PDA

View Full Version : The Birth.............

backdoc
22-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Just found out my Octy RS is being born on Fri 11th December.

That makes her a Sagittarius (The Archer). Rather fitting I thought when I looked up the description of Sagittarius and I read the following:

Life Pursuit: To live the good life. Read: a damn good car for the money.

Vibration: Overly expressive - frequent burnouts. Read: frequent burnouts!

Sagittarian's Secret Desire: To make a difference in the world. Read: enlighten the world as to the many admirable qualities of the Czech brand.

Now the only bummer is the car is being made 6 weeks after I ordered it which means that it is highly unlikely to make a boat before Xmas = delivery late Feb at best and could push into March. That is the best part of a 6 month wait. Just keep this in mind if you are holding out to order one.

Oh, and another bit of advice, don't sell both your cars before you order your new one. Looks like my bicycle is going to get a hell of a workout, and the wife is not happy!

gregozedobe
22-11-2009, 09:06 AM
Congrats on your new vRS, I'm sure you'll love it. I am deeply impressed with mine.

You need to 'fess up the details (engine/gbox/body type, colour, options, planned mods etc) to keep all the curious satisfied (at least at this stage they can't bug you for pics).

Have you considered buying a cheap POS with 6 months rego for a runaround to keep you going until your Saggitarian green arrow (obscure reference to Skoda badge) arrives ?

I tend to go the other way and keep my old vehicles for months after their replacement arrives as I am too slack to clean them up properly and sell them off. Tends to clutter the yard up a bit and eventually the missus cracks about the excessive "dead money" (rego and insurance).

backdoc
22-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Congrats on your new vRS, I'm sure you'll love it. I am deeply impressed with mine.

You need to 'fess up the details (engine/gbox/body type, colour, options, planned mods etc) to keep all the curious satisfied (at least at this stage they can't bug you for pics).

Have you considered buying a cheap POS with 6 months rego for a runaround to keep you going until your Saggitarian green arrow (obscure reference to Skoda badge) arrives ?

I tend to go the other way and keep my old vehicles for months after their replacement arrives as I am too slack to clean them up properly and sell them off. Tends to clutter the yard up a bit and eventually the missus cracks about the excessive "dead money" (rego and insurance).

Well, I ordered the Candy White wagon, DSG, full leather, sunroof and tow bar. I will get dark tint done after delivery.

Considering my options regarding aftermarket or OEM sat nav & bluetooth. There seems to be some great aftermarket stuff but doesn't currently look like any of it will fit like OEM for the FL Octy. I am sure by the new year something will arrive.

A friend of mine has the Passat with an aftermarket SatNav and it looks perfect and works very well with none of the battery drain issues I've seen on the forums for some VW owners.

I don't think I will touch it otherwise. It's interesting that the new GTI with the same engine will have 155kw so not sure if there could be a subtle software tweak; but really for 8kw would you notice it day to day? Don't like the idea of mucking around with chips etc. If I wanted something fast fast I would've bought a RS6 Avant.........if I had $250,000.

gregozedobe
22-11-2009, 07:18 PM
If I wanted something fast fast I would've bought a RS6 Avant.........if I had $250,000.

Yes, in the vRS price range there really aren't any other wagons around with the same sort of performance, handling and room. I'm sure as more people become aware of Skodas they will eventually sell lots more of them :)

backdoc
22-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Yes, in the vRS price range there really aren't any other wagons around with the same sort of performance, handling and room. I'm sure as more people become aware of Skodas they will eventually sell lots more of them :)

I did have a MkV R32 and that was great. The exhaust note was beautiful....just so snorty. I will be seriously tempted by the R20 when it lobs in. Will be booking an early test drive for that one. For the moment though the RS will do just fine. It will be a great family car, just have to convince the wife to start the family bit.

I have to say that I think the RS is nicer in the cabin than the R32. A real nice place to be.

K1W1
23-11-2009, 10:37 PM
The wifes S3 has the 188kW engine and I can tell you that it's one hell of a lot of fun with that much in a small car but I wouldn't want to be pushing all that through the two front wheels only.

backdoc
24-11-2009, 06:46 AM
The wifes S3 has the 188kW engine and I can tell you that it's one hell of a lot of fun with that much in a small car but I wouldn't want to be pushing all that through the two front wheels only.

Good thing the R20 has 199kw driving through all 4 wheels - I guess with the haldex 4-wd thingy it only drives to the rear wheels when the front loses traction I think, which I would imagine would be fairly common with 199kw through the front wheels.