PDA

View Full Version : Mods for GTi in North QLD

dancet
19-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Hi all. I recently purchased a 2001 GTi. I totally love it and it's completely stock. So of course after a few weeks of driving it and researching online I'm keen to get an APR/GIAC chip in it, along with some other mods like a new diverter valve and perhaps an exhaust (turbo back?) in due time. Also want to get my iPod hooked up to the stereo somehow.

Does anyone know of anyone or anywhere that can help with these kind of mods in North Queensland (I'm in Townsville)? I know there is a place in Bris that does APR chip installs and other VW related work, but 1600 Km's is a fair drive. If I purchased the chip, could I get a shop here to install it for me? I'd love to do it myself, but I'm not too handy under the bonet (though I'd like to learn).

Also has anyone got their iPod running through the stock stereo? I know there is plenty of info around on doing this, but I'm wondering if anyone on these forums has done it or had it done.

Are any of the members of this forum located in Townsville/North QLD?

Thanks for any help!

DubSteve
19-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Welcome Dancet.

Nice choice of car as there are many people on this forum that can help you with alot of things, relating to your car.

PM Guy H. He can help you with all your needs and mods that you may want to do with your car.

Enjoy your stay on the forum.

BLKMJC
19-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Welcome and nice choice of car!

I cant give u any info about places to mod your car up north, but regarding the stereo/ipod I would recommend you get a new HU. The difference is night and day vs the standard eurovox unit. A new HU will also probably have ipod integration so that solves that problem.

Stock speakers on the MK4 are quite decent so you can leave them.

Id also recommend better suspension, the MK4 imo has very bad standard suspension even for cruising, its very soft :(

jbot
19-02-2007, 07:12 PM
in regards to getting a chip. you can always freight your ecu to the tuner of your choice. you might not have the car for a couple days, but you won't have to travel any retarded distance!

Taking out the ecu takes 15 mins or so.
http://www.goapr.com/VW/support/ecu_tt_golf_gti_jetta.pdf

Its a well practiced thing to do in north america, and i did it aswell.

WEDEL.1
19-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Hallo Townsville, my wife comes from Ayr.

Maris

dancet
20-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the comments and recommendations everyone.

I will have to decide between upgraded suspension or a chip first up I think...tough decision!

RedMk2Gti
20-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the comments and recommendations everyone.

I will have to decide between upgraded suspension or a chip first up I think...tough decision!

IMO, always get the handling right first, then make it go fast :)

gpk_gti
20-02-2007, 06:22 PM
fast car,bad handling=recipe for disaster:o .always suspension first!!! then power!!