PDA

View Full Version : Calder GTI track day - FUN

windmagnet
17-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Spent a couple of brilliant hours at Calder for the GTI track day today.

No skid pan so they had wet up a corner for us using a water truck.

Procedure was drive up to a start line just before corner, stop, then flatten it and try to keep it flat all the way around the corner.

First time did it in a Mk 5 and amazing how quickly the understeer started and how severe it was. Then had 3 shots in a Mk 6. Huge difference and was actually getting a bit of oversteer happening. Great way to highlight one of the significant performance differences between Mk5 and Mk6.

Then over to shortened Calder circuit for some laps in the car. Got the speedo up around 170 at the end of the straight. Brakes were sensational and control through corners was even better than I expected.

Unlike some drive days, faster drivers were allowed to overtake the more cautious and so we were able to go hard for all the laps. Was over way too soon.

Lastly we piled into the car for a seriously fast lap. These guys demonstrated how lame the guest were.

The professional drivers with us were all top level drivers. I had James Brock for the understeer exercise and he was excellent. Other drivers included Scott Pye and Luke Youlden.

I am pretty keen to do a track day in my own car after this. Despite a lot of people bagging the GTI as a track car I thought it went really well. Don't have much to compare it against as I have only ever driven Formula Ford and gocarts on a track before.

STV4SYT
17-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, was an awesome day, i was in the last session at 2.15. didnt have any serious slow drivers which was good.

at the end they gave me a manual one to fang around the carpark as well so i could see how they go in comparison, think ill prob go DSG again.

MurphyTheElf
17-11-2009, 07:09 PM
My word, that all sounds like a lot of fun. I've only ever driven go-karts twice, and I had a work function at the AHG driving centre near the international airport several years ago. It was just driving MR2's as fast as you can around witches hat courses, but my times gave the track guys a run for their money. Heaps of fun, but $$$.

CatonaPC©
18-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Just got back from my session and it was awesome. The GTI6 was impressive on the skid pan, but the 5 wasn't too far behind.

The opportunity for a few laps around the track was fantastic.

Thanks to all who helped me out (they know who they are); I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

A great day.

Driven Threads
18-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Very jeolous guys...I'm loving the look of the mk6 GTI..any pics or were cameras forbidden.

CatonaPC©
18-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Very jeolous guys...I'm loving the look of the mk6 GTI..any pics or were cameras forbidden.

I have pics, but sorry I can't upload them.

Dragonzdk
19-11-2009, 08:13 AM
As James Brock said yesterday ... when you are going for a spirited drive in a FWD car the XDL will make it a bit more enjoyable ! The best part was the harder you accelerate through the corner the better it works so long as you don't oversteer and let it work. Thumbs up from me.

Cockpit of the new 6 was fantastic as well

:banana:

CatonaPC©
19-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I was impressed how you could throw the car around the esses but it still wouldn't unsettle it.

Lima
19-11-2009, 02:26 PM
I have pics, but sorry I can't upload them.

Yes you can: http://www.photobucket.com

Plus plenty of others. :banana:

Lima
19-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Pics and review from Sydney are HERE (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/11/02/gti-advanced-driving-academy-eastern-creek.html), if that helps.

CatonaPC©
19-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Love those black 18" wheels. Solve my brake dust problem, they would.