right twinturbs it is different to the 4 speeds.

The 5 speed baseplates are hard to find syncro, I grind a piece off the 4 speed one, or just have a close 5th gate.

syncro
22-02-2007, 07:02 PM
The 5 speed baseplates are hard to find syncro, I grind a piece off the 4 speed one, or just have a close 5th gate.

I don't know why they made them different. If you put one in front of me I couldn't tell which one it was unless I had one to compare it to. There only needs to be 2mm difference.:???:

Some people can get away with the 4 speed plate and others (like mine) need the 5 speed.

blackgti1.8
22-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Yeah, I can't tell the difference either - it must be subtle.
I've got one of each (complete with attached car...), and they look the same.
Is it just the base plate?

syncro
22-02-2007, 09:01 PM
From what I can remember the plate is made from two pieces and the top piece is welded about 2mm closer to the end.

(This is from memory as I was playing around with this stuff 15 years ago when we had to work it out for ourselves.)

Golf Loon
22-02-2007, 10:00 PM
There is more than 2mm of slop in most Golf shifters so its largely academic ;)

syncro
22-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Maybe that's the problem, we were using new parts and trying to do it properly.

tassie_euro_mk1
25-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Cheers guys for your input. Your information as helped greatly.

Much appreciated.

Got myself a box from Golfloon. Ill let you know how the conversion went. Ill post some pics for people who are interested in the conversion and know little about it (like me).

gldgti
25-02-2007, 06:32 PM
dont worry about hte baseplate.

if you take out the part of your linkage that attaches to the rod via the clamt and cut/weld it to be about an inch longer, you'll get more throw with your sideways movement att the stick, making the whole thing closer and frankly nicer to operate.

aydan