PDA

View Full Version : 3Door GTI

geralis32
20-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey just wondering, are there any 3doors in australia? or melbourne preferably, i really am interested in look at one in the flesh

Hail
20-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Are there any currently? or where they released.

Dont know about currently, but I'm sure there is. Where they released, yes check mine out Four Days in Heaven (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=36905&page=4)

Lima
20-11-2009, 03:06 PM
They look better.

/thread

:banana:

mattyf83
20-11-2009, 03:35 PM
They look better.

/thread

Agreed

Unfortunatley i picked function over form.

EndlessMKI
20-11-2009, 03:53 PM
They look better.

/thread

Love the avatar Liam.

dave_r
20-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Hey just wondering, are there any 3doors in australia? or melbourne preferably, i really am interested in look at one in the flesh

I'm looking for one as well but haven't had a chance to ring around dealers.

Where have you placed the order for your Golf R? How do they work out the price? Do you just pay RRP and get first shipment or what?

Corey_R
20-11-2009, 05:50 PM
They would work out an estimated price based off the R32 and options on the MK6. You can then set conditions etc

G-rig
20-11-2009, 06:07 PM
They look better.

/thread

But not much better and more impractical ;). I think it would be easier to sell a 5dr too.

Can't say i've seen any 3dr mk6 around.

Driven Threads
20-11-2009, 06:35 PM
There were two 3 doors at DOVW... (one was VWA i think) so there are atleast some here.

Lima
20-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I think most of the 3drs here are press or VW Aus cars. They will be sold eventually, of course, but not sure how many are up for grabs right now.

chrisgti
20-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Agreed

Unfortunatley i picked function over form.

x3

Much much better and not really just as practical ;) 3 doors are more unique and sportier looking too.

Can't say i've seen any 3dr mk6 around.

geralis32
20-11-2009, 10:50 PM
i saw one when i went to the vw meet for the kombi last saturday, and it has really changed my mind on them, nice to drive and really considering trading my R for one but still dont know so wanted to see one

WABIT
21-11-2009, 12:27 AM
i was driving the red 3 door all weekend of DOVW, looks heaps better than 4 door IMO

dom

MaccaTSI
02-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Just saw a 3dr CW at Bill Buckle. Looked freakin sweet!

chris.
02-12-2009, 06:16 PM
i was driving the red 3 door all weekend of DOVW, looks heaps better than 4 door IMO

dom

im pritty shore i got your one up here ?

we got delivered a whole bunch from down south, the one that i did being a 3 door red gti

i invited maca are for a looksy too

such a sexy car there is no way i would settle on a 5 door

practical < sex

ill throw up a few pic's of it later when i get on my computer :thumb:

Hail
02-12-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/11/53a9c241df-1.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

G-rig
02-12-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I got your one up here ?

we got delivered a whole bunch from down south, the one that i did being a 3 door red gti

i invited maca are for a looksy too

such a sexy car there is no way i would settle on a 3 door

practical < sex

Fixed it for you.. (as well as year 5 level spelling)

ben
02-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I understand the 5 doors being more practical in terms of getting into the backseat compared to the 3 door, but have you ever sat in the back of a 3dr vs a 5dr? The 3drs seem to have a lot more room when seated in the back seat....

So with a 3dr you get a better looking car, more leg room in the back.... seems pretty practical to me! :biggthumpup: (and its not like your going to be the one getting in and out of the back either)

MurphyTheElf
02-12-2009, 11:26 PM
I understand the 5 doors being more practical in terms of getting into the backseat compared to the 3 door, but have you ever sat in the back of a 3dr vs a 5dr? The 3drs seem to have a lot more room when seated in the back seat....

So with a 3dr you get a better looking car, more leg room in the back.... seems pretty practical to me! :biggthumpup: (and its not like your going to be the one getting in and out of the back either)

The difference in appearance is negligable and the seat layout is identical. The reason I bought a new car was that I'd had enough of a 3 door car. Front seat passengers need to get out before the rear seats can be occupied. Rear passengers trip over the seatbelts and fall on their faces. For me, it's no contest - why cripple yourself for absolutely no reason?

MaccaTSI
03-12-2009, 05:39 AM
We got a 4dr car to cover ourselves for the possibility of us having kids in the near future and avoiding having to manouvre baby seats etc

It's the first 4 door car I've had in a long time and I'm really liking that I can just pull up to a friend's house and they jump in the back when I pick them up etc, no need for my wife in the front passenger seat to get out let them in

G-rig
03-12-2009, 07:37 AM
3 door's/coupe's look good but maybe i've just grown out of them and would rather have 2 seats if i got a 3 door. They do look a bit more like civics too.

Also easier to load a mountain bike in the back with a 5dr.

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
The difference in appearance is negligable and the seat layout is identical. The reason I bought a new car was that I'd had enough of a 3 door car. Front seat passengers need to get out before the rear seats can be occupied. Rear passengers trip over the seatbelts and fall on their faces. For me, it's no contest - why cripple yourself for absolutely no reason?

I don't think the appearance is negligable at all. If it were, you wouldn't be able to spot the difference between a 3 door and 5 door from a few hundred metres away.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/vwmk6gti-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/09/VWMk6GTI02low-1.jpg

There also IS more width in the rear of the 3dr. It's only about 3cm (according to VW specs) at the hips, but I know what ben is talking about, because there is no door, it feels wider as there is no handle or joins etc.
The front doors are also much longer on the 3dr, which to me makes the front seem much more spacious. After going from my 3dr into my friends 5dr, I feel really 'cramped'. Obviously the space is physically the same, it just feels different because of the positioning of the B-Pillar.

As for friends falling on their faces. I think you need to upgrade to more coordinated friends! ;)

:)

G-rig
03-12-2009, 08:18 AM
The good thing about the Golf's is that the 5dr looks just as good!

After going from my 3dr into my friends 5dr, I feel really 'cramped'. Obviously the space is physically the same, it just feels different because of the positioning of the B-Pillar.

Not sure about the physical dimensions (although should be the same interior wise) but i'd feel cramped if i didn't have a door or window that opens, at least mentally.

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 09:54 AM
According to the VW specs, the rear occupants of the car have more width in the 3rd model. There is no change for the front. It's just that when you're in the drivers seat of the 3dr, there is nothing obscuring your perhipheral vision. Whereas, in the 5dr you have a B Pillar. The arm rest and door trim is also much longer in the 3dr, giving the appearance of more space.

As for the your comment about not having a window and door... yeah, it's a bit strange if you're sitting in the rear of a 3dr model and are not used to it, but I've been around 2/3 dr cars all my life so it doesn't phase me... plus I'm rarely in the back!

G-rig
03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah, both options are just as 'good' depends what you want. A bit like 6mt vs DSG.

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah, but the 6mt vs DSG look the same! A 5dr GTI looks too much like a family hatch instead of the sporty little pocket rocket it's supposed to be! :D

G-rig
03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
They aren't sleek sports cars anyway so may as well have some more functionality.

I wouldn't mind a Rocco though.

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Not sleek, but still sporty, hence the 3dr. If you need more functionality, or more space for the family, the Audi A3 Sportsback is the way to go! You can have the same engine and features but the more practicality/functionality/space to boot! :D

But yeah... as has been stated numerous times before, when it comes to appearances, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I'd never buy a 5dr GTI though :D

G-rig
03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
My point was that the 5dr Golf look lore sporty than a 5dr A3/S3 which doesn't look nearly as good as the 3dr.

Yea everyone likes the look of different things so no point arguing about it all day..

MurphyTheElf
03-12-2009, 12:40 PM
As for friends falling on their faces. I think you need to upgrade to more coordinated friends! ;)

:)

My missus is as clumsy as a blind irishman, but I wouldn't change her for the world.

The faceplants normally occur after nights out on the p1ss. Try picking up and dropping off a couple of drunks in a 3 door - it's a bloody nightmare. Even if they don't injure themselves, they invariably end up doing something to the car. And trust me, having rear windows in this case is godsend.

Goon
03-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Could just delete the rear door handles on a 5dr and you're all set!

5dr with almost the looks of a 2 door.. :confused: :cool:

G-rig
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
^Ed-Zachary..

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
The faceplants normally occur after nights out on the p1ss. Try picking up and dropping off a couple of drunks in a 3 door - it's a bloody nightmare. Even if they don't injure themselves, they invariably end up doing something to the car. And trust me, having rear windows in this case is godsend.

hehehe, yeah, I've been there! Many times before! lol

Tim
03-12-2009, 03:06 PM
thats the best excuse to buy a 3 door car ever. You will never have to be designated driver again!

MurphyTheElf
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
thats the best excuse to buy a 3 door car ever. You will never have to be designated driver again!

I used to have a roadster. That excuse still didn't work. I have no idea how many times I drove home two people in the passenger seat. :rolleyes:

G-rig
03-12-2009, 05:35 PM
i think you'd getting annoyed at people scuffing up your car trying to get into the back.

mattyf83
03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
:)I ordered a 5 door but Lets face it thought 3 doors look better.

Not practical for me, and after having a polo gti for 3 years im really looking forward to the 5 doors, but if i was choosing purely on looks 3 door FTW.

If you have no need for the extra doors good on you :)

G-rig
05-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I saw a 5dr BMW 335i today. That's one car that definitely looks better in the 3dr, which is what i would order. Looks a lot sleeker.