PDA

View Full Version : New, curious & lost!

smokey...xr6!
17-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi All!

I'm new to the golf world & very interested as my gf's sister just got a 1994 import golf model. Its 2lt auto, alloys, electric windows & sunroof, leather interior...etc, etc.

The car needs a lil attention & being abit of a hands on car buff I thought I'd offer to fix the problems.

first of all one of the front blinker lenses are missing...where can i get a cheap one from?

2. The sunroof only seems to pull from one side

3. how does the petrol cap open?

4. steering is heavy to one side

5. annoying rattles & squeeks

6. aerial snapped?

7. ...alot of switches on the dash we have no idea what they do!

I'd like to source a owners manual from somewhere. Oh and what mk is it?

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Des.

KI11Z
17-02-2007, 09:49 AM
YOU DRIVE A XR6!! jeeez . . . . .

one of the front blinker lenses are missing - The long dummy lense or the actuall indictor lense?

2. The sunroof only seems to pull from one side - im not sure as ive never looked at a sunroof on a dub

3. how does the petrol cap open? HAHA, u'll hit urself! just open it . . . make sure the car is unlocked though . . .

4. steering is heavy to one side - Get a wheel allignment?!

5. annoying rattles & squeeks - How many k's has it dun?!

6. aerial snapped? where has it snapped? or is it just missing as they jus screw into the base . . .

7. ...alot of switches on the dash we have no idea what they do! - Have a play . . .

8. Oh and what mk is it? - It's a MK3 . . .

AND BTW . . . SELL YOUR FORD! AND GET DUBBIN! :D U WONT REGRET IT!

phaeton
17-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Welcome Smokey XR6 :D

DubSteve
17-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Welcome Smokey...

Did you not check certain things on the car before you bought it?

Are you sure its a import?

Go get the car checked.

Golf Loon
17-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Where are you smokey? update your location and it makes it esier to help you.

Its a MK3, I`d be suprised if it was personally imported

h100vw
17-02-2007, 11:02 AM
Sunroof cable and runners can be a problem. Usually they will tilt on one side only. Or open and only close on one side.

Fixing this isn't bad, just longwinded as you have to drop teh sunroof cassette out of the roof. Which means removing the headlining first.

I have done a couple and it takes between 2 and 3 hours usually.

Gavin

smokey...xr6!
21-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey,

Yeh well its got 170000 so a few k's but for 6 grand what could you expect. It has a personal import plate from 2001 I think.

I just got a set of front & side indicators for 40 bucks which is good. Put I new headunit & amp on the wkend too.

Still have to have a closer look at the sunroof & these annoying queeks tho!

Hey & by the way, I like these VW golfs i& I would own one myself if i had to have a small car, but I love my Xr6 n for everything else its a ford for me sosorry guys :P

gpk_gti
21-02-2007, 10:12 PM
hey smokey_xr6,nice to have you here!! but I think KI11Z is going to come down to bathurst and change your mind!!hehehe.enjoy your stay,,,
where was your car imported from?? maybe hongkong??does it say on the plate? if its making so many rattles,id say the k's on the clock dont match its real k's.or its hard a rally life?:confused:

Golf Loon
22-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Maybe we should have a pic, it could be an incorrectly badged / dated Mk2??
I just have a suspecion based on the squeaks and the fact that I have never seen a personally imported Mk3.

If you cant give us a pic, post the VIN number.

smokey...xr6!
25-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey,

Haha no doubt Vdubs are good just not as gfood as a ford :p

Yeah next time i go up il get some pics for u guys. What are there mk3's supposed to idle at? just vibrates a fair bit while stationary in gear (auto).

Golf Loon
25-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I cant think of anything good to say about Fords and I have had a few, but thats another issue.

Does the car have round or rectangular front headlights?

Vibration at idle could be engine mounts.