PDA

View Full Version : A4/B6 1.8T wiring problem

gccooper
15-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I have transplanted a 2001 A4 1,8T engine into a mid engined race car I am building. I have most of the wiring harness from the wreak I got the engine from. I have power to the starter, but no power to the dash. Before stripping the wreak the dash gave me warnings about car and engine problem (e.g. the headlights were fautly (smashed), the engine oil was low, etc.)

I need help with what the wiring problem to the dash might be and what I have to do to get the dash to display.

Any help or idea's would be great.

Regards
Glenn.

h100vw
15-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I reckon there's a separate fuse for the clocks, have you got that in?

What would help is the engine code. APU is one possibility.

Gavin

gccooper
15-11-2009, 06:20 PM
I reckon there's a separate fuse for the clocks, have you got that in?

What would help is the engine code. APU is one possibility.

Gavin

Hi Gavin

The engine is a AVJ, the vin is WAUZZZ8EZ1A072899.

Where are the fuse for the clocks located and what do they look like?

Thanks
Glenn.

Jmac
15-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeah AVJ is the B6 mate, ok normally fuse 15 on the A pillar is the fuse for the dash cluster. So you have the full loom and cluster? I have the diagram if you are stuck
cheers
Jmac

h100vw
15-11-2009, 09:09 PM
In the fuse box on the A pillar at the end of the dash. A blade fuse or a mini blade, can't remember for sure.

Do you need to have the clocks for any reason except the immobilisation?

Gavin

Jmac
15-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah AVJ is the B6 mate, ok normally fuse 15 on the A pillar is the fuse for the dash cluster. So you have the full loom and cluster? I have the diagram if you are stuck
cheers
Jmac

To add to that , on your 32 pin connector for the dash it is pin number 2 which is red/blue. This is the main power feed for the cluster that comes via fuse 15.
Cheers
Jmac

gccooper
16-11-2009, 04:27 PM
To add to that , on your 32 pin connector for the dash it is pin number 2 which is red/blue. This is the main power feed for the cluster that comes via fuse 15.
Cheers
Jmac

I have power at fuse 15 and at pin 2 on the green connector, Pins 18 and 19 both go to earth, but no life on the dash.

I am using a US workshop manual which is for a AMB not a AVJ. The wiring seems to match apart from the component location which is reversed for the left hand drive.

I am not planning on using the dash in the finished car, just thought it would be easier to use the wiring I have to get the car running before stripping and re-wiring to fit my car. The wiring to the lights, from the rear of the car, and to the brake controls is not fitted.

When I turn the key I have power to the starter but it does not turn over.

Any assistance, direction or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Glenn

0408 628 656.

h100vw
16-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Is the solenoid on the starter engaging? Do you have a good earth on the starter?

Are you measuring the power to the starter with one lead of the meter in the wire and the other on the battery or the body of the starter? Body of the starter is the place to be.

Gavin

Jmac
16-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Terminal 50 on the starter you should have a red/black wire, same colour they have used for moons. Anyway on crank this wire should have 12v, if yes you are looking at stuck solenoid or drama with the stater motor itself. Jump the starter to see what it does thatll give you a good idea.
cheers
Jmac