PDA

View Full Version : 90TSI v 77TDI

DGR
17-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new small hatch and so far the Golf is winning. Test drove a 90TSI and loved it - couldn't believe the quality over other brands I'd tried on the same day. Unfortunately I'm not in the market for a GTI like most recent posters in this forum :-( There was a gorgeous red one sat in the dealership though.....

The engine in the 90TSI was sweet (though I notice most people here seem to discuss the 118TSI). Hopefully there are some other value buyers out there just like me :) And I loved the manual gearbox - v smooth.

Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking that 90TSI + Comfort Package + MDI is the way to go. But should I consider the 77TDI? This would retail at about the same price as the above but without any extras - not sure it makes sense as the fuel economy is pretty close. I'm mostly city driving in & out of Perth.

Thoughts?

JasonP
17-11-2009, 08:26 AM
I found the 77TDI a tad underpowered, so I went with the 103TDI.

I would take the 90TSI in the specs you suggest over the 77TDI wthout options.
The Comfort Pack would be worth the extras IMO.

That said, if you could stretch to the 118TSI manual, the overall equipment level is better again, & you'd get the pick of the bunch engine-wise (excluding the GTI).

I ended up with both a 118TSI, & a 103TDI.

I love them both for differnt reasons.

Sharkie
17-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Too be honest forget about both the 90TSI and the 77TDI .... I recently helped my boss pick a runaround ... he was set on the 90TSI DSG + Comfortpack ...

After driving it he was happy .... the big thing though was a 118TSI DSG (with comfort pack standard) was only $2K more driveaway .... so he went for that instead.

for only $2K I'd recommend you go for the 118. Financing that extra $2K will cost you less than $30 a month extra ..... well worth it IMO.

soogs
17-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Wecome to the forum DGR. Notice you have been lurking in the Mazda forum. Isn't it interesting that Mazda owners are Golf wannabes, despite VW's reputation of unreliabilty.

tuan0011
17-11-2009, 10:57 AM
JasonP, do you have pics of your silver leaf? Im just interested in seeing what it looks like.

DGR
17-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Too be honest forget about both the 90TSI and the 77TDI .... I recently helped my boss pick a runaround ... he was set on the 90TSI DSG + Comfortpack ...

After driving it he was happy .... the big thing though was a 118TSI DSG (with comfort pack standard) was only $2K more driveaway .... so he went for that instead.

for only $2K I'd recommend you go for the 118. Financing that extra $2K will cost you less than $30 a month extra ..... well worth it IMO.

You're not wrong although I'm trying not to get upsold to a car I don't really need. I've not driven the 118TSI and perhaps I shouldn't.... might get interested and then end up with a GTI! Good point on the finance front. That's less than Foxtel! When I go back to the dealership with the wife on Saturday I'll sit in one and think it over.

Wecome to the forum DGR. Notice you have been lurking in the Mazda forum. Isn't it interesting that Mazda owners are Golf wannabes, despite VW's reputation of unreliabilty.

Good spot :)

I've tested the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus and of course VW Golf, but am only lurking in the two forums because the Mazda 3 and Golf are clear favourites.

My last car in the UK was an MX-5, but I've never had a VW before. I wonder if I am a wannabe? I didn't mention the Mazda 3 earlier because I didn't want to generate any 'smiley face' comments......

VW does look great in white though which saves me a bit of cash.

soogs
17-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I've tested the Mazda 3, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus and of course VW Golf, but am only lurking in the two forums because the Mazda 3 and Golf are clear favourites.

My last car in the UK was an MX-5, but I've never had a VW before. I wonder if I am a wannabe? I didn't mention the Mazda 3 earlier because I didn't want to generate any 'smiley face' comments......

Funny I'm a Golf wannabe myself. Am driving a 06 Mazda3 at present which I'm quite happy with, except for high reving motor. Corners without any roll at all. From memory the standard 118 has a slight roll. Am waiting till next year before getting one after VW has sorted out the waterpump squeal problem.

U'r right about smiley face tho. Instead of making cars, Mazda's making cartoons.

DGR
17-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Funny I'm a Golf wannabe myself. Am driving a 06 Mazda3 at present which I'm quite happy with

Yeah, great car the 3. Couldn't believe how many there were on the roads when I arrived here 18 months ago.

Interesting that you're also considering the 118TSI. Where are all the 90TSI owners I wonder? It must be the minimal price difference that makes everyone go for the larger engine, despite the current issue.

cme2c
17-11-2009, 03:26 PM
You're not wrong although I'm trying not to get upsold to a car I don't really need. I've not driven the 118TSI and perhaps I shouldn't.... might get interested and then end up with a GTI! Good point on the finance front. That's less than Foxtel! When I go back to the dealership with the wife on Saturday I'll sit in one and think it over.

Good spot :)

We narrowed down to the 3 SP25 or Golf. The Golf just seemed a cut above. We went for the 118TSI as some options my wife wanted were only available on it. Satnav was a must, and the one in the Mazda was too small. The VW dealer also gave us $5k more on the trade in. If we didn't go option crazy, the changeover would have been similar.

Frankenstrat
17-11-2009, 04:04 PM
With respect to the chirruping noise, I've copied and pasted this extract from Car Advice.com.au BlogSpot (http://www.caradvice.com.au/23897/2009-volkswagen-golf-vi-first-steer-review/comment-page-4/#comment-165118)

Lates info from the German Motor-Talk forum:

‘VW has apparently answered a VW dealer in Germany and has advised, that from December 2009, the new water-pump will be delivered to dealers for installation in those Golfs which are affected by the squeaking sound. Hopefully, relieve for affected Australian owners will be on it’s way not too long after that.’

gregozedobe
17-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Anyway, at the moment I'm thinking that 90TSI + Comfort Package + MDI is the way to go. But should I consider the 77TDI? This would retail at about the same price as the above but without any extras - not sure it makes sense as the fuel economy is pretty close. I'm mostly city driving in & out of Perth.

Real world fuel economy (as opposed to the "official" figures) depends a lot on individual driving style. If you are very gentle on the accelerator then both engines will get "closeish" to the official figures, but if you drive with a heavy foot a fair proportion of the time the petrol engine will use considerably more than the TDI.

That's why people who love diesels say that you can "have your cake" (accelerate hard a lot of the time) AND "eat it too" (get good fuel economy).

If you drive in heavy, stop start traffic a lot I would lean towards the petrol, as the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) on some VAG TDIs doesn't really like such driving conditions (problems with frequent regenerations).

My usual suggestion is to drive both vehicles and choose which one YOU prefer (but beware the salesman/woman proferring keys to a 118TSI or even worse, a Golf GTI !!!! ).

Mclovin
17-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Hey DGR
I have a 90tsi and love it.:banana:
It's not underpowered at all and can easily sit on 160+kmh with low revs.
The comfort pack is worth the extra so don't skimp on that.

I'm not too sure why most people on here have 118tsi's maybe they all have massive %0c#5 but not quite big enough for a gti or r32?:spy:

Cheers
McLovin

DGR
17-11-2009, 06:36 PM
My usual suggestion is to drive both vehicles and choose which one YOU prefer (but beware the salesman/woman proferring keys to a 118TSI or even worse, a Golf GTI !!!! ).

My salesman was good at not upselling to the 118TSI, but we were straight into Comfort Pack territory! Fair enough though. And they only had 1 GTI left, so we had a good laugh about what discount I could (not) get :)

Hey DGR
I have a 90tsi and love it.:banana:
It's not underpowered at all and can easily sit on 160+kmh with low revs.
The comfort pack is worth the extra so don't skimp on that.

I'm not too sure why most people on here have 118tsi's maybe they all have massive %0c#5 but not quite big enough for a gti or r32?:spy:

Cheers
McLovin

Hoorah - a 90TSI owner....! And it's white too. Good to hear performance is up to scratch, not that I ever doubted it following my runaround. I agree the Comfort Pack is great value, particularly the climate control - traditionally I'm too warm and the wife is too cold...... only other bit I'd get would be the MDI so I can leave the CDs at home.

Out of interest, with the coming/going home lights, do they just light your way when you unlock, and stay illuminated a little while after you leave the car? My sister had a Mini that did similar.

cme2c
17-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Out of interest, with the coming/going home lights, do they just light your way when you unlock, and stay illuminated a little while after you leave the car? My sister had a Mini that did similar.

Both or either. It's configurable in the multi function display. You can choose how long they stay on as well.

roy
17-11-2009, 07:15 PM
The waterpump squeal problem is the only thing put me off...hope it can be solved soon...

cktsi
17-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I ended up with both a 118TSI, & a 103TDI.

I love them both for differnt reasons.

Hey Jason... I've always wondered what the real world fuel consumption difference is between the 118TSI and 103TDI. Can you comment on this?

I suppose if you love them for different reasons they may be used differently & hence a direct comparison isn't possible (e.g. neither car does the same daily commute), but it's still informative.

I didn't have the loaner MkV 103TDI (DSG) for long enough, but when I used it for the normal daily commute it was using 7.3L/100km where my manual 2.0 FSI was using 8.8L/100km for the same (though admittedly short) run. I only had the MkV103TDI for 2 days though.

geojack555
17-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Jason is right about 118TSI. I was initially set to get 90 TSI with comfort pack, but changed my mind just before the delivery date, and managed to get 118TSI. I dont regret it as for 2K, you are getting all the comfort line options + better & faster engine + better trim (seats/ 16" alloys etc) which is really worth!

DGR
18-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Jason is right about 118TSI. I was initially set to get 90 TSI with comfort pack, but changed my mind just before the delivery date, and managed to get 118TSI. I dont regret it as for 2K, you are getting all the comfort line options + better & faster engine + better trim (seats/ 16" alloys etc) which is really worth!

And it does sound like a fix for the squeal noise is imminent - good news for everyone :cool:

I'm awaiting a quote from my lease firm on the 90TSI. It'll be interesting to see what discount they can get off the RRP. If it's 10%+ as suggested by the spreadsheet in another thread I could consider an upgrade.

The spec sheet I have says that the more powerful car actually uses less fuel in the urban cycle (8.3L/100km v 8.4L/100km), although 'tis very close.

cme2c
18-11-2009, 10:12 AM
And it does sound like a fix for the squeal noise is imminent - good news for everyone :cool:

I'm awaiting a quote from my lease firm on the 90TSI. It'll be interesting to see what discount they can get off the RRP. If it's 10%+ as suggested by the spreadsheet in another thread I could consider an upgrade.

The spec sheet I have says that the more powerful car actually uses less fuel in the urban cycle (8.3L/100km v 8.4L/100km), although 'tis very close.

We haven't noticed the supercharger squeal. All I hear as my wife drives off in the morning is a slight turbo whistle - unnoticeable inside the car which has done 2500 kms. Amazingly, we are getting 8.3 -8.4 economy in a car which spends nearly all its time in the suburban traffic.

JasonP
18-11-2009, 11:00 AM
cktsi,

Happy to comment on real world figures for both.

I use the 103TDI DSG as my "high-mileage" work truck. I'm a mortgage broker, & I'm on the road quite a bit. I'm based in Brisbane, & have clients as far away as Gympie, & the Gold Coast.
The TDI does a mix of highway cruising, & absolute bumper to bumper gridlock in Brisbanes' peakhour.

It was delivered on 22/09/09, & has now done approx 4500km, for an average of 5.85l/100km. That's calculated from refueling to the first click, not the MFD.

The 118TSI DSG (delivered 29/06/09) has done probably more kms on freeways, but has done some work around town.

After approx 8500km, the average has been 7.28l/100km.

I think it's fair to compare the two of them.

So, in real life, the TDI has been 1.43l/100kms more fuel efficient.

Remember, the TDI has the 6 speed DSG, & the TSI has the 7 speed.

I love the 320Nm of torque in the TDI, & also love the refinement & smoothness of the 118TSI.

They are different enough, so that I still look forward to driving each of them.

The TSI has the full kit (RNS510, Park Assist, Sports Pack with Leather, Dynaudio, etc), & feels very different inside.

The TDI also has RNS510 + Sports Pack, but just the standard cloth trim.

There's only a couple issues that annoy, & one of them is familiar to all recent Golf Owners:

1. Hey, one of your reverse lights is out...

The 2nd is, "why do you have 2 Golfs?"

There's several answers to question 2, however, here's 3:

a) They drive very differently
b) Each, in their own way, meets my needs for the type of car I want to drive
c) Because I can.....

The TSI replaces a VE SS 6.0 MY08 Auto Sedan.
The TDI replaces a MY08 Mazda 2 Maxx man. Hatch.

x_rotary_rasp
18-11-2009, 01:16 PM
I also have 2 diesels, an Audi A3 125 kw and a Golf 6 103TDi. Both are very fuel efficient and mixed driving results in 5.7 to 5.8 litres/100km. It is very easy to drive a diesel and get great fuel consumption figures.

Both cars compensate for the rotary powered car I have which drinks fuel like water.

cme2c
18-11-2009, 02:24 PM
cktsi,

Happy to comment on real world figures for both.

I think it's fair to compare the two of them.

So, in real life, the TDI has been 1.43l/100kms more fuel efficient.

Which is why we didn't pay the extra for the TDI. the car is only going to do 15000 kms per year.

There's only a couple issues that annoy, & one of them is familiar to all recent Golf Owners:

1. Hey, one of your reverse lights is out...

The 2nd is, "why do you have 2 Golfs?"

You forgot Hey, one of your foglights is out. Our second question is "Why did you get rid of that lovely Honda (2007 Accord Euro Luxury Navi) We just take them for a drive in the Golf.....

soogs
18-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Our second question is "Why did you get rid of that lovely Honda (2007 Accord Euro Luxury Navi) We just take them for a drive in the Golf.....

So you prefer the Golf to the Euro? Wow that's a big call. Besides being more spacious, hasn't the Euro got anything going for it?

Stoney!
18-11-2009, 02:49 PM
You forgot Hey, one of your foglights is out.

The reverse light thing is getting very old, everytime I show off how the RVC comes out of the badge when I put it in reverse "oh you got a reverse light out already"....sigh.

The foglight thing is even more annoying, "When you pulled out of the driveway did you have your foglights on, cause only one was working".....again, sigh.

Stoney!

cktsi
18-11-2009, 04:59 PM
The reverse light thing is getting very old, everytime I show off how the RVC comes out of the badge when I put it in reverse "oh you got a reverse light out already"....sigh.

The foglight thing is even more annoying, "When you pulled out of the driveway did you have your foglights on, cause only one was working".....again, sigh.

Stoney!

In the MFD I deactivated the coming home light function due to the constant "sir you left your headlights on" experience in my old MkV. Of course, I used the 'workaround' of unlocking the car then locking to prevent the hassle in the MkV.

I still have the leaving home activated in the Mk6.

cme2c
18-11-2009, 07:19 PM
So you prefer the Golf to the Euro? Wow that's a big call. Besides being more spacious, hasn't the Euro got anything going for it?

Um, no, not really. The Euro is a quiet, comfortable, luxurious car. It had satnav, 6 stacker, dual zone climate control, HID headlights, leather, power front seats (no memory) sunroof, 17's. We got the Honda to replace a Peugeot 307 when we got sick of things going wrong.

The only reason we started looking for something else was that my wife found the Euro too big. The original plan was to keep the Euro for another year, but the changeover was right.

The most impressive thing about the Golf is that it is as quiet as the Euro, and as comfortable. I was expecting it to be noisier, being a hatch, but it's not. The Golf (on 16" wheels) rides better than the Honda, and the Pirellis on our Golf are quieter than the Bridgestones on the Honda.

We weren't great fans of leather, and she never used the sunroof. Manual seats are actually quicker to adjust than electric. The RNS 510 is a bit different than the Mitsubishi satnav in the Honda, but we're getting used to it. Love the HDD audio and really glad we got the Dynaudio. Front and rear sensors and camera were the icing on the cake (the Honda had rear sensors only not integrated with the screen).

The Golf also uses 25% less petrol.

Look, the Euro is a lovely car. We had absolutely no problems with it. it is well made, and holds its value really well. I don't miss it though.

John

cme2c
18-11-2009, 07:21 PM
In the MFD I deactivated the coming home light function due to the constant "sir you left your headlights on" experience in my old MkV. Of course, I used the 'workaround' of unlocking the car then locking to prevent the hassle in the MkV.

I still have the leaving home activated in the Mk6.

I like the fact that the coming home in the Mark VI only works if you flash the lights after turning off the ignition. So I only use it when I need it.

Greg Roles
18-11-2009, 08:06 PM
I think you'll find most 77 or 90 owners wouldn't be passionate enough about their car to write on a forum, whereas others who choose more expensive sporty options would be more likely to be. Same on any auto forum, those that see cars as transport and those that see them as so much more. Just my guess...

cme2c
19-11-2009, 09:03 AM
I think you'll find most 77 or 90 owners wouldn't be passionate enough about their car to write on a forum, whereas others who choose more expensive sporty options would be more likely to be. Same on any auto forum, those that see cars as transport and those that see them as so much more. Just my guess...

What he said.

cktsi
19-11-2009, 09:11 AM
The most impressive thing about the Golf is that it is as quiet as the Euro, and as comfortable. I was expecting it to be noisier, being a hatch, but it's not. The Golf (on 16" wheels) rides better than the Honda, and the Pirellis on our Golf are quieter than the Bridgestones on the Honda.

I have always wondered if sedans are more quiet on coarse bitumen roads than hatches… so how does the Golf compare to the Euro in that regard?

DGR
19-11-2009, 09:54 AM

And even potential 90TSI buyers like myself have their eyes opened to the 118TSI after a few forum discussions.....:happy:

cme2c
19-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I have always wondered if sedans are more quiet on coarse bitumen roads than hatches… so how does the Golf compare to the Euro in that regard?

It's no noisier. I was extremely surprised as the Peugeot 307 XSE we traded in on the Euro was much noisier, in fact the quietness of the Euro was one of the things that really stood out in the test drive when we bought the car.

My Peugeot 206GTi is a different style of car. It's rough, noisy, tramlines, torque steers BUT it goes exactly where you point it. I love it. My wife hates it.