PDA

View Full Version : Oil Temperature Operqting Range

Highlander
16-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Have noted that one of the displays on the MFD in my CC TDI is oil temperature. Seems to sit around 104 C

May have missed it but can't find anything in the manuals relating to operating temperature.

Anyone aware of the acceptable operating range please

sloutch
16-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Have noted that one of the displays on the MFD in my CC TDI is oil temperature. Seems to sit around 104 C

May have missed it but can't find anything in the manuals relating to operating temperature.

In my R36, the temperature meter to the left of the fuel gauge is always at 90 degrees Celsius when the car is warmed up. Is that the oil temp or water temp?

Wolfman_36
16-11-2009, 08:27 PM
In my R36, the temperature meter to the left of the fuel gauge is always at 90 degrees Celsius when the car is warmed up. Is that the oil temp or water temp?

Water, Slouch. Generally, most thermostats operate 85~90 celsius, and the gauge will normally sit there like it is nailed in place.

passatpout
16-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't worry about oil being around 104 degrees, it's exposed to more of the workings of the engine than the coolant, and coolant runs around 90-odd.

My car has sat rigidly on 90, even on the hot days in Brisbane lately with the AC running flat out, the car fully loaded, and bouncing around the hills in the west..

gregozedobe
17-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Water, Slouch. Generally, most thermostats operate 85~90 celsius, and the gauge will normally sit there like it is nailed in place.

That's because VW have a little software tweak that forces the gauge to read 90C even when it is a little above or below (supposedly to stop owners freaking out if they see it move even a little bit).

Personally I would rather see it move slightly as the thermostat opens and closes, that way I can see everything is working exactly like it should.

Wolfman_36
17-11-2009, 06:48 AM
[QUOTE=gregozedobe;418021]That's because VW have a little software tweak that forces the gauge to read 90C even when it is a little above or below (supposedly to stop owners freaking out if they see it move even a little bit).
QUOTE]

LOL - didn't know that. I guess it says something about VW or VW owners in gereral, but I dont know which..... Likewise, I would prefer to see it display the real temperature. (Now someone's gonna chip in and tell us there is a VAG.COM tweak for this)

ADAC
17-11-2009, 07:34 AM

So far my oil temperature seems to operate around mid 90's to high 90's. Once, in just over 3000kms, I've seen 101C but not 104 yet.

No idea as to correct operating temperature but that few degrees higher than water seems right.

Hypo
17-11-2009, 09:00 AM

The oil doesn't warm up as quickly as the water. I wait until the oil reaches around 80 degrees before revving the car.

You can see the oil temp on the MFI.

As an example of oil warming up. It takes 6 km of driving before the oil reaches 80 degrees. The water will read 90 in about 3 km.

apom
17-11-2009, 09:38 AM
You can see the oil temp on the MFI.

Is that on all MFI's? Cant recall seeing in mine

Swallowtail
17-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Ditto... :(

Hypo
17-11-2009, 10:36 AM

I have possibly used the wrong terminology.

When looking at the dash between the speedo and the tacho you can scroll through all the options.

On there is a oil temp option.

Swallowtail
17-11-2009, 10:40 AM
I have possibly used the wrong terminology.

When looking at the dash between the speedo and the tacho you can scroll through all the options.

On there is a oil temp option.

Yup, we know what you mean, just don't think I have oil temp on there. Is yours a red MFD? Do you have the Kufatec / Fiscon bluetooth that provides the MIS addon that gives boost etc?

Hypo
17-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, we know what you mean, just don't think I have oil temp on there. Is yours a red MFD? Do you have the Kufatec / Fiscon bluetooth that provides the MIS addon that gives boost etc?

I have a R36 Wagon delivered a month ago. I am having a mind blank on the colour of my display. I think it is grey ish though.

I have made no changes to the base model from factory. Bluetooth is the factory 900 option.

Swallowtail
17-11-2009, 11:04 AM
I have a R36 Wagon delivered a month ago. I am having a mind blank on the colour of my display. I think it is grey ish though.

I have made no changes to the base model from factory. Bluetooth is the factory 900 option.

It'll be a white MFD then. I don't recall seeing Oil temp on mine.. maybe it's an MY10 feature?

V6Passat
17-11-2009, 11:28 AM
It'll be a white MFD then. I don't recall seeing Oil temp on mine.. maybe it's an MY10 feature?

I have oil temp on mt 2010 spec V6 Highline.

Highlander
17-11-2009, 11:48 AM
My CC is MY10 with white MFD. Great to have a gauge and no real indication of what oil temperature range is acceptable. I wonder if there is an idiot light/icon that comes on somewhere if the temp is too high. So far haven't found it in the documentation. Also, for sake of curiousity, would be interested to know if NA and TDIs operate at same or different oil temperatures.

passatpout
17-11-2009, 04:28 PM
That's because VW have a little software tweak that forces the gauge to read 90C even when it is a little above or below (supposedly to stop owners freaking out if they see it move even a little bit).

Personally I would rather see it move slightly as the thermostat opens and closes, that way I can see everything is working exactly like it should.

Strange thing to do.. I'd personally prefer it to wobble, although I do recall that VN Commodores used to sit on cold for normal temperature and only go up if they were working hard.

I've also driven quite a few diseasals, ranging from my brother's 307 wagon, to my old man's previous Merc C210CDI, to 14-tonne trucks (Isuzu, Hino, Mazda, to name a few brands), and one thing they've all had in common is that, once warm, the temperature gauge on them all has stayed in one place - even powering uphill in low range next to raging bushfires on 40+ degree days hasn't moved the needle.

Pana
18-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Strange thing to do.. I'd personally prefer it to wobble, .

+1

my old Vectra used to get up to 100 on very hot days and run very cool at about 80-85 on very cold nights. Subaru must do the same tweak like VW on their temp gauges as well becase my old WRX would never ever fluctuate with water temp regardless of whether you were cruising down a street at 60km/h or belting it around a racetrack.

ope126
18-11-2009, 09:07 AM
My CC is MY10 with white MFD. Great to have a gauge and no real indication of what oil temperature range is acceptable. I wonder if there is an idiot light/icon that comes on somewhere if the temp is too high. So far haven't found it in the documentation. Also, for sake of curiousity, would be interested to know if NA and TDIs operate at same or different oil temperatures.

Highlander, don't forget 2.0T FSI engines also...

The Oil Temp on mine this morning was displaying a maximum of 95 degrees after 20mins of driving from cold.
The outside air temp was 25.5 degrees.
Interesting, when the water temp reached 90 degrees (and stays there) the oil temp was still only 41 degrees. This was after about 5mins driving.

Will check again this afternoon when the outside temp is into the 30's+...

Swallowtail
18-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Had a look this morning - no oil temp on the MFD on the R36.

Rocket36
18-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm pretty sure oil temp is in the engineering mode when you press the up arrow and the ac button on the climate control panel. Just can't remember which one it is (eg, dial the left climate control dial to 19 and the right display is correct speed).

Swallowtail
18-11-2009, 12:13 PM
hah! good point. I have a list somewhere of what they all are... wonder where that is...

Rocket36
18-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I just did a google search for it and the first result is THIS THREAD!!! :D LMAO!!!

If you can track down your list it would be interesting what they ALL are.

Hypo
18-11-2009, 02:23 PM
Had a look this morning - no oil temp on the MFD on the R36.

Will take a picture of mine tonight and show you what it looks like.

Radius
18-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I definitely have the oil temp on the R36's MFD as well. So far averaging 90-95 degrees. Peak was 103 degrees on the first pick-up day with a Melbourne ambient temp of 33 degrees. Sounds like it's one of the small MY10 tweaks then.

Swallowtail
18-11-2009, 03:52 PM
I definitely have the oil temp on the R36's MFD as well. So far averaging 90-95 degrees. Peak was 103 degrees on the first pick-up day with a Melbourne ambient temp of 33 degrees. Sounds like it's one of the small MY10 tweaks then.

:(

Where do you get it in the menus?

Hypo
18-11-2009, 04:03 PM
:(

Where do you get it in the menus?

It is one up from the speed warning.

Rocket36
18-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Not in my MY09.

mtj007
18-11-2009, 07:15 PM
It's an MY10 thing I'd say, the MY10 Golf 118TSI loaner I had last week had oil temp. Dad's MY09 Golf 6 103TDI doesn't have it, neither does my MY09 Golf 5 or did my mum's MY07 Passat.

Pana
18-11-2009, 07:41 PM
because adding the supercharger in the MY10 wasn't enough to piss off MY09 owners, they had to put an oil temp readout as well!!!! DAMN YOU VW!!!! ;) :P

Hypo
18-11-2009, 09:44 PM
My R36 Cluster

http://www.austesting.com/R36Dash.jpg

Highlander
18-11-2009, 09:48 PM
There is also an oil temp thread in the Golf Mk VI Forum
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=37466

Rocket36
18-11-2009, 10:16 PM
My R36 Cluster

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Time to get that update done at my dealer...

Rthirsty6
19-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Yep, mine (MY10) also has oil temp.
As for operating range, shouldn't worry below 110-115 deg as oil can handle higher temperatures. If during track use it rises higher then it's time to start looking for an oil cooler. I do same as Rocket, don't push hard until oil is in vincinity of 90deg. Once oil is up to operating temp all engine components have reached their operating tolerances (as designed), which they don't when the coolant temp reaches 90deg!!

For the people that don't have the read-out, you can buy strips that you can stick to the sump that record the highest temp reached. It's not ideal, but if you do go on a track then at least it's something to measure what the temp has been. Better then nothing I guess...

Highlander
19-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Did a 100km Sydney/ Bowral trip this afternoon and paid particular attention to all temperatures. Easy cruise. 110k on the F6, 80/100k Appin Road and then 110k back on the Hume Freeway.

Outside temp ---- never under 30 degrees

Inside temp 21 degrees with aircon coping well

Oil temp - fluctuated between 98 and 106 degrees. Highest temp was in 50k section through Appin. Lowest on the freeway but no consistent correlation. Not the way I expected it to be but higher speed may have something to do with cooling.

Water Temp - rock steady on that software tricked 90 degrees

Car now has 900k on the clock and fuel needle is not in the red yet. Average is 6.2 l/100km at this stage. Mix of highway and city driving (in peak hour).

Without the V6's extra 100kw and 4 motion I have to find something to amuse me on solo trips.

Rthirsty6
20-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Oil temp - fluctuated between 98 and 106 degrees. Highest temp was in 50k section through Appin. Lowest on the freeway but no consistent correlation. Not the way I expected it to be but higher speed may have something to do with cooling.

General rule of thumb is the harder the engine works the more the oil temp increases; friction of all moving components (particularly pistons) generates heat, and oil is as well as a lubricant also a means to transfer heat (away from the internal moving parts). The lower the car speed the less the engine sump (= engine oil) is cooled. So driving fast on a windy stretch of road will increase the oil temp (as you experienced) whilst freeway driving will likely maintain temperature, unless you drive 200+ km/h as the engine will have to work very hard to overcome aerodynamic drag, which increases exponentially when speed increases. Modern cars are all designed to maintain correct oil temp during "normal" driving conditions. Sumps nowadays are mostly aluminium with profiles that increase the surface to allow more surface area to dissipate the heat. Some cars (generally high performance) have oil coolers fittted to assist with this.