PDA

View Full Version : Clutching solutions

DIDZ
20-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Hi All,

It has been a few months now, and I'm looking at replacing/upgrading my clutch that won't melt away fairly quickly.

My humble hatchback has a fairly decent kick in the pants and I don't feel that the OEM clutch is going to do the job at all. Actually it won't for much longer.

I've been looking at clutches left, right, and centre, and from what I can only gather with the MKIV GTI's are:

- Either a 220mm or 225mm clutch.
- Dual mass flywheel. (why so ?)

Now my requirements aren't so demanding. Something that will handle close to 300hp and will not crumble like an Arnott's biscuit under pressure should I take it for a few passes at WSID or get continuously happy; pedal feel not really a problem, my legs are strong!

Now I've seen many companies advertising their clutches and word around the community says VR6 power clutches can fit (228mm) and will do the job. Most kits quote the Sachs 228mm VR6 clutch.

If possible, looking for the Power clutch and lightened flywheel kit. (Something stage 1).

Anyone have any recommendations where to purchase ?

BLKMJC
20-02-2007, 10:59 PM
PM or email bug racer, he posts on this forum.

I would go for a ECS Stage 1 kit which includes light flywheel and is pretty cheap. But its only rated for about 270hp.

What I would definately do is get a Pelquin LSD... before you get a clutch or at the same time :)

BLKMJC

DIDZ
20-02-2007, 11:22 PM
PM or email bug racer, he posts on this forum.

I would go for a ECS Stage 1 kit which includes light flywheel and is pretty cheap. But its only rated for about 270hp.

What I would definately do is get a Pelquin LSD... before you get a clutch or at the same time :)

BLKMJC

I believe bug racer is quite the "busy" person from his posts previously - I'll send him and email and call him in the morning to see what kind of pricing he can offer.

ECS Stage 2 Clutch Kit (228mm) With ECS 14lbs Flywheel, 275-330hp looks like it will cater to my needs/power range... worst come to worst I'll airfreight it.

LSD not really required as I value first and second and treat them accordingly.....

BLKMJC
20-02-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes I think he has been pretty busy lately, but one of the best guys to speak to in the country about this.

Mine only has about 260hp and I blew the gearbox/diff.. and I value my 1st and 2nd too. It actually let go in 5th :) but yes who knows when the damaged occured. Either way if you gove above 200hp get the LSD... unless you want to buy a new box. Pay to play ;)

BLKMJC

gpk_gti
21-02-2007, 06:28 AM
Derek at European Autotech Pty Limited

4 Polo Avenue, Unit 5
Mona Vale
NSW 2103
tel: +61 2 9979.4484
fax: +61 2 9979.4384
http://www.europeanautotech.com.au
email: derek@europeanautotech.com.au
you should also contact the guy that built the car(the guy you were telling me about) and you should also give Derek a call.heard alot of good things about him.