PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip in my vRS

TuNeS
26-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I just did a road trip from Brisbane to Rockhampton via Hervey Bay. Did just over 1400kms and am extremely happy with my Octy vRS.

I was towing my go-kart which sits on top of my trailer (not exactly aerodynamic....resembles a parachute!) and the trailer was full of tools, fuel, water.......etc. I would estimate the trailer to have weighed in at about 270kgs full loaded. Also had three people in the car (2 females = extra baggage).

All I can say is wow. The car was a dream to drive the whole way. Seats were comfortable and the torque of that little turbo 2.0L TSI was a dream. I left it in 6th gear with the cruise control on and it ate up the hills. I wouldnt budge off the speed I set it to and pulled like a train in 6th gear with all that weight. I occassionally hit 5th for a big hill with the cruise off and the car would continue to accelerate up the hill as long as I left my foot on the right pedal. This car tows better than my old VR commodore. Amazing considering it uses half the juice! I averaged about 8.8L per 100km with the trailer and all that weight. Not bad if you ask me. Also, the music kept flowing with a 32gb SD card on board.

Everyday I drive this car I just think.....wow! Very happy with it and will trade it for another one in 3 years time.

backdoc
26-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I just did a road trip from Brisbane to Rockhampton via Hervey Bay. Did just over 1400kms and am extremely happy with my Octy vRS.

I was towing my go-kart which sits on top of my trailer (not exactly aerodynamic....resembles a parachute!) and the trailer was full of tools, fuel, water.......etc. I would estimate the trailer to have weighed in at about 270kgs full loaded. Also had three people in the car (2 females = extra baggage).

All I can say is wow. The car was a dream to drive the whole way. Seats were comfortable and the torque of that little turbo 2.0L TSI was a dream. I left it in 6th gear with the cruise control on and it ate up the hills. I wouldnt budge off the speed I set it to and pulled like a train in 6th gear with all that weight. I occassionally hit 5th for a big hill with the cruise off and the car would continue to accelerate up the hill as long as I left my foot on the right pedal. This car tows better than my old VR commodore. Amazing considering it uses half the juice! I averaged about 8.8L per 100km with the trailer and all that weight. Not bad if you ask me. Also, the music kept flowing with a 32gb SD card on board.

Everyday I drive this car I just think.....wow! Very happy with it and will trade it for another one in 3 years time.

That's cool as mine will be towing a go kart too so good to know it's no probs...........I've never towed with a front wheel drive car before. Economy is nice too! Now, just another 3 months to wait :(

TuNeS
26-11-2009, 08:01 PM
what class do you race your kart in?

backdoc
27-11-2009, 08:41 PM
what class do you race your kart in?

Clubman light. But the winter coat is pushing me ever so closer to clubby heavy. Have Club Champs tomorrow & Sunday. I run middle of the field. Just for fun. The guys at the pointy end have been doing it all their lives and it wouldn't matter how much money I throw at it I haven't got the experience or the motor to get to the front. I like to think I have the skill but............I've only been running for about 4 years but I love it! :banana:

TuNeS
29-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Clubman light. But the winter coat is pushing me ever so closer to clubby heavy. Have Club Champs tomorrow & Sunday. I run middle of the field. Just for fun. The guys at the pointy end have been doing it all their lives and it wouldn't matter how much money I throw at it I haven't got the experience or the motor to get to the front. I like to think I have the skill but............I've only been running for about 4 years but I love it! :banana:

I race in Restricted Heavy, but am about to upgrade my license to B grade to race in unrestricted Rotax. I have been racing about a year and absolutely love it too! Its hard to beat the guys who have been racing since they were 7 :)

backdoc
29-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I race in Restricted Heavy, but am about to upgrade my license to B grade to race in unrestricted Rotax. I have been racing about a year and absolutely love it too! Its hard to beat the guys who have been racing since they were 7 :)

I ended up going ok. I couldn't get my setup sorted and qualified 12th out of 14 on Sat. Then Heat 1 finished 10th & then DNF in Heat 2. Today in Pre-final started 14th out of 14 runners. It was heavy rain and I made it up to 6th and was the 3rd fastest. Then in Final started 6th and finished 5th being the highest placed C grader.

All in all I was pretty happy with that. When I DNFed & was starting in 14th for the pre-final I was gutted but there you go, you never know whats going to happen in racing.

Now some summer testing and better start running!

Have you tried the Leopard's? That is a fun kart. I'm not sure if you are in Vic but Leopard's are gaining in popularity and probably have quite a few more in the field than the Rotax's.

TuNeS
29-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I ended up going ok. I couldn't get my setup sorted and qualified 12th out of 14 on Sat. Then Heat 1 finished 10th & then DNF in Heat 2. Today in Pre-final started 14th out of 14 runners. It was heavy rain and I made it up to 6th and was the 3rd fastest. Then in Final started 6th and finished 5th being the highest placed C grader.

All in all I was pretty happy with that. When I DNFed & was starting in 14th for the pre-final I was gutted but there you go, you never know whats going to happen in racing.

Now some summer testing and better start running!

Have you tried the Leopard's? That is a fun kart. I'm not sure if you are in Vic but Leopard's are gaining in popularity and probably have quite a few more in the field than the Rotax's.

Well done! Rain is always the equaliser for driver talent.

I live in Brisbane where most people run Rotax motors. The leopard is a nice motor and quick off the low rev corners and again at high revs. The Rotax is really strong in the mid-range so its fun racing in TAG-R with all the different motors. The Rotax is very economical though which is why I run it. I have put 14 hours on my motor and it will do 25 before a top end rebuild.

dazag
29-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I have thought about getting into Karting ( taking a break from racing dirt bikes) and need to work out what would be a good class for a beginner....

TuNeS
30-11-2009, 08:10 AM
I have thought about getting into Karting ( taking a break from racing dirt bikes) and need to work out what would be a good class for a beginner....

dazag, feel free to PM me for more info. My advice to start is;

Find your local track and then visit a club day. check out http://www.karting.net.au/calendar.asp for the events in your area.
Find your local kart shop and have a chat with them.

Dont rush in and buy a kart until you have done both of the above. That will give you heaps of ideas.

Essentially choosing your class will come down to the following 2.
Clubman: 100cc air cooled
TAG-Restricted: 125cc water cooled with clutch and starter motor

My advice is run TAG-Restricted if you are new. The motors have exhaust restricters to slow them to clubman speeds. Once you have done 9 race meetings, you can elect to upgrade to a B grade license and take the restricter out. Also, the ability to sit in your kart and press the starter button and 'your away' is a huge draw card (you dont need to drag someone along to push start you). Choose the motor the majority race in your area which would be either Rotax or Leopard.

Here are a few good links.
www.kartsportnews.com
www.kartbook.net

Hope this helps. Its a brilliant sport and I love it, just dont pay attention to all of the politics.