PDA

View Full Version : 4WD capability of Skoda Octavia Scout

shayne
18-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi there,

I am currently considering purchasing the Octavia Scout (comparing against the Outback) and I am wondering does anyone have any experience with the 4WD capabilities of this car.

I have been reading the reviews and getting confused about what it can and cant do.

I intend to use it for going to the snow, camping (ie, fire trails), and the beach.

All responses appreciated.

Thanks

vinderliker
18-11-2009, 11:38 AM
It depends how rough the fire trails are, and the ground clearance ability. Snow should be fine, along with snow chains if they can be fitted. As for the beach you need the ability to lower the tyre pressures. If I were you I would get something a bit more rugged. I medium 4WD.
have a look at Overlander magazine or 4WD magazine and get some advice form a local 4WD club or store.

shayne
18-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I actually wanted to avoid a genuine 4WD - due to size, fuel economy etc, hence looking at SUV crossovers.

K1W1
18-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I'd be quite happy to buy a Scout for exactly the purposes that you intend to use it for, in fact I was going to until I decided that after owning soft roaders for nearly 20 years I wanted a change.
You are obviously aware that the Scout's off road capabilities are limited compared to say a Landcruiser so as long as you stay within the capabilities of the vehicle and more importantly your own driving ability and that you always have another vehicle with you if you do go off the beaten track then you will be surprised I'm sure by just where you can actually go albeit slowly and carefully with this style of vehicle.
You may want to consider going on a 4WD driving course when you get delivery to learn just what you and the vehicle are capable of in a safe environment. A quick Google will throw up plenty of suitable courses near most major metro areas.

gregozedobe
18-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Wot they said ^ (some good advice there)

The long rear overhang of the Octy body may prove a hindrance on rougher fire trails. It all depends on how serious you want to get.

onyertod
19-11-2009, 08:51 AM
From what I have seen the Australian snow country is owned by Subaru.
Having said that I am sure the Scout would be a great car in the snow.

Although I love my Octavia wagon, I really wanted a Scout - and if they sold with a DSG box I would probably have bought one.

But for sand and beaches and places like e.g Fraser Island I would want something with less overhang and a bit more ground clearance.

If you can hang out till next year the Skoda Yeti (Currently a contender for European car of the year) should be in OZ.
I had a good look at one in the UK recently and I think it would be ideal for your needs.

woofy
19-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Have a Scout as a courtesy car, and 3 years ago I had an Outback. The scout craps all over the outback in everyway, I've got the diesel, and it feels so light and responsive, the outback felt like I was driving around with 5 tonne of lead in the car. Its turning circle was awful as well, (noticed that Foresters have the same issue), but no probs in the Scout. I'm seriously thinking of getting one next time.

shayne
20-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for all of the useful replies. I appreciate your responses.

Given that there are so few of the Scouts in Australia it doesn't seem that anyone actually has any experience with one? Without discounting anyone's opinion, does anyone actually own one or know someone who does?

shayne
20-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Woofy,

Have you/did you have many off-road experiences with the Scout or would that have been pushing it as it was a courtesy car?

woofy
20-11-2009, 03:02 PM
No off road experiences with it, just drove it around town. Had the Outback for ages, crappest car I have ever had the displeasure of driving. They are like chalk and cheese though the Skoda was much better. In all honesty I have seen so many Subaru cars stuck in sand on beaches it's not funny. I think for ice/snow roads the Scout would be fine, but anything offroad like firetrails, 4wd only places and especially the beach I'd be looking at something with a lot more clearance.

AWD is not the same as off road 4WD, unless it has a low range gear box, it's just asking for trouble.

IBN
26-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I'm very happy with my Scout. Dirt roads hold no problems. Finish on the alloys has been dodgy with the finish faking off one after a longer run on dirt roads. Seems reasonably well protected underneath, but there is a lot of plastic there and how long it will last will be interesting. As always, common sense will be the deciding factor. There is no way the car will do what a full blown 4x4 will, so travel accordingly.
The car performed well over Mt Hotham in a blizzard without chains, but deep snow has been a problem. Off bitumen, the biggest drawback is the tyres - they're normal road tyres. When it comes to replacement I'll look for something more aggressive, but availability might be a problem due to the size as there doesn't seem to be much available as compared to what's out there for Subaru Outbacks.
Cheers,
Ivars