PDA

View Full Version : 90 TSI Fog lights

oileoi
19-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Guys I received a called from dealer my today to advised that my car would be landing on the 6 of December, however I though I had order the car with fog lights and apparently I DIDN'T :(

Does anyone knows if the fog lights can be fitted afterwards?

team_v
19-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Foglights can be retrofitted from memory.

Make sure you didn't get charged for them when you pay for it.
Also make sure you don't use them when they aren't needed as they are cracking down on miss-use now.

oileoi
19-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Does anyone knows how much would it be? as they quoted me $400 if I have had order them with car. Can these be done at the dealer or would it be an aftermarket kit?

cme2c
20-11-2009, 08:07 AM
IIRC the salesman toid me they would be something like $2000 if they were installed later, as the mechanics didn't like installing them. This was after we had ordered them at $400 ex factory on our 118TSI. So I reckon it would vary. If it's on your order, stick to your guns at $400.

pinzvidz
20-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Also make sure you don't use them when they aren't needed as they are cracking down on miss-use now.

In QLD at least. :)

oileoi
20-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Pity they were not included in the car order :brutal: oh well I guess i'll just have to live with out them for now. $2K for fog lights seem way to much for me.

pologti18t
20-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Foglights are a waste of time/money.

Maverick
20-11-2009, 09:27 AM
In QLD at least. :)

They're illegal to use except under certain circumstances in every state (also every developed country).

philthy
20-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Foglights are a waste of time/money.

Haha, agreed.

I have not once encountered fog that required me to use them (mind you I live in QLD, maybe tassie or vic would be different)

They are great for making you look like a douche and annoying oncoming traffic though.

pologti18t
20-11-2009, 10:25 AM
Not to mention the weight they add to the car AND the cost if you ever break a lense etc.

oileoi
20-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I just found out that OEM PLUS have them http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_108_111&products_id=854 I'm wondering how hard would it be installed. I had no idea it was illegal to drive with fog lights on in Victoria.

I guess there's no much point in getting them as there's barely any fog in Melbourne.

cme2c
20-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Sour grapes, the lot of you. oileoi, I guess it's worth asking the dealer, before you hand over the cheque:rolleyes:

I have certainly found it foggy enough to use them in Sydney a few times a year. They can also be handy in heavy rain, the condition for use is "reduced visibility" which is not just fog. The static cornering function is good too, makes it much easier to see the kerb.

Besides, without foglights, how are you going to pick the d_ckheads?

jayjay
20-11-2009, 11:16 AM
i think the primary issue with the retrofitment of foglights is that they are automatically adjusting at low speeds through corners. there has to be some mechatronic unit that controls this that would have to come with the aftermarket kit, not to mention the wiring loom needed to support it as well.. just my thoughts.

originally i wanted fog lights on the car, and they're pretty good value, but it seems a bit too much mucking around aftermarket. unless you dont want the auto directional adjustment.

philthy
20-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Sour grapes, the lot of you. oileoi, I guess it's worth asking the dealer, before you hand over the cheque:rolleyes:

I have certainly found it foggy enough to use them in Sydney a few times a year. They can also be handy in heavy rain, the condition for use is "reduced visibility" which is not just fog. The static cornering function is good too, makes it much easier to see the kerb.

Besides, without foglights, how are you going to pick the d_ckheads?

Haha, we both have foglights.

Just stirring. :)

pinzvidz
20-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I have not once encountered fog that required me to use them (mind you I live in QLD, maybe tassie or vic would be different)

Xenons just blast straight through fog (most of the time) :banana: , so I've never really ever used our fog lamps.

They are great for making you look like a douche and annoying oncoming traffic though.

Bogan VT Commodore ute with Chev badge dumbarses definitely fall into that category.:rifle:

cme2c
20-11-2009, 03:40 PM
i think the primary issue with the retrofitment of foglights is that they are automatically adjusting at low speeds through corners. there has to be some mechatronic unit that controls this that would have to come with the aftermarket kit, not to mention the wiring loom needed to support it as well.. just my thoughts.

originally i wanted fog lights on the car, and they're pretty good value, but it seems a bit too much mucking around aftermarket. unless you dont want the auto directional adjustment.

The lights themselves don't move, just the foglight on the appropriate side comes on when you indicate or turn the wheel in that direction more than a small amount , eg, roundabouts. Seems to me that it should be a setting in VAGCOM if the lights are installed.

cme2c
20-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Bogan VT Commodore ute with Chev badge dumbarses definitely fall into that category.:rifle:

Near where I live there is a lime green Commodore SS sedan that has Chevy badges . It also has hidden blue and red lights, cameras and a siren. A trap for young players.

mtaoz3
20-11-2009, 05:06 PM
I have had fog lights in all my cars for years, and never use them. They are generally dull and add nothing to the road ahead, even in heavy fog. They are really L.A.M.P. lights (Look At Me Please!).
HOWEVER, the Golf VI Sport Pack fog lights come on at one side at low speeds when the steering is turned and/or the indicator is on. I figured it was a gimmick, until one night recently I was turning into my driveway when the light came on and showed up a dude in dark clothes about to walk across my driveway. Reckon I might have clobbered him had it not been for the side light function. Gave me a fright that I hadn't seen him, but with oncoming headlights and no street lights, he was invisible.
So, from that point of view they may well be worth it. Kufatek do an aftermarket wiring loom for the factory fog lights so that might be worth checking out. Don't know whether it has the turning function though.
Cheers

geojack555
20-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I was also thinking of fitting one, but 2k is insane for fog lights! It seems like once we go for retrofit it costs a fortune! like I got a quote for my RNS 510 fitting from VW dealer for 660 bucks (30-45 min installation)and funny thing is despite paying 660, as I had got it via other sources, they cant provide warranty on the fitting!

Mutley251
20-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Use the cash on a MDI and buy a new iPod ... you will get way more use from the MDI!!

bwen
20-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Save the cash for a tune and buy a new exhaust... you will get way more fun from the tune!!!

Fixed for ya :P

guliver_twist
21-11-2009, 12:44 PM
spend 2k on the sports pack and get fogs, bigger wheels, sports suspension and much better seats :) and the cornering lights function is sweet.

oileoi
23-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh well guys I think I'll just have to suck up and live with out them. My car would arrive in 4 weeks approx.