PDA

View Full Version : VR6 intermittent cut out on starting - any suggestions?

golfvr6
04-11-2005, 09:09 AM
i've had this problem for a few years on my 95 vr6 and never solved the problem.

car starts normally but then after about 2 seconds of running, cuts out immeditately and almost instantaneously - like there is no fuel. happens intermittently but can't predict when it will occur. sometimes takes 6-8 goes at starting up before engine stays running.

opening the throttle before ignition sometimes helps.

no other problems once it goes. took it to a dealer a while back but of course couldn't replicate behaviour.

any advice?

20v kit car
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
the problem is the reader coil for the imobilizer..if you have a spare key use it as the magnetic code may be a bit better condition than the high use key...a dealer will be able to either recode the 2 keys and replace the readercoil as it comes up as a hard fault on the test vas system....try and remove the key and reinsert it the next time the prob happens...hope this sheds some light on the prob and cure cheers steve

Golfwise
10-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Well done Kit that sounds like good info.I'll be putting that one in the memory bank. 8)

golfvr6
16-12-2005, 10:50 AM
yippee! seems to have done the job - remove and re-insert the key - simplest and cheapest fix ever (it has only happened 3 times since the first post, but each time the second key insert has worked! - so i will take that as a good trend....

thanks for the information!!!! :lol:

imported_brackie
16-12-2005, 11:06 AM
Thanks, 20v kit car! That's what this forum is all about!

golfvr6
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM
well.... it had to prove me wrong....

it happened again but the key-reinsertion didn't work this time!

after about 10 goes at it (key in and out), it finally stayed on

the car must have been reading my thoughts - i was thinking just the day before it happened that i should rewire the kill switch which i took off a few years ago because i thought that may be the problem.

Maybe it is the key - and maybe needs a good hit to whack it back into shape!