PDA

View Full Version : Well the deposit is down, but thinking of changing the order????

Gumby
18-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Hi all,

I've been scouting these forums for a bit lately to see if there were any inherent issues with the Dubs before I committed to anything, but couldn't resist and now ones coming for me.

Deposit is down but because the car is already in Aus and not an order, I can change it if my mind changes.

I've ordered a Red 5 door with Roof and Leather but the R32 is still running around inside my head, it's 10K more which is fine but it just didn't feel that much better.......just loud. My wife actually liked the GTI better and to a point, so did I. But that glorious sound and AWD.............wish it would get here already so i wouldn't have a choice any more.

I dunno...........

shaneth
18-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the forums Gumby. Either one im sure you would enjoy. I havent driven either but from what i have read would buy the gti and flash it and then you would be keeping up with the R32 anyway and for a lot less money. Just my opinion.But that could change if i actually drove them both.

VWGTi
18-02-2007, 02:16 PM
HI Gumby,
Well, I just took delivery of my 5dr GTI also with leather and roof and loving every minute that I'm in it!!
I'm sure you'll enjoy either one you choose - but for my money, if I had the extra 10k I'd go the GTI and get it APR'd - which would cost less than 10k

I'm sure it's a decision that would be a great one either way you go.

Cheers,

GoLfMan
18-02-2007, 03:13 PM
I like the choice you have made mate!
look the GTi for all intensive purposes is cheaper to extract power from but the R32 driveline is absolutely superb (they both are) and that engine noise will put a smile on ur dile for years to come..... and u can flog it when its wet :D

REDMKVGTI
18-02-2007, 04:25 PM
This is what I am worried about, I am really close to puttng down an order for mine, just gotta work out the trade in and an actual price then off I go!

Dr Spine
18-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they'd put the 4Motion into the GTI.....that's about the only thing about the GTI I think they could have done better.........that and more power out of the factory so APR'ing etc would be considered not necessary by most.

srbsta
18-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if they'd put the 4Motion into the GTI.....that's about the only thing about the GTI I think they could have done better.........that and more power out of the factory so APR'ing etc would be considered not necessary by most.

then that would just be the best car money could buy hahhaahah would love to have AWD on the GTI :D

phaeton
18-02-2007, 05:38 PM
Welcome Gumby :D

I say if you want to be different go the R32 ;)

If you want an all round car go the GTI :D

REDMKVGTI
18-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Just been at my local VW dealer (Camberwell), they had a spankin new 4dr R32 in blue parked out the front.

Gotta say if the extra 10K was not a problem thats what I'd take...

Do it, you know you want to!

VWGTi
18-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Just been at my local VW dealer (Camberwell), they had a spankin new 4dr R32 in blue parked out the front.

Gotta say if the extra 10K was not a problem thats what I'd take...

Do it, you know you want to!

G'day REDMKVGTI,
Well, at my local VW dealer (Glen Waverley) are 2 Red GTIs - 3dr & 5dr - just letting you know in case you'd be interested in doing some negotiations with other dealerships, and they also have 1 R32 on display.

Cheers.

Gumby
18-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

Glen Wave is where I test drove both again. I took the manual R32 out and was told that it came in about 10mins before I arrived and that no one had driven it yet. Problem is, for mine, the DSG worked better in the GTI, whereas the R32 felt better with a clutch.

Bit of background, I have a Subie R spec B at home also and just sold an R33 GTR (both AWD), so the R32 looks right. But on every occassion I've driven both, the GTI just impressed me more. Felt more nimble and seemed to turn in more positively. The R32 was linear and loud and didn't feel any quicker. The thing hauls out of corners though. And did I mention the sound............don't think I'd need the windows.

Think I've decided, GTI probably does everything I want it to do and is just such a perfect package all round, and returns 8-9l/100, so doing my bit for the environment......ahh......who am I kidding.

Now 5 door or 3 door......aarrhhh.........3 door looks a little stumpy.

Can't wait, they are such strong performers.

VWGTi
18-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

Glen Wave is where I test drove both again. I took the manual R32 out and was told that it came in about 10mins before I arrived and that no one had driven it yet. Problem is, for mine, the DSG worked better in the GTI, whereas the R32 felt better with a clutch.

Bit of background, I have a Subie R spec B at home also and just sold an R33 GTR (both AWD), so the R32 looks right. But on every occassion I've driven both, the GTI just impressed me more. Felt more nimble and seemed to turn in more positively. The R32 was linear and loud and didn't feel any quicker. The thing hauls out of corners though. And did I mention the sound............don't think I'd need the windows.

Think I've decided, GTI probably does everything I want it to do and is just such a perfect package all round, and returns 8-9l/100, so doing my bit for the environment......ahh......who am I kidding.

Now 5 door or 3 door......aarrhhh.........3 door looks a little stumpy.

Can't wait, they are such strong performers.

Hi Gumby,
The GTI at Glen Wav probably felt better as it had been run in a fair bit (was it the black GTI??). If u were the first to test the R32 it probably hasn't had the chance to stretch it legs yet... just some food for thought ;)

GoLfMan
19-02-2007, 07:56 AM
i'd go for the R32..... i dont envy your possi mate :D

Dr Spine
19-02-2007, 09:13 AM
i'd go for the R32..... i dont envy your possi mate :D

I can't feel too sorry for any man who's choices are either a GTI or R32. Excellent cars both. It would be a little like choosing between this supermodel or that....each one would thrill the pants off you!

Which one puts the bigger smile on your face? I often wish my local store was further away (sometimes I take the long way) from my home. I just love everything about my GTI so much. The acceleration and sweet turbo whine just put a grin on my face every time. The thrill just doesn't get old!

blue_r32
19-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Just to be different, I'll say go the R32.

When I picked mine up, I noticed immediately that it was tight as all hell compared to the demo I drove (which had about 2000 k's) but after 750 k's in mine the engine is now starting to free up a lot more. I read somewhere a while ago that the narrow angle V6's can take a while to run in.

If the GTI had 4Motion, I would have looked at that, as I was set on an all paw car this time around, but probably would have bought the '32 anyway!

Just my $17.95 worth ....

Lima
19-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I'd choose the Golf. j:

Good luck, and welcome to the site. :cool:

Cheers Liam

Oneofthegreats
19-02-2007, 06:03 PM
DECISIONS DECISIONS. Both cars are absloute crackerin their own right. Try and drive both back to back and choose the one which gives you the biggest grin from ear to ear. You can't go wrong either way.
P.S chose the 3dr in the GTI!

Cheers,
Jared

phaeton
20-02-2007, 07:17 AM
After watching Top Gear last night I've changed my mind :D

Pick the R32 and be different ;)

VWGTi
20-02-2007, 07:33 AM

That was a pretty damn good episode wasn't it?!? How good does the v6 sound!!

No regrets on my GTI tho!! ;)

Lima
20-02-2007, 09:39 AM

Haha, yeah, it was a good piece wasn't it. :cool:

phaeton
21-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Yep a great piece ;) and just as good as the "GTI will Save the World" piece :D

Gumby
24-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, you guys are right, I can't see that I could be at all dissapointed in either decision on one of these, had I put a deposit on the MPS3......different story possibly.

VWGTI - The two cars i drove at Glen Waverley were as old as Britney's latest hair do. It was a new manual R32 which no-one had driven and a red manual GTI from the yard which also was unregistered and undriven. So I'd assume they were both tightish. Again, the GTI felt a little more chuckable and went just about as hard with less cabin noise (not that the R32's cabin noise is a bad noise, could get tiring though). I've decided to leave it on a Red manual and should pick it up end of March.. Thanks again for the feedback.

BTW, anyone else here test the 3 MPS, took one for a drive to consider and man this thing flies...... It actually felt enormously faster than both the GTI and R32.....that said, straight line speed is not everything to me. It seemed to suffer from considerable torque steer and turbo lag (although I've read different, felt like I was back in the GTR....well wasn't that quick) I think it would be quite a handfull blasting from corner to corner with the tugging I felt at the wheel. Interior was a little tacky for mine feeling nothing like the quality of the VDubs. The rolling accelleration was legendary though, third gear especially where it didn't seem to have the torque restricted was ballistic. But as an all round package, didn't quite fit the bill, looked like a regular Maz 3, seats not as good, interior not as good, the glovebox for example felt like the item in our Clio Sport which I swear was made of a plastic veneer, and the delivery when not going straight ahead is a handfull. The difference though was that for the same money I would have got one with Roof, leather, Xenons, upgraded stereo.

But the GTI looks the biz, goes hard enough and feels like it shoulda cost another $10K..

Decision made.

VWGTi
24-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Decision made.

Congratulations Gumby!
It's a decision you would not regret!
Yeh I had a similar experience with the MPS3 - it goes - but just doesn't have the refinement of the GTI - and certainly the torque steer could get a little untidy through a bend on a wet day!

Well done mate!