PDA

View Full Version : Towbars and Trailer Hitch Preparation

onyertod
24-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Reading past threads relating to towbars for the Octavia, there appears to have been some confusion as to supply, fitting and cost.

When checking the option codes on my wagon I came across 1D7 which decodes as "Trailer Hitch Preparation" - but I am trying to establish what that means when I come to fit a towbar.

If you have had a towbar fitted recently would you care to share your experience??

aslsw
24-11-2009, 11:02 PM
I want/need a towbar too. I was told that there was preparation that was done at the factory for the towbar ie. the towbar is fitted in Australia, but prep work is required. As far as I can tell, it's got something to do with ensuring that the rear parking sensors don't interfere with towing.

Transporter
25-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Maybe one of the dealers in the forum could tell us more about it. It could mean that there is already tow bar controller fitted and all is needed is bolt the tow

bar and plug the wiring from the socket on the controller box.

Anyway it would be handy to know.

backdoc
25-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Reading past threads relating to towbars for the Octavia, there appears to have been some confusion as to supply, fitting and cost.

When checking the option codes on my wagon I came across 1D7 which decodes as "Trailer Hitch Preparation" - but I am trying to establish what that means when I come to fit a towbar.

If you have had a towbar fitted recently would you care to share your experience??

I've factory ordered mine but it was about $1800 from memory. Unfortunately I had to have it, but could've done without the cost! My uncle just ordered a new BMW X5 and I was complaining about the cost of my tow bar and his was the same. But, he said that with the BMW factory fit tow bar you get uprated rear springs as part of the package to cope with the towing load. He thought that maybe Skoda did something similar. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I know it can be fitted after on the Skoda as the dealer suggested leaving it until the vehicle to arrive just in case someone (e.g. Hayman Reece) made an aftermarket bar by that stage that would be cheaper.

boris
25-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Trailer prep 1D7 is the wiring harness for the trailer control unit.

You will still need to purchase the towbar and control unit from a dealer and have them fitted. The purpose of trailer prep is to make the fitting of a towbar less labor intensive by eliminating the need to run wiring between the front and rear of the vehicle as its already installed when the vehicle is built.

I wouldnt go with an aftermarket bar as the trailer control module lets other systems in the vehicle (ESP, ABS, Park Assist and Steering) when a trailer is installed. It will also monitor the globes on your trailer.

Boris

TuNeS
26-11-2009, 07:16 PM
I got my car fitted with a tow bar from new. the installation is professional and I can remove it without any trace which is something I like....towbars are ugly.

However, I need the dealer to see why my reversing sensors are still activated. To be honest, it doesnt bother me that much as I rarely reverse with the trailer on, but its something I will get them to fix at the next service. I also get the globe warning light coming on, however I researched that issue on the briskoda forums and it is normal and nothing to worry about.

backdoc
27-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I got my car fitted with a tow bar from new. the installation is professional and I can remove it without any trace which is something I like....towbars are ugly.

However, I need the dealer to see why my reversing sensors are still activated. To be honest, it doesnt bother me that much as I rarely reverse with the trailer on, but its something I will get them to fix at the next service. I also get the globe warning light coming on, however I researched that issue on the briskoda forums and it is normal and nothing to worry about.

Did u hear anything about the rear spring thing I mentioned earlier? Are they any different with a factory ordered tow bar?

Also, how easy is it to remove? Simple as in no tools, or simple as in one or two bolts?

dazag
29-11-2009, 11:52 AM

I think you'll find they may not have re-programmed your ECU for the towbar fitment, I know one of the guys here had that same problem and it was a program change.

I've had a towbar fitted to my RS from new, I still haven't run it with a trailer on, until I've done a few more K's on it to run it in a bit more.

TuNeS
29-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Did u hear anything about the rear spring thing I mentioned earlier? Are they any different with a factory ordered tow bar?

Also, how easy is it to remove? Simple as in no tools, or simple as in one or two bolts?

I will take some photos for you this afternoon. There is a 6mm allen key bolt which is more of a 'safety' as well as the quick release pin. I am not sure if you have to use it, however to be sure I have always kept it in and leave a 6mm allen key in the side pockets of the boot. Apart from that it is fast and simple to remove. Takes me about 2 minutes. Plus, there is no hole at the bottom of the rear bumper so when its off it looks clean.

drew-8888
19-08-2010, 08:14 AM
anyone got pics of what the factory towbar looks like (on and removed)?
im pricing one up at the moment for my 09 vRS wagon.

cheers
Drew

JP_Aircooled_TDi
19-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I ordered the towbar from the dealer when we bought the octavia - and yes, it did cost an arm and a leg. As far as I know, there was no uprating of springs at the back (to cope with the extra load). It was not mentioned at all during conversations about the towbar. The cost only covered instalation of the bar and electrical harnass. I have a strong feeling that this is not a 'factory' towbar, but I am still happy with it.

I've got pics of it somewhere her on the forum, will search later.

JP

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/08/20090204SV300095cprs600-1.jpg

The only problem with this bar is that it tends to reduce the clearance at the back, which is noticable over speed humps and steep driveways - it grounds out. I'm not worried about the bar, but it concerns me regarding the mounting points (in the bodywork).

Swampy
23-08-2010, 07:31 PM
The towbar requires the wiring from the firewall to the rear end to be replaced, as a different loom is used for towbars. The total cost is about $1400 (including the loom). If possible order the bar at the time of the car as the loom is installed at the factory and not by a dealer's apprentice.

The bar can be removed, and even comes with a cover for the end, but is a complete PITA, especially when the dealer's apprentice mounts the electrical connector right next to the towbar. Personally I'd leave the towbar on for a little extra protection for the underside and rearside of the car (they do drag at times), but it does reduce the ground clearance slightly.

Depending on the wiring connector installation location, beware of it being snagged and broken (again a complete PITA). If you have a trailer with LED lights, you will need a 'load box' installed, if you have normal lights regular maintenance is required to avoid 'light bulb fault' warnings on the dash (stay away from the 'old Aussie trailer' with smashed/missing lights).

aslsw
24-08-2010, 09:40 AM
The only problem with this bar is that it tends to reduce the clearance at the back, which is noticable over speed humps and steep driveways - it grounds out. I'm not worried about the bar, but it concerns me regarding the mounting points (in the bodywork).

Yes, I've noticed that the back end scrapes sometimes and have to remember to take any bump at an angle. I tried to remove the tow bar and it is impossible. And on the weekend I tried to remove the ball so that I could put on the bracket for the bike carrier and failed at that too - might need a long pipe to get a bit more leverage.

MarksVRS
30-08-2010, 08:55 PM
I questioned the price of the tow bar when I ordered the car ($1800) and I was told it also covered reprogramming the computer so the reverse sensors were off when towing. I use a trailer on a semi regular basis and I have already had enough of the constant beeping when reversing. I will be demanding to have it fixed at the service, or else I will ask for them to take it off and give me a refund!

Yes I also have clearance issues although the front easily scrapes on steep drive ways so I thought it was just a problem of lower suspension....

daft1014
31-08-2010, 07:55 AM
I got a quote for retro fitting our Octavia with "factory" towbar. Was quoted $490.00 for towbar and $800 for wiring harness. Cost of labour was $570. Seems rather expensive but I suppose that is the price for having fancy electronics in new cars. :?

Inego
31-08-2010, 08:43 AM
I thought the ID7 code was for towing prep? My Scout certainly has it, and I need to get a connection fitted for the lights on my bike rack, so I'm not going to take any BS about getting a wiring loom fitted for something which, AFAIK, is a mostly matter of loading a different program onto the computer.....

drew-8888
01-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I went to a local joint in Adelaide yesteday and showed them some pics of a euro aftermarket install done on a wagon <from octavia-vrs.com>

they said they could fabricate and install a standard tounge bar for $600 or a square hayman reese style for $700
then I'd have to get it wired.

how does this sound compared to a factory item? Im still waiting on a price for a factory bar from a contact I have.

I also saw this bar on an Occy wagon recently in a shopping centre carpark. Is this what the standard item looks like with the tounge removed?? I didnt hang around too long to look at it, as i got a few strange looks from people as i took this happy snap!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/1xGUUeTl_P9zivJ-j037sw?feat=directlink

K1W1
01-09-2010, 01:15 PM
they said they could fabricate and install a standard tounge bar for $600 or a square hayman reese style for $700
then I'd have to get it wired.

If you go with the square style it will either be so low that you'll drag the back end over speed bumps or they will have to cut up the bumper to install it.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
01-10-2010, 10:59 PM
I got a Bestbar towbar installed on my RS wagon a few weeks ago. Very neat and it looks good. Tonite was the first time I towed with it and I was impressed with the stability of the car and the performance - barely lost any. However when I put the car into reverse the reverse sensors were going nuts - I thought the car automatically disabled the reverse sensors when the trailers electrics were plugged in? Can someone confirm?

Thanks

dodgey
02-10-2010, 02:25 AM
However when I put the car into reverse the reverse sensors were going nuts - I thought the car automatically disabled the reverse sensors when the trailers electrics were plugged in? Can someone confirm?

Thanks

It needs to be coded for the trailer, or it will go nuts... The dealer should be able to do it, and I think someone with VCDS can do that too...

Antiplastix
02-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Who is Bestbar ? Are they a local Melb. co. Surely you can just push the switch and turn the sensors off when reversing with the trailer. I have the ID7 pack but arent going to pay $1400-1800 to fit a bar.

Mic Mac
30-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere, my search didn't find anything.

I have a 2009 Scout & had the dealer fit a factory towbar with electric plug & yes, my reverse sensors go off as well, but I can live with this.

I have a small camper trailer & require an electric brake contoller as it exceeds the limit. I also have an existing Hayman & Reese electric brake controller that I was hoping to reuse.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone had a brake controller fitted before?

2. Does anyonme know if there are potential compatibility issues? I know that when I tow the work trailor which is fitted with LED lights, not all lights work on the trailer.

3. I've had several quote to wire only ranging from $210 to $400, with the later guy telling me it was a 5hr job & special switchbox was required

4. Can anyone recommend an auto electrician for Melbourne inner city area? Happy to travel further if they're good & have previous experience fitting them

Thanks for your help

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
30-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Give Auto Towbars in Box Hill North a go as they have fitted a few towbars to Octavias/Scouts before. Not exactly inner Melb but they know the car. Cheers

Mic Mac
01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Give Auto Towbars in Box Hill North a go as they have fitted a few towbars to Octavias/Scouts before. Not exactly inner Melb but they know the car. Cheers

Thanks, I'll give them a call

MarksVRS
07-12-2010, 09:12 PM
After returning my car twice for this so-called "re-programming", I found the beeping still goes crazy with the trailer reversing and it seems I am not the only one.

Can anyone confirm if they have been successful in this quest???

CanberravRS
07-12-2010, 09:22 PM
On the Superb, i don't have any issues with the reverse sensors at all. Trailer hooked up.. its silent.

dazag
08-12-2010, 08:47 PM
After returning my car twice for this so-called "re-programming", I found the beeping still goes crazy with the trailer reversing and it seems I am not the only one.

Can anyone confirm if they have been successful in this quest???

Who did you take it to?? They need to plug in the VAG-COM and turn the actual "reverse sensor disengage" function ON for when the trailer is connected. Sorry i cant remember the exact code but I guess i could find out for you?
I had bull**** fed to me by the service department at a now de-funct Skoda dealership in Sydney. Was a Tow Bar control unit fault according to them, but was simply that they had no idea about how to turn the disengage function on ( I gave them 2 attempts at trying to sort the problem - 2 trips to Sydney to have them fix sweet FA)
I've since had the reverse sensor issue sorted for when I'm towing, and also found out that the towbar Control Unit was a South Amercian version and what was causing a small lighting issue ( would throw a "blown bulb" caution on the dash when i switched the lights on )
All fixed under warranty and by a very switched on service department here in Newcastle. The guys here in Newy are brilliant, pity you're not up this way, I'm sure they would have yu sorted out no problems.

dec76
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
would be great to know the coding for the deactivation of the rear sensors when the trailer is hooked up.

dazag, any chance of finding out as i would still like to use front sensors whilst towing!

Cheers

Heath

Ozsko
04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
On the Superb, i don't have any issues with the reverse sensors at all. Trailer hooked up.. its silent.

There is a switch on the console kindly supplied when the car was built in my Superb.