PDA

View Full Version : turbocharged and supercharged tsi

nicandlance
25-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Does anyone know whether the supercharger and turbo in the tsi is likely to have longevity and what either of these items would cost to replace? Not that I don't 'trust' VW, it's just that the more things on a car, the more there is to go haywire! :rolleyes:

cktsi
25-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Given the 118TSI is new, you're probably in the wrong forum. Best to pose this question in the Mark V forum.

The supercharger & turbo charger are proven technologies within the VW-Audi group. So I would have thought if anything was to go wrong it's the control flap that diverts the airflow between the supercharger & turbo... but even that doesn't look that complex (unless they dumbed it down on the VW sites & marketing materials).

cktsi
25-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh... the reason I mention the Mark V forum is the owners of the GT Sport or Golf GT should be able to comment on this since the engine is almost identical.

Greg Roles
25-11-2009, 04:25 PM
The TSI seems to be going pretty strong amongst the MKV TSI crew and even Polar hasn't blown his up yet, so I'd have to say the short to mid term results are looking good. You'd have to begin to worry about the supercharger beyond 300k's, but so too would the bore possibly need doing by that stage anyhow. VW have tested the setup to those sort of km's though, according to the brochure!

nicandlance
29-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Are these likely to be expensive replacements? Anyone know?

guliver_twist
29-11-2009, 09:35 AM
by tha time the car would probably be so old that you wouldnt bother replacing the supercharger and would probably just get an engine from a wrecked one with less milage and do a swap :P

GTom
29-11-2009, 09:42 AM
I've got mine (Mk V) going to 30k km and haven't had problems yet.

Have to say I'm pretty happy with it...

Oh and if you ever need to replace it, see if you can get a larger turbo! :biggrin:

Paul_OH
29-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Just over 30K on mine now and no issues with the engine at all. Engine fully free'd up by around 10K and smooth motoring ever since - highly recommended :cool46:

GTom
29-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Just over 30K on mine now and no issues with the engine at all. Engine fully free'd up by around 10K and smooth motoring ever since - highly recommended :cool46:

Have you tuned yours yet Paul?

Paul_OH
29-11-2009, 04:25 PM
No I haven't Tom, I was going to but my car budget ran dry for the year and we're leaving in 10 days to Europe for 5 weeks. So will probably be 2nd Qtr next year I think. I DO want to though! :cool:

GTom
29-11-2009, 06:20 PM
No I haven't Tom, I was going to but my car budget ran dry for the year and we're leaving in 10 days to Europe for 5 weeks. So will probably be 2nd Qtr next year I think. I DO want to though! :cool:

I know the feeling! I'm waiting for next year to come around then will get a new intake and possibly Down Pipe, leaning towards the GruppeM one atm....