PDA

View Full Version : Some more advice

Jmac
24-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Guys and gals, i know its one of the topics that can be very exhaustive. Ok we all know about the mishap with some of the APK 2.0 engines that cause them to drink a bit of oil. ( control ring being stamped top on the bottom, thus the installer fits it right according to teap on the ring , but in actual fact its wrong, you catch the drift) Anyway we need to try and and slow the process down. Latest goodie is Shell HX7 K. I see Supercheap have it on the shelf much to my surprise as ive been looking all over for it, its 15w 50 synth. Well worth a try and i have a couple of candidates. Next is onto Penrite. I am going to be trading with Penrite and have a technical rep paying me a visit Friday. I have personally seen the letter from VAG regarding the Penrite Enviro, authorising the use in a very broad range and mainly for the TDIs. Good news really as we have been tied to using Castrol SLX which can only be got at VW. Ill be talking to him about the oil burn issue and see what they have to offer
Stay tuned
Cheers
Jmac

Transporter
24-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey, Jmac check out specs on Penrite HPR15 it is 15W60 it is one very tough oil, it resists burning at high temp. and it has very high HTHS no.
I use Penrite oils for 6 months now I moved from ELF (not completely tough). You will like the cost of Enviro oil. ;)

Anyone needs to reduce oil consumption in older engine try Penrite HPR15

Jmac
24-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah you are right mate, im liking what i hear from Penrite already, ive been using it for a while now, ill be set up Friday, keen as
Cheers
Jmac

gldgti
01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
true that fella's. I'm now 4 changes into using HPR Diesel 5 (5W-40 i think..) in my mk3 and it doesnt burn much at all... not enough to top up between changes, which i've taken out to 8000km now. also began using HPR-15 (like transporter mentioned) semi synth diesel in the cabby diesel (old, old 1.5 diesel) and its very good in that too!)

vinderliker
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I use the Penrite HPR15 in the Little Beastie and it is fantastic. I never needed to top up the oil in my 1000ks Christmas journey. Change ever 5000 or 3 months, although I don't really have to do the 3 month thing if i still have a few ks still to go.