PDA

View Full Version : March/April/May GTI Orders - Assigned a build week yet?

ricksterrr
21-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Was told from my dealership that the car has been booked in for production in build week 6 so it's looking more likely that I'll be receiving delivery in late March/April.

For those that placed a custom spec order within the first week of the Aus launch, did you get a similar build week?

This wait is agonising.... :-(

Maverick
21-11-2009, 11:36 AM
At least it'll be a 2010 build!

It's the last few weeks of the wait that's the worse and the tracking it on the ship only adds to it.

niulf
21-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I haven't heard anything yet. Order was made around 2 weeks ago.

AdamD
21-11-2009, 12:50 PM
I ordered my GTI 5-door 3 weeks ago (the day of launch), but last I checked (about a week ago) they were still up to build week 52 of an '09 build, so the dealer hadn't locked in my order yet (I had explicitly requested a 2010 build date). I've been told to expect delivery around April.

backdoc
22-11-2009, 05:19 PM
At least it'll be a 2010 build!

It's the last few weeks of the wait that's the worse and the tracking it on the ship only adds to it.

Excuse my ignorance, but unless the car is complianced and registered in 2009, the car will be a 2010 Golf GTI, even if the build was November or December 2009. It's not like the car is going to change spec so is it just people being a bit pedantic? The cars valuation will be based of the compliance date in Australia so it will be a genuine 2010 car. No? :confused:

Corey_R
22-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but unless the car is complianced and registered in 2009, the car will be a 2010 Golf GTI, even if the build was November or December 2009. It's not like the car is going to change spec so is it just people being a bit pedantic? The cars valuation will be based of the compliance date in Australia so it will be a genuine 2010 car. No? :confused:

'MY' or 'Model Year' does not go on calendar year. I'm not sure but I believe that the first batch of MK6 GTI's are MY09 whereas the people who order the cars now, will get MY10 cars. I'm not actually sure if there is a differences between MY09 and MY10 GTI's, apart from the fact that Xenon lights are available on the MY10.

But yeah - it's not just people being pedantic - the model year affects the resale as much as the compliance year.

gregozedobe
22-11-2009, 07:08 PM
But yeah - it's not just people being pedantic - the model year affects the resale as much as the compliance year.

When looking at future s'hand values for Mk 6 Golfs (2009 build vs 2010 build cars) I'd go so far as saying the build year will be more important than either MY or compliance date. When dealers are valuing secondhand cars the build date is the important thing, much more so than the other two (and both will be MY2010 cars anyway).

Of course if you keep your vehicles for 10 years or more like I tend to it doesn't really matter, but if you change every year or two it is worth waiting a bit and make sure you get a 2010 build car (and specify that in your sales contract).

backdoc
22-11-2009, 07:38 PM
When looking at future s'hand values for Mk 6 Golfs (2009 build vs 2010 build cars) I'd go so far as saying the build year will be more important than either MY or compliance date. When dealers are valuing secondhand cars the build date is the important thing, much more so than the other two (and both will be MY2010 cars anyway).

Of course if you keep your vehicles for 10 years or more like I tend to it doesn't really matter, but if you change every year or two it is worth waiting a bit and make sure you get a 2010 build car (and specify that in your sales contract).

Well that is conflicting because I spoke to a local dealer and they said the compliance plate and model year (i.e. MY10, even though built late 09) was the determining factor and that private market people using the "build date" line were only trying to use that as a negotiating tool to get the price down.

Corey_R
22-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah - exactly. 'MY' determines the specs and features of the car. Sometimes there are significant updates like when the RNS510 came in etc. Compliance date is when it was released from the holding pen and is ready to be sent to a dealer or sold etc.

NickZ
23-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Well that is conflicting because I spoke to a local dealer and they said the compliance plate and model year (i.e. MY10, even though built late 09) was the determining factor and that private market people using the "build date" line were only trying to use that as a negotiating tool to get the price down.

Go to that same sales person when you trade in your car, and I will bet my left nut he will use the build date to value your car. I had a sales person, when he tried to sell me a car (in 2007), tell me first that having an 07 build was advantageous for resale values (to drive up the price in the negotiations). Then when he had an 06 build 07 compliance available, he changed his story saying that the build date is irrelevant!!!!!

Point is, unless there is a significant spec change in the MY model, the build and compliance date are just as important as the MY. But I would say it is only of real importance if you trade in your car every 2-3 years - after that, two many other variables will come into play such as kms, condition, etc.

pologti18t
23-11-2009, 08:23 AM
It's build date.... compliance date means nothing in the scheme of resale value.

Dave8878
23-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Just letting you know that our valuers will always go by the build date of the car. I also believe this to be true everywhere in Australia however as you say if you keep the car a long time it won't matter as much. One example of when you can get round this though is if the car isn't launched until the next year like the Golf VI - The forst cars were late 08 build weeks but since the car wasn't even launched until 2009 you could argue to the valuer that it is an 09 car - thats what I'll be doing anyway when customers start to trade them!

Corey_R
23-11-2009, 12:29 PM
That's why I thought it'd be MY and compliance dates ;)

Thanks for the info :)

mrpayne
23-11-2009, 02:33 PM
What David said rings true up here as well. Had a Mercedes A160 traded on a Golf 77TDI, and it was 09/03 build, and 07/04 compliance. When the valuer calls around for opinions they go by the build date.

Mind you if you keep a car for any reasonable amount of time, the $ difference will be negligible anyway.

Hail
23-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm sure guys getting their GTIs next year will have an advantage when it comes to resale (actual build date i.e mines August 2009)

My GTI is referred to as 'MY10' on every piece of documentation received/generated (rego, insurance, contract, receipt/invoice etc).

Congrats to all the guys on purchasing ur awesome new GTI's ready for 2010... the wait is well worth it!

gregozedobe
23-11-2009, 09:06 PM
.....and I will bet my left nut he will use the build date to value your car.

I think your "lefticle" is safe (and the dealers on here agree with me) :banana:

Mk6 GTI
01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

You are 100% correct! It does not matter at all when its built if its arrives here in 2010 its a compliance 2010 model and will be sold on that basis. I know this because I sold my Mk4 golf as a 2004 model but it was a 2003 build- 2004 compliance car.

gregozedobe
01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
You are 100% correct! It does not matter at all when its built if its arrives here in 2010 its a compliance 2010 model and will be sold on that basis. I know this because I sold my Mk4 golf as a 2004 model but it was a 2003 build- 2004 compliance car.

Sorry, not so :( Professional valuations on secondhand cars are based on the BUILD DATE, not the MY or the compliance date (please read what one of our resident dealers said earlier on the subject, it is quite clear).

When the valuer calls around for opinions they go by the build date.