PDA

View Full Version : "Reluctant" gearbox

Wand Weaver
18-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm curious whether anyone else has had any issues with getting their Polo's into 1st gear after sitting at idle out of gear for a while?

It's happened a few times (not many) since I got the car when the gearbox doesn't quite want to go into first - it seems to get "stuck" halfway up the gate and doesn't fully engage.

Just wondering whether it's an issue I should really get looked at by a dealership - or whether it can be a little reluctant sometimes?

I've only crunched it once - all other times, I've put the car into second, then into first - resulting in a rather "un-GTI" takeoff :???:

shaneth
18-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Im pretty sure its a safety feature to stop you going from 5th or reverse or something straight into 1st. Mine does it sometimes when i pull up at lights without down changing gears. All you have to do is slip it into second and then back to first.

Wand Weaver
18-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Im pretty sure its a safety feature to stop you going from 5th or reverse or something straight into 1st. Mine does it sometimes when i pull up at lights without down changing gears. All you have to do is slip it into second and then back to first.

Cheers mate :)

Saved me looking like a goose at the dealership. Now that I know it's not just mine, I'm not worried about it at all, especially since what you said makes sense.

shaneth
18-02-2007, 09:35 PM
Yeah my last car had the same thing so when the polo did it to me the first time i figured it out.

Guy_H
19-02-2007, 08:30 AM
We have been working on engine mounts on the little fellows, our first prototypes went in Friday, although too stiff (ie: too much vibration at idle) - the difference in the shifting action is amazingly transformed.

These things run a cable shift gearbox, and the rear pedulum mount is the same as the one from the 1.2 litre, 40 kw car, so its not realy meant to handle the HP & Torque we are putting through it. The engine can rock just on 50mm at the extent of the arc of travel, the shifter cables are constantly being stretched & compressed in this movement. The poor gearshifter struggles under these conditions!

Its a difficult engineering issue to fix, but after a couple of months, we almost have it sorted.

Guy_H
20-02-2007, 07:44 AM
:) Good news is the mount has settled & the vibration settled down - seems like the mount requires a bit of break in time (like most engine mounts)

insanekiwi
07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Guy,

When is this modification going to be completed? I am eagerly waiting for it!

Adam
07-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Guy,

When is this modification going to be completed? I am eagerly waiting for it!

alittle off topic. a friend of mine was telling me that putting synthetic gearbox oil will improve the shifts?? is that true?

insanekiwi
07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
From what I've heard in the past, best to stick with the fluid recommended.

Only thing I really heard positive was redline gearbox fluid, apparently really good...

VWindahouse
07-10-2007, 06:43 PM
From what I've heard in the past, best to stick with the fluid recommended.

Only thing I really heard positive was redline gearbox fluid, apparently really good...

I have used redline fluid before in the very knotchy toyota sportivo 6 speed gear box. Made shifting a lot smoother even at high revs!