PDA

View Full Version : Headlight / DRL / Foglight / Park light bulb replacement

eugeq
15-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Hi,

Has anyone changed, or know how to change the headlights and driving lights on the new gti yet? I'm thinking of swapping bulbs to get a white/blue light instead of the yellow.

What type of bulbs should I get?

Cheers

gregozedobe
15-11-2009, 02:44 PM
If you are after more light to see better then I recommend Philips X-treme H1 55W and Osram 65W H7 Rallye (depending on what fitting your headlights take - it is probably mentioned somewhere in your owner's manual).

If you really must have the blue/white look (and don't mind the reduced output and/or shorter life that comes with that at no extra charge) try looking at the powerbulbs UK website. You may want to change your parker globes as well if they are a bit "yellow" (but they are a lot harder to change than headlight globes on some VW lights).

kimiraikkonen1a
17-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I recently bought H7 philips crystal vision headlight bulbs to put in my 118tsi. Changing the main dipped beam bulbs was easy enough. I am having a lot of trouble with the 5W park lights though. The instruction manual doesn't really detail how u r supposed to remove the fixture, it just says to pull it out. I have tried twisting and pulling it with great difficulty as there is hardly any wiggle room to fit ure hand in. My only hesitation to apply more force is that I might break it as Im unsure of the correct procedure to remove the fixture.

Does anyone know how to do it correctly? I really dont want to waste money and take it to an auto electrician to change 2 park light bulbs.

sillygogo
17-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Its really tight, wiggle it little to loosen it and pull it straight out. It helps if you have small hands.

I found the main dip was way harder to put it. eventually brought it to VW, the tech guy was happy to do it without charge. He need to remove a few parts to get into the main dip. He said that there is a small plier like tool for the 5w parkers.

sillygogo
17-12-2009, 09:05 PM
apology, it was the other way around. Main dip was easy, parkers were a pain. Took the VW tech guy a good 20minutes because he need to remove some parts in the engine bays to gain good access to the bulbs.

kimiraikkonen1a
17-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah the main dipped ones were no problem. Now I know not to yank the parkers out, do u know where i could get that plier-like tool from? I'd rather have a go myself.

Just curious, what bulbs did u fit in your car? how do u find the brightness etc?
The Philips Crystal vision are a nice blueish white, but definately not brighter than the stock bulbs, they are about the same if not very slightly less bright.

JIMMYP
24-01-2010, 12:41 AM
G'day everyone,
Have had a look through this great forum as well as on the net, but still not clear on a few things.

I will be getting the MkVI TSI 118 in April. I have heard that the headlights are pretty weak. My questions are:

1. Are the lights really weak? I will be doing some country driving, will it really be worth upgrading the bulbs if I am?

2. I am thinking of the Phillips Xtreme H7's - anyone like these?

3. Is it difficult to actually gain access to and remove/change the bulbs?

4. Does changing the bulbs to the non-factory types cause problems with the electrics and/or the warranty?

5. Is there a potential problem with the bulbs not being "aimed" correctly? Or is this only if you actually replace the whole light set-up (e.g. with an HID kit)? I don't want to end up with problems like this, and also obviously don't want to blind oncoming drivers with poorly directed headlights.

Sorry for all the questions, but I couldn't find the answers to these anywhere, and figure that if anyone knows, its my fellow forum members!

Thanks alot!

Cheers.

JIMMYP:banana::banana::banana:

sillygogo
24-01-2010, 08:21 AM
1. Are the lights really weak?
NO

I will be doing some country driving, will it really be worth upgrading the bulbs if I am?

YES, extra driving lights if its really dark or OFFroad.

About the same as standard, but legal.

YES, need to remove a few parts in the engine bay.

4. Does changing the bulbs to the non-factory types cause problems with the electrics and/or the warranty?

No to electric, warranty is debatable.

5. Is there a potential problem with the bulbs not being "aimed" correctly? Or is this only if you actually replace the whole light set-up

Lines up fine, but it also depends on the bulbs.

(e.g. with an HID kit)? I don't want to end up with problems like this, and also obviously don't want to blind oncoming drivers with poorly directed headlights.

Retro HID kits are not legal and if not install correctly will blind everyone on the road, accept for the folks behind you.

gregozedobe
24-01-2010, 09:43 PM

I have compared quite few different H7 globes, and the Philips X-treme gave the best improvement in output (approx 25-30% real improvement) of any of the standard wattage (55W) H7 globes.

Not if they are the same voltage and wattage as the OEM globes.

5. Is there a potential problem with the bulbs not being "aimed" correctly? Or is this only if you actually replace the whole light set-up
If you are replacing a good quality globe with another good quality globe there "should" be little (if any) change to the aim, but it is worth checking after installing any new globe to make sure it is still OK.

Pharkus
25-01-2010, 04:09 PM
5. Is there a potential problem with the bulbs not being "aimed" correctly? Or is this only if you actually replace the whole light set-up (e.g. with an HID kit)? I don't want to end up with problems like this, and also obviously don't want to blind oncoming drivers with poorly directed headlights.

Too late to option up factory HID's?

sillygogo
25-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Too late to option up factory HID's?

Factory HID not available on the 118TSI GOLF

Pharkus
25-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Factory HID not available on the 118TSI GOLF

Too bad. Guess the technology hasn't fully filtered down to every car just yet.

sillygogo
26-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Too bad. Guess the technology hasn't fully filtered down to every car just yet.

Well the technology is there, it is available as an option in NZ for the GOLF but i guess the importer didn't want to bring it in for OZ.

Corey_R
26-01-2010, 08:43 AM

YES, need to remove a few parts in the engine bay.

Really? Did this change with the MK6 ?
I remember that segment on Fifth Gear where they had the Renault Megane vs the VW Golf MKV, and the Megane took a mechanic over an hour to change a headlight bulb (have to remove wheels and all), whereas the Golf could be done in 30 seconds with one hand whilst sitting forward on the front of the car eating a hamburger in the other hand... (literally)

sillygogo
26-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Really? Did this change with the MK6 ?
I remember that segment on Fifth Gear where they had the Renault Megane vs the VW Golf MKV, and the Megane took a mechanic over an hour to change a headlight bulb (have to remove wheels and all), whereas the Golf could be done in 30 seconds with one hand whilst sitting forward on the front of the car eating a hamburger in the other hand... (literally)

hmm, I haven't see that segment.
What I found was, hard to gain access to, awkward angle, very small opening and hard to grip the bulb.

Corey_R
26-01-2010, 07:09 PM
http://fwd.five.tv/fifth-gear/videos/consumer-info/renault-megane-lightbulbs-highlights-s14-p2

That would be the segment I guess, but I can't play it from where I am (Korea atm). It doesn't mention the Golf in the text of that page, but on the show they used the Golf MKV as an example of 'how it should be' when doing a report on how incredible bad the Megane's headlight design is (literally requiring you to remove the front wheels and access the headlights via a small hole in the wheel arch).
Whereas on the Golf, after a few practices, the Fifth Gear presenter was able to sit on the front of the car, eat a sandwich, lean backwards, reach down into the engine bay and change the headlight bulb with one hand whilst not even looking at what he was doing.

kimiraikkonen1a
27-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah the MK6 main dipped beam headlights are as easy to change as the MK5 shown in that Fifth Gear segment, I've done it myself. The tricky ones are the park lights.

There's hardly any room to get your hand down and into the bulb housing, and when u do manage to get your fingers on the park light socket you can't clamp your fingers tight enough to pull it out with enough force.
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=38785&highlight=main+beam
According to sillygogo you should be able to get the guys at the service centre to do it for you free of charge. I haven't had time to get mine to my VW service centre yet.

Pharkus
27-01-2010, 07:53 AM
Well the technology is there, it is available as an option in NZ for the GOLF but i guess the importer didn't want to bring it in for OZ.

Agree. Don't really see how it is much harder to option it for the 118TSI (hence my assumption before that you could) over a GTI. Have you tried asking the dealer if it's at all possible?

Once you get factory HID's it's hard to go back!

Corey_R
27-01-2010, 08:45 AM
It means that VWA would need to keep stock of additional sets of alternate bumpers (with provision for the headlight washers etc) etc in the country. Otherwise every time someone had a small fender bender with a car with Xenon lights, that car would be off the road for ages whilst the bumper shipped from Germany etc.

Additional inventory means extra admin, tracking costs, storage etc. Storage is actually quite expensive in this country! It's always more complicated guys than just having 'an extra box for the customer to tick'.

Pharkus
27-01-2010, 09:27 AM
But wouldn't VWA still be required to stock spare bumpers (with provision for headlight washers) for the GTI's and R32's that are optioned/come with HID's?

So where is the difference here if the 118TSI were offered with HID's?

VWA would still be making money off it as the customer has optioned up their car, and we all know how those add up!

Corey_R
27-01-2010, 12:21 PM
But wouldn't VWA still be required to stock spare bumpers (with provision for headlight washers) for the GTI's and R32's that are optioned/come with HID's?

So where is the difference here if the 118TSI were offered with HID's?

VWA would still be making money off it as the customer has optioned up their car, and we all know how those add up!

Yes they are. But the thing is that the R32 comes with Xenon's standard. So they're only storing 1 type of bumper there.
The GTI was also optioned with Xenon's a fair amount, so they had to keep 2 types for that model.

But the thing is, even on the GTI, Xenon option might account for only 20% of sales (I have NO idea of the figure, I'm just picking that number based on my observations of GTI's I pass on the roads).

So if only 1 in 5 people pay for a $2k headlight option on a $45k car, how many people would pay that on a $25k or 30k car? 1 in 10? 1 in 20?

You then have to realise that the MK6 also has 'Park Assist' which not only has front parking sensors but the larger side sensor. So they already have to stock 2 models of bumper. If you added the Xenon option to the mix they'd then have to stock 4 models of bumper!

So which one do you think more people would pick on a $30k hatchback? Park Assist, or Xenons?

We all know the answer is Park Assist.

Stoney!
29-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Good luck upgrading all your beams to performance bulbs.

I was out today looking to upgrade all my bulbs (high/low beam and foggies) to the Narva Blue power globes, only to find my project scream to a massive hault when it came to the High Beam globes with the store attendant looking at the top of the light cluster and saying "what the **** is a H15 globe".

It seems since the intro of daytime running lights the globe is no longer a standard H7 (with lower voltage for daytime running lights as I initially thought) but a twin filament globe called the H15 designed and only made by osram (in a hella light cluster, go figure...) and to top it off, only used in the Golf VI and Passat CC.

With no performance upgrade for these bulbs it seems we are stuck with the standard high beam globes for now.

I urge anyone thinking of upgrading, those who already know these, or those who just wanna help out, to e-mail osram asking when a high performance alternative of this globe will be released, if the demand is there they need to meet it.

Thanks for your help.
Stoney!

sillygogo
29-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I thought the Highbeam looks different.

The low beam is still H7 though, so you can upgrade these. You would use the lowbeam for 90% of the time anyway. I think the highbeam is bright enough for city driving. However if majority of your driving is in the not in the city/suburbia then install some driving lights.

alphabeatsco
11-05-2010, 06:08 PM
how to change the headlight globe in mk6.
i want to change to bright white instead of the yelllow headlights.

alphabeatsco
11-05-2010, 07:53 PM
thanksss....

Corey_R
11-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Have you looked at the manual?

alphabeatsco
12-05-2010, 06:29 PM
no i dont have manual.
i am doing this for someone.

Corey_R
12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Look in their manual then :)

Maverick
12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
how to change the headlight globe in mk6.
i want to change to bright white instead of the yelllow headlights.

For what purpose, looks or performance?

Halogen Lights in Golfs (http://www.my-gti.com/category/lighting/halogen-lighting)

Spook
12-05-2010, 11:41 PM
See from 5:40. It's the Mark V however, plus the rest of the segment is quite entertaining too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

nau
13-05-2010, 10:00 AM
funny video thx : )

alphabeatsco
13-05-2010, 10:02 AM
tht sucks!
that video was very interesting, thanks.

now i wanna ask, do i need to remove bumper or body parts to change headlight on the new MK6.

team_v
13-05-2010, 10:18 AM
tht sucks!
that video was very interesting, thanks.

now i wanna ask, do i need to remove bumper or body parts to change headlight on the new MK6.

You should just have to open the hood, and unbolt the lights, then lift them up and out.

nau
13-05-2010, 10:53 AM
cant find mk6 gti bulbs anywhere
are they the same as 5th gen ??? (i think some one asked that before but I cant remember the answer)

Corey_R
13-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Look at Mav's site :)

alphabeatsco
13-05-2010, 07:39 PM
so it's pretty easy?
i might need to change it for my friend.

alphabeatsco
16-06-2010, 04:48 PM
has anyone attempted to change bright or blue bulbs in replacement of the yellow halogen?
it seems easy enough, but looks crap with the yellow DRL. the DRL is H15, some new model bulbs...there seems to be no replacement for those as yet.

Maverick
16-06-2010, 05:45 PM
has anyone attempted to change bright or blue bulbs in replacement of the yellow halogen?
it seems easy enough, but looks crap with the yellow DRL. the DRL is H15, some new model bulbs...there seems to be no replacement for those as yet.

Blue bulbs are for riceboys who are happy to limit their visibility in order to look "cool".

You can replace the H15 with a nightbreaker bulb that gives a white light.

Info on bulbs are here (http://www.my-gti.com/category/lighting/halogen-lighting) along with links to powerbulbs that sell them cheaply.

Stoney!
17-06-2010, 01:52 AM
Blue bulbs are for riceboys who are happy to limit their visibility in order to look "cool".

You can replace the H15 with a nightbreaker bulb that gives a white light.

Info on bulbs are here (http://www.my-gti.com/category/lighting/halogen-lighting) along with links to powerbulbs that sell them cheaply.

Hey Mav,

I've been trawling the internet trying to find a High performance globe for the H15, such as night breaker but to no avail. Where did you see these?

Stoney!

nau
17-06-2010, 10:54 AM
I just swapped bulbs on mine (GTI tho) 2 days ago
1st one took me 10 min... 2nd one took me like 1min and a half

u don't need to remove anything unless you got HUGE hands and passengers side is a bit harder to get too....

as far as results goes: yes its a bit better (I was expecting a bit more from them) but its an improvement for sure - and considering the cost, its money well spend

iBoost
17-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah I'm keen to find some H15s for my DRLs that are a whiter light, but so far haven't found any available. Has anyone had any luck finding some good ones to upgrade to?

Maverick
17-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey Mav,

I've been trawling the internet trying to find a High performance globe for the H15, such as night breaker but to no avail. Where did you see these?

Stoney!

Whooops I thought the H15 was out in the Night Breaker but it's not.

alphabeatsco
18-06-2010, 09:43 PM
NAU: you mentioned that u changed both bulbs...
where did u find the h15 bulbs?

Corey_R
18-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I took that to read that he swapped both bulbs... left light and right light :)

alphabeatsco
19-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Oops. So anyone know where to get h15 bulbs?

alphabeatsco
21-06-2010, 09:23 AM
so has anyone replaced white globes on the MK6 for headlights?i was thinknig about philips diamond vision..any comments?

logger
21-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Oops. So anyone know where to get h15 bulbs?
VW will no doubt have them.

In terms of replacing the MK6 TSI 118, factory fit - I too would be interested in a compatible bulb that improves on the H15 . unlike others, I am not at all fussed by yellowness of the 19w DRLs (I have disabled mine). Am after more grunt from the 60W main beams though, for country driving. I find them pretty average. So if someone eventually finds something compatible PLS sing out.

alphabeatsco
21-06-2010, 04:12 PM
sorrie, i actually meant white /blue DRL bulbs.
i also want to ask, if i replace the parkers , plate lights and headlights bulbs.
is it going to cause an error on the dash? i know some euro cars do that.

Maverick
21-06-2010, 05:18 PM
sorrie, i actually meant white /blue DRL bulbs.
i also want to ask, if i replace the parkers , plate lights and headlights bulbs.
is it going to cause an error on the dash? i know some euro cars do that.

It depends on how you do it. What do you plan on doing? Blue tinted lights give less light so unless you want to see less you should go for a bulb that actually offers better performance like the Osram NightBreaker.

nau
22-06-2010, 09:58 AM
NAU: you mentioned that u changed both bulbs...
where did u find the h15 bulbs?

was on ebay but that saller doesnt have them any more...

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 06:03 PM
why does changing license plate bulb to LED causes dash error code???

Brian
23-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, only cause I'm from an electrical background, but I suspect the LED lighting does not draw enough current to make the car think the (conventional) light bulb is working. It thinks the bulb is blown.

Regards,
Brian

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 06:49 PM
so if i replace it with a LED with the same current usage, that should solve it?

Ozram
23-06-2010, 07:32 PM
No, you will need to build resistors into it to make sure the blown globe light isn't illuminated on your dash. The system sends a small electrical current that is complete if all globes are operational. If a tail light globe blows for example that signal is broken and the warning light comes on.

Check Mav's site here for better info.

Upgrading the number plate lights to LED on the Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, GTI, R32, Rabbit and Passat | my-gti.com (http://www.my-gti.com/1053/upgrading-the-number-plate-lights-to-led-on-the-volkswagen-golf-jetta-gti-r32-rabbit-and-passat)

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 07:42 PM
oh ok.
so how do i replace a bulb without warning lights?

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 07:53 PM
it has the warning light comes on around 6watts and because LED is less than that, hence it thinks it's broken.
then can't you just put in high Watt LED bulbs?

Ozram
23-06-2010, 07:58 PM
oh ok.
so how do i replace a bulb without warning lights?

Did you read the link I posted? You have to put a resistor either around the LED or in the wiring.

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 08:28 PM
yeah i did read it.
but i dont understand how many resistors i need.
it saids 1 resister per bulb and the bulb was like 1.5w?
so how does that exceed 6watt, which is what the warning light is about.

Corey_R
23-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Mate - no offense, but if you don't understand basic electronics and the information in the link that Ozram posted, then maybe you shouldn't be mucking around with the electronics on your car! You don't want to cause an issue which creates a problem which won't be covered under warranty....

alphabeatsco
23-06-2010, 09:51 PM
ok.
so where can i purchase premade LED that dont cause error codes.
i need parkers and license plate leds.

AdamD
24-06-2010, 09:48 AM
ok.
so where can i purchase premade LED that dont cause error codes.
i need parkers and license plate leds.

If you can't find a kit, perhaps take your car to a good auto electrician who can install resistors for you, to get your LEDs working correctly without errors.

alphabeatsco
30-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm trying to remove the parking lights...
Spent 2 hrs!,, still can't get it off...
The passenger side one took me 2 min... The driver side will turn but won't come out when I pull...
Does it actually need to be turned....???

idaho
25-07-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm trying to remove the parking lights...
Spent 2 hrs!,, still can't get it off...
The passenger side one took me 2 min... The driver side will turn but won't come out when I pull...
Does it actually need to be turned....???

Our MkV is similar. The headlight globes and drivers side parking light were all easy to change. However the passenger side parking light is impossible to remove, even with the air filter box lid off to get good access. The park globe holder appears to be part of the high beam reflector housing. Of note is that highbeam assembly was replaced under warranty because it was out of alignment from delivery and the dealer could not fix it.

noowve
09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
i am thinking of changing the fog lights on my ride the MK6 GTI to match the white lights of my xenons..

firstly any recommendation on white light specs i.e watts and brightness and also make?

secondly if doing so, will the warning light come up on the MFD indicating that the bulb has blown which obviously its not?

thanks

solistics
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I replaced my fogs with Phillips Blue Vision 4000k "xenon-like" bulbs. Other than the xenon-effect blue tint they're standard H7 bulbs and didn't produce any errors. Naturally they match the Phillips Blue Vision headlight bulbs I also fitted. I'm not sure what the colour temperature the stock xenon headlights are but the Phillips H7 bulbs are available in both 4000k (legal) and 5000k (illegal) colour temperatures.

Hope that helps!

noowve
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi Solistics, thanks for that.. i'll purchase some this weekend.. by the way did you get it installed yourself or you brought it back to where you purchase your car?

solistics
11-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Glad to help....I installed them myself and it was a piece of piss. There's a small flap in the front wheel arch you just pop off with a screwdriver and then slide the connector off, twist and remove. I found it best to full lock the wheels left...then right for ease of access.

noowve
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Solistics, are you able to change it for me? i am not asking too much am i?

solistics
13-08-2010, 09:32 PM
You'll be alright....no harder than swapping a lightbulb at home ;)

fo0lishkid
15-08-2010, 01:29 PM
withdrawing post

Inception.dln
11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Hi there guys, anyone here found a replacement for the stock H15 yet? i want to get rid of the yellow light

SuperHans
11-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey guys, can anyone recommend replacements for all of the lights at the front of the car, I was thinking about getting bright white halogens, but only if I can get a uniform look - don't want some yellow and some white.

I haven't recieved my car yet, so just planning ahead, so haven't got the manual, so not sure what socket types / wattages to get.

DRLs
Low beam
High beam
Fog lights
any other....

ethosguy
12-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Hey guys, can anyone recommend replacements for all of the lights at the front of the car, I was thinking about getting bright white halogens, but only if I can get a uniform look - don't want some yellow and some white.

I haven't recieved my car yet, so just planning ahead, so haven't got the manual, so not sure what socket types / wattages to get.

DRLs
Low beam
High beam
Fog lights
any other....

I'm happy with the (4) Osram 65w Rallye globes now in our Tiguan. Check the Tiguan content for deatils.

Spydar
10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Sharing my experience with a recent update to my My11 GTI.

Plenty of us with non-xenon GTI's dont really like the orange DRL. I see some of us are turning off the DRL's because of the orange look. I like them on but I agree the orange isn't as sexy as Xenon's would be. With no aftermarket H15 bulbs yet on the market I stumbled across on ebay these bulb covers. So I thought I would buy them and give them a go. Couldn't hurt!

They seem to brag they are the first out to market with H15 upgrade kit.
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/H15UpgradeKitFront.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/H15UpgradeKitBack.jpg

Instructions were ok, although I thought they would clip onto the exisiting bulb, but after a few attempts it wasnt going to. Instead I inserted them into the lamp housing first then inserted the bulb into them. Once you lock the bulb back into place they hold the covers tight.

So below are the before and after shots. I have to say I am really impressed with the colour change. Granted its not as good as Xenon - but its a hell of lot cheaper option then installing Xenons, it's legal..and my DRL are no longer orange! This will do until Osram release some aftermarket H15.

The pictures dont do it justice. They dont look as blue in real life. What do you all think?

Before:
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/DRL-PreInstall.jpg

Comparison

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/DRL-Comparison1.jpg

After

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/DRL-PostInstall2.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/DRL-PostInstall1.jpg

I also bought the below. But I am not bothering with uploading before and after pics because I dont really see much difference. I am really disapointed after reading plenty on the improvements people saw. I dont see it.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/H7W5W.jpg

aVex
10-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Awesome! Could you also take photos to compare how your low beams complement your DRLs? Did you also change your low beams?

Spydar
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi aVEx,
When low beams are on, the DRL/High Beam is not activated. Only the park lights are on with the low beams.

But here is before and after - post H7 Low Beam and park light upgrade

BEFORE
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/LowBeam-Before.jpg

AFTER

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb429/wiifi18/Light%20Upgrade/LowBeam-After.jpg

m3103
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Hey mate,
Looks good, well done. Is the DRL's on the GTI's the same as those on comfortline golfs?
If so I'd be interested in doing this mod. Could u give us the eBay link please?
Thanks

masev
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
You could try this US ebay site - It's quite expensive!

H15 BULB SUPER WHITE UPGRADE KIT - PAIR - eBay (item 400200461521 end time Apr-04-11 14:06:40 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H15-BULB-SUPER-WHITE-UPGRADE-KIT-PAIR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2dce6cd1QQitemZ40020 0461521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries)

Spydar
10-03-2011, 10:07 PM
those are them. Expensive?? Considering they are the only ones out there at the moment - $30 is reasonable.

@ m3103 - yeah i think you have the H15 too as your DRL/High Beam

masev
10-03-2011, 10:16 PM
$30?? unless you got free delivery or $30 delivered from another ebayer; these are $50 delivered. imo $50 for bulb covers is a bit exy but if your happy with it, then why not!

nat225
11-03-2011, 11:37 AM
will the high beam be bright enough when driving on RNP roads at night? you could be risking your visibility at the cost of xenon look.

pologti18t
11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
will the high beam be bright enough when driving on RNP roads at night? you could be risking your visibility at the cost of xenon look.

Exactly. the covers will reduce the output of the highbeams.

Spydar
11-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Exactly. the covers will reduce the output of the highbeams.

I haven't tested yet. Living in Sydney I have not used my high beams once since picking up the car 2 months ago. But I have installed the Osram Night Breaker H7's which will compliment high beams when used. So probably not the best for people who live in country or drive on dark unlit roads at night. I guess its like any mod you need to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if it suites your needs.

(when I do use high beams I will update)

gti golfer
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Hello everyone, Installing an after market HID light is not recommended for other drivers, do you know any H7 light bulb which can give me the same brightness & color?
I've tried different brands in the past such as: philips diamond vision, Piaa extreme white plus, a brand called ring & even an h7 led bulbs With 48 led light on it but I'm still not satisfy about the result.
Any brands that u would recommend?

Diesel_vert
12-03-2011, 10:14 PM
There are no H7 bulbs on the market today that meet your requirements.

The Osram H7 65W bulbs are the closest in terms of brightness (2100 lumens) but they still fall short of OEM HID bulbs (3200 lumens) and its colour temperature (probably <3500K) would not be same as the OEM HID bulbs either (4100K), but this is about as good as it gets.

At the moment, it is highly unlikely that you will find a halogen bulb with a colour temperature of 4100K or higher that doesn't sacrifice brightness.

You need to decide which characteristic you prefer: brightness or colour temperature.

prise
13-03-2011, 02:04 PM
My last car had HID low beams and I have to say I don't miss them. In wet conditions with road spray the bluer light gave inferior visibility IMO. I don't understand why the obsession with getting a bluer light other than for fashion or being noticed. In sports requiring optimum vision (shooting, flying, etc) you will see either neutral or amber/yellow tint sunglasses, not blue tint. The shorter wavelength of the blue light reduces visual acuity. Give me a powerful set of halogens any day.

nat225
13-03-2011, 03:18 PM
My last car had HID low beams and I have to say I don't miss them. In wet conditions with road spray the bluer light gave inferior visibility IMO. I don't understand why the obsession with getting a bluer light other than for fashion or being noticed. In sports requiring optimum vision (shooting, flying, etc) you will see either neutral or amber/yellow tint sunglasses, not blue tint. The shorter wavelength of the blue light reduces visual acuity. Give me a powerful set of halogens any day.

The above are all facts.

In the past I tried many different halogen bulbs on my previous cars: blue tinted, rainbow tinted, yellow tinted, slightly red tinted; and the bulbs that gave be the best performance were Phillips Rally 90/110w H4 bulbs (clear bulbs) with custom relay wiring harness.

Then I changed car to Accord Euro Lux, with factory HIDs.

In fact when I drove down to Melb in the Accord Euro. left Sydney at 11pm, I turned the highbeams on as frequently as possible (when no oncoming traffic) as the low beam HIDs were not enough. The HIDs are just not effective enough on pitch black and black asphalt (but great on grey asphalt).

Now the GTI with halogen, fitted with Phillips Xtreme Vision, I find it sufficient for my needs. Factory bi-xenon would be great, but the Phillips are the next best thing.

Romp
14-03-2011, 03:38 PM
The above are all facts.

In the past I tried many different halogen bulbs on my previous cars: blue tinted, rainbow tinted, yellow tinted, slightly red tinted; and the bulbs that gave be the best performance were Phillips Rally 90/110w H4 bulbs (clear bulbs) with custom relay wiring harness.

Then I changed car to Accord Euro Lux, with factory HIDs.

In fact when I drove down to Melb in the Accord Euro. left Sydney at 11pm, I turned the highbeams on as frequently as possible (when no oncoming traffic) as the low beam HIDs were not enough. The HIDs are just not effective enough on pitch black and black asphalt (but great on grey asphalt).

Now the GTI with halogen, fitted with Phillips Xtreme Vision, I find it sufficient for my needs. Factory bi-xenon would be great, but the Phillips are the next best thing.

Ive got Osram Nightbreaker plus ... its a slight improvement over stock. Most common upgrade is the phillips xtreme vision and osram nightbreaker plus - check em both out.

The 65w rally eye is also good alternative but not road legal if you care (but still better than an aftermarket HID in a non-projector lens)

Romp
14-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I haven't tested yet. Living in Sydney I have not used my high beams once since picking up the car 2 months ago. But I have installed the Osram Night Breaker H7's which will compliment high beams when used. So probably not the best for people who live in country or drive on dark unlit roads at night. I guess its like any mod you need to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if it suites your needs.

(when I do use high beams I will update)

did you change your parkers as well? I did the nightbreaker plus with PIAA super whites parkers.. the super whites are a tinge blue and the NB+ are a tinge yellow :(

Spydar
17-03-2011, 12:39 PM
did you change your parkers as well? I did the nightbreaker plus with PIAA super whites parkers.. the super whites are a tinge blue and the NB+ are a tinge yellow :(

I replaced both the H7 and W5W bulbs too. (see earlier post) I am not convinced either produces more of a "white light" But I have definitely noticed the H7's are brighter and shine a little further when driving at night.

On another note: I tested the highbeams (h15) with the covers. pologti18t is right, they do reduce your output. But i think its due to the blue colour which doesnt light everything up as well. But my new H7's compensate. But like I mentioned earlier if i lived in the country a did lots of travelling at night, I probably wouldnt have the H15 covers on. But they suite me and my driving around the city as 99% of the time they are used as DRL only.

Inception.dln
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Hi guys quick question. I just installed the USP 4.3k HID kit into my halogen car (i know, i know). Is there a way of fully turning the H15(DRL) and city lights fully off? So when i turn my headlight knob onto its full settings, just the H7 goes on.

I tried the stalker method = failed
Tried vagcom byte 15 (note did not touch byte 11). unchecked bit 6 and 7. Unchecked bit 6 by itself. Unchecked bit 7 by itself. = Failed

CrimDub
02-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Hey Guys,

just installed phillips crystal visions and the bulb covers that were mentioned in past postes. I love the change in colour and the performance of the crystal visions! the covers im not 100% sold on, i think they might be a little to blue for my liking BUT better than the standard yellowish colour. I installed the parkers that came with the crystals but they still look really yellow and dont match the other lights now. i have ordered a heap of canbus LEDs to completly redo the car, parkers, plate, interior etc. cant wait to get them in, hopefuly no bulb out warnings. I'll try post some pics once done. any tips on getting in to the map lights and interior lights?

CrimDub
29-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Yiooo

Have now upgraded all my lights :)

Relevant to this thread:

Low beam- in crystal vision (as above), love them!
DRL/ hi beam- with the covers, great upgrade, not perfect but better than orange and get a lot of comments on them!
Parkers- in LED, awesome :) no error, bright white ( almost make my crystals look yellow now, ha)

Back lights and interior done too but that is a different thread.... Hehe!

slipshot
29-06-2011, 01:44 PM
As an example of independent testing, Auto Express do this annually in the UK and, if nothing else, it gives you some kind of statistical guidance as to which light bulbs work better that others and thus help you choose. It also will make a difference on how old your bulbs are - replacing virtually new bulbs may notice a difference but 6 year old ones will show a greater difference. Bit like a clean car drives smoother than a dirty one - the gap in smoothness or performance in direct correlation to the amount of effort you spent cleaning it yourself!

Headlamp bulbs tested | Products | Auto Express (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/258424/headlamp_bulbs_tested.html)

moped899
26-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Anyone know where I can get the H15 blue covers? Just checked out Ebay and various searches with no luck.

Spydar
27-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Anyone know where I can get the H15 blue covers? Just checked out Ebay and various searches with no luck.
Hi Moped,
I cant see it on ebay either, but here are the details from my order. maybe you can email to ask them?
H15 BULB SUPER WHITE UPGRADE KIT - PAIR
Item Number 190500856829

Business Contact Details

Customer Service URL: http://www.eurosportgarage.com
Customer Service Email: info@onlinepaymentconfirmation.com

Hope this helps!!

Spydar
27-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Hi,
Stumbled across some posts over at VWVortex about these non-genuine headlamp units. They are cars fitted with Halogen units...to give the look of the xenon unit with LED DRL's.
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9799/dscf2063u.jpg

I've been in touch with the guy in the states who is importing these over and he said that low beam is actually a H7 HID bulb, and the high beam is a halogen H7, but he said there shouldnt be an issue with making both Halogen. However the big issue for us with RHD cars is they are built for LHD. They have the e-code beam pattern so the lights may blind oncoming traffic if you drive on the RH side. I am asking if RHD versions will be available soon.

Here they are fitted...
http://upload.trend.hk/images/1305700882.JPG

You can read more on the post here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5296588-For-the-mk6-Halogen-Headlight-people

Ian

Corey_R
27-07-2011, 09:39 PM
The USA have different regulations to Australia, even when it comes to HID and projection lights. They have no such requirement for washers for example. I would investigate thoroughly and think carefully before using a light destined for the USA market which isn't also ADR approved.

Spydar
27-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks Corey. I am aware of the regulation differences and the Australian requirements for HID cars. Thats why I mentioned these could run on halogen bulbs only. I posted so others could have a read and see what aftermarket options are out there for us guys who didn't opt for Xenons but are liking the new tear drop DRL's. May not be suitable at the moment (LHD only), but nice to know that there are people making these products so we can look with interest.

SMOK3Y
28-07-2011, 05:17 AM
Hi,
Stumbled across some posts over at VWVortex about these non-genuine headlamp units. They are cars fitted with Halogen units...to give the look of the xenon unit with LED DRL's.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

I've been in touch with the guy in the states who is importing these over and he said that low beam is actually a H7 HID bulb, and the high beam is a halogen H7, but he said there shouldnt be an issue with making both Halogen. However the big issue for us with RHD cars is they are built for LHD. They have the e-code beam pattern so the lights may blind oncoming traffic if you drive on the RH side. I am asking if RHD versions will be available soon.

Here they are fitted...
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

You can read more on the post here:
VWVortex.com - For the mk6 Halogen Headlight people: (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5296588-For-the-mk6-Halogen-Headlight-people)

Ian
if we could get these in RHD im in :)

Dynamic Locks
28-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Yiooo

Have now upgraded all my lights :)

Relevant to this thread:

Low beam- in crystal vision (as above), love them!
DRL/ hi beam- with the covers, great upgrade, not perfect but better than orange and get a lot of comments on them!
Parkers- in LED, awesome :) no error, bright white ( almost make my crystals look yellow now, ha)

Back lights and interior done too but that is a different thread.... Hehe!

Just wondering where you got the canbus parkers......bought a few different suposedly error free T10 LEDS but coloured, all not working and coming up with error..

Dazz

SMOK3Y
01-08-2011, 07:57 AM
hey all cant find in manual but what globe is high beam on a halogen VI golf? as i just upgraded the main beam to 90+ halogens but want to upgrade just highbeam to HIDs for long trips i do trips bris to adel & bris to mackay etc atleast a few times a yr.

Corey_R
01-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure if the OEM make and model of the high beam is answered, but suitable replacements are answered in this thread, so have a read through.

As for changing to HID's, since that's illegal in Australia, the discussion is in another thread. As per The MK6 Index Thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/official-mk6-forum-important-threads-posts-index-**look-here-first**-59253.html), there is the http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/change-standard-headlight-headlamp-xenon-hid-upgrade-40198.html thread

SMOK3Y
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Ya i just want highbeams hid id never put hids in a reflector lowbeam. I would (and have) in projectors but as its just highbeam im not too worried :-) thanks for help corey

moped899
04-08-2011, 11:28 PM
I finally got hold of the blue covers direct from Xtec to fit over the H15 bulbs. Definitely a change from the original yellowish look. It is like a cobalt blue colour to give a xenon look... great for the city, but I wouldn't recommend these to folk who may be doing country driving as they actually reduce the amount of light output of the high beams.

TeamCrash
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Hi all,

Has everyone purchased all the blubs and covers from ebay or is there a store now supplying them here in Australia???

7R
03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I'll ask the same question TeamCrash asked on the xenon thread... I have a 2011 GTI and I want to replace the halogen globes with better performing halogen globes for both low and high beam. I do not want to put blue covers on anything - just better performance, probably cool the colour temp slightly and still comply with road safety laws and manufacturers warranty. Also want to buy from Australia if possible.

So which globe for the low, which for the high to achieve the above? I read this whole thread but am not closer to understanding which would be best for my situation. H11? H7? H15?

thanks

frozze
03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I could be wrong, but doesn't H11, H7, H15 refers to the type of bulb fitting? Like household bulbs with ES or BC type.

So which globe for the low, which for the high to achieve the above? I read this whole thread but am not closer to understanding which would be best for my situation. H11? H7? H15?

TeamCrash
03-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Frozze & GTi11.5,

I am no expert but from what I have read they are just the bulb type. H7 is the parker (I think) and H15 is the High beam....

Lams
03-10-2011, 02:08 PM
H15 is also the DRL... and nobody makes an aftermarket H15 yet.
H7 is low beam, plenty of aftermarket products for those!

TeamCrash
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
So what does everyone recommend for replacements???

Philips Xtreme Vision
Philips Crystal Vision
OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER PLUS

I'm not after the full blind the on-coming cars but definitely what a clearer and whiter look close to xenon as possible...

azn_007
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
i have had crystal vision and night breaker plus, have to say night breaker is one of the high output h7 blubs i have ever used suppose to have longer life too. However i have had flashes from oncoming traffic from the night breakers hence i have lowered the aim of the beam ever since.

TeamCrash
05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
i have had crystal vision and night breaker plus, have to say night breaker is one of the high output h7 blubs i have ever used suppose to have longer life too. However i have had flashes from oncoming traffic from the night breakers hence i have lowered the aim of the beam ever since.

So is that because they are more whitish in colour or just aimed wrongly? Also why did you change from the crystal vision???

azn_007
05-10-2011, 10:22 PM
night breakers definitely penetrate further and is considerably brighter then crystal visions and due to the whiteness of crystal visions its really quite bad in the rain in my experience. As for aim i guess the night breaker were too bright for the level i set my crystal visions at.

frozze
05-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Which one do you reckon had a more "xenon" look to it??

night breakers definitely penetrate further and is considerably brighter then crystal visions and due to the whiteness of crystal visions its really quite bad in the rain in my experience. As for aim i guess the night breaker were too bright for the level i set my crystal visions at.

TeamCrash
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM

Interesting...

So does anyone know anything about PIAA bulbs?

mfl
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
I installed the Nightbreaker Plus, for about 12 months ago now, and they are brighter than the standard bulbs, but I actually expected a greater difference. One has just blown, so I don't know if 12 months is exactly longer life, or my one is just an odd one out.

I also had people flash at me, but I think what confuses people is the drl's are still on with the normal beams, giving the impression that you have high beams on, as 2 lights are visible in each headlight unit (if you get what I mean). I have found some cars with xenons to be much more distracting to on-coming traffic that the light output from the Osrams.

TeamCrash
06-10-2011, 11:22 AM
12 Months is not long at all!

SMOK3Y
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM
I installed the Nightbreaker Plus, for about 12 months ago now, and they are brighter than the standard bulbs, but I actually expected a greater difference. One has just blown, so I don't know if 12 months is exactly longer life, or my one is just an odd one out.

I also had people flash at me, but I think what confuses people is the drl's are still on with the normal beams, giving the impression that you have high beams on, as 2 lights are visible in each headlight unit (if you get what I mean). I have found some cars with xenons to be much more distracting to on-coming traffic that the light output from the Osrams.
that must only be the GTIs then as my parkers are only on not the DRL bulbs when headlights are on

mfl
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
that must only be the GTIs then as my parkers are only on not the DRL bulbs when headlights are on

Might be, The GTI use a dual-filament H15 bulb for the high beam and drl. Only found out because I was looking to upgrade the high beam as well, but only oem available, unless that's changed recently.

frozze
06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
mfl, would you personally recommend (use) the nightbreakers (again) after a year of using it?

mfl
06-10-2011, 02:47 PM
mfl, would you personally recommend (use) the nightbreakers (again) after a year of using it?

Hi Frozze,

yes I would, I liked the white light they gave out , but I noticed that Philips have a slightly stronger globe in the Philips X-treme Vision H7 (they are road legal in the EU). So I might give them a try,

Powerbulbs,have all the info, its were I bought the Osrams from (NEW Philips X-treme Vision H7 from Power Bulbs | Free Worldwide Delivery (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192))

frozze
06-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Is it safe to assume that all these bulbs (philips, osrams etc) are legal in Aust?

Thanks for the link!

Hi Frozze,

yes I would, I liked the white light they gave out , but I noticed that Philips have a slightly stronger globe in the Philips X-treme Vision H7 (they are road legal in the EU). So I might give them a try,

Powerbulbs,have all the info, its were I bought the Osrams from (NEW Philips X-treme Vision H7 from Power Bulbs | Free Worldwide Delivery (http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=192))

mfl
06-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Is it safe to assume that all these bulbs (philips, osrams etc) are legal in Aust?

Thanks for the link!

I am sure there a more experts on here than me, some of the H7s are tagged as EU approved + as oem replacements and others are for 'off-road' use only.

therefore I assume that if tagged as oem replacements and EU legal, then shouldn't be an issue with ADRs, but I am no expert.

TeamCrash
06-10-2011, 04:34 PM
So I have order a set of Philips H7 CystalVision Ultra

I'll see how these go and if no good I'll put my standard ones back in...

Tiggy1
06-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi,
live in the bush and am looking at getting Nudge Bar (ECB 76mm) and extra driving lights on my 147TSI. Does anyone know if there are tricks to fitting extra lights (compatability issues with CAN-bus etc)? Also, has anyone found a switch (genuine or non) that will fit in original console where spare spots are (thinking of one in front of gearshifter between Traction Control and Tyre Monitoring System Reset switches)?
Cheers

frozze
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Keep us posted with your findings!

Where did you order them from?

So I have order a set of Philips H7 CystalVision Ultra

I'll see how these go and if no good I'll put my standard ones back in...

TeamCrash
07-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Keep us posted with your findings!

Where did you order them from?

I actually ordered them off Amazon

Captain Courteous
11-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I changed my headlights over to Philips X-Treme Vision +100.. I was considering HID’s (my previous car had HID’s standard.. I miss the brightness of them..) but yeah couldn’t justify the cost.. Well for a standard TSI anyways..

I’ve had them on over a few nights now, they’re great! The light reaches further down the road than before.. The width of the beam is improved as well..

I highly recommend X-Treme +100 to anyone wanting an improvement over the standard bulbs. I chose them because:

-100% legal
-Whiter light
-Doesn’t kill the eyes of oncoming drivers
-Cheaper upgrade over HID’s.. I got mine from an auto-elec mate.. I’ve been told retail they’re well under $100
-The pack also includes a pair of matching, whiter park light bulbs.. I used those for my number plates instead (park light and plate lights use the same bulb) It looks 10 times better than the yellowish ones that were there originally.. Light up the plate nicely!

For anyone interested, make sure you get the H7 bulb size for the Golf..

justin
12-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I just ordered Philips Crystal Vision (for low beam) and NOKYA USA H8 Artic White (for fog lights). :)
Guess I'm stuck with the high beam/DRL H15 OEM's for now...

nat225
12-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I changed my headlights over to Philips X-Treme Vision +100.. I was considering HID’s (my previous car had HID’s standard.. I miss the brightness of them..) but yeah couldn’t justify the cost.. Well for a standard TSI anyways..

I’ve had them on over a few nights now, they’re great! The light reaches further down the road than before.. The width of the beam is improved as well..

I highly recommend X-Treme +100 to anyone wanting an improvement over the standard bulbs. I chose them because:

-100% legal
-Whiter light
-Doesn’t kill the eyes of oncoming drivers
-Cheaper upgrade over HID’s.. I got mine from an auto-elec mate.. I’ve been told retail they’re well under $100
-The pack also includes a pair of matching, whiter park light bulbs.. I used those for my number plates instead (park light and plate lights use the same bulb) It looks 10 times better than the yellowish ones that were there originally.. Light up the plate nicely!

For anyone interested, make sure you get the H7 bulb size for the Golf..

i got mine through eBay UK, around AU$50 delivered. local retailers can price it up whatever they want, some people who need the bulbs urgently or don't care about prices will buy them.

PHILIPS H7 X-TREME VISION 100% XTREME H7 CAR BULBS NEW | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-H7-X-TREME-VISION-100-XTREME-H7-CAR-BULBS-NEW-/360361442423?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e7373c77)

I just ordered Philips Crystal Vision (for low beam) and NOKYA USA H8 Artic White (for fog lights). :)
Guess I'm stuck with the high beam/DRL H15 OEM's for now...

i used phillips crystal vision 10 years ago, but they were not bright enough, took them off after a week.

in fact, any halogen bulbs in the same wattage with blue tinted glass will NOT give good luminance unless you go with 100w bulbs + relay cable set (in non VAGCOM cars only). i have tried: phillips blue vision, crystal vision, PIAA extreme white, etc..

Phillips Xtreme Vision is by far the best and brightest halogen upgrade for a mk6 imo.

7R
12-01-2012, 07:04 PM
i got mine through eBay UK, around AU$50 delivered. local retailers can price it up whatever they want, some people who need the bulbs urgently or don't care about prices will buy them.

PHILIPS H7 X-TREME VISION 100% XTREME H7 CAR BULBS NEW | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-H7-X-TREME-VISION-100-XTREME-H7-CAR-BULBS-NEW-/360361442423?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e7373c77)

i used phillips crystal vision 10 years ago, but they were not bright enough, took them off after a week.

in fact, any halogen bulbs in the same wattage with blue tinted glass will NOT give good luminance unless you go with 100w bulbs + relay cable set (in non VAGCOM cars only). i have tried: phillips blue vision, crystal vision, PIAA extreme white, etc..

Phillips Xtreme Vision is by far the best and brightest halogen upgrade for a mk6 imo.

Photos? Please??

nat225
12-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Photos? Please??

the bulb??
it's the previous model, phillips x-treme power.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/5283432923_4d895a42b4_z-1.jpg

normal halogen always looks 'whiter' on iphone, xenon looks 'blue / purple' on iphone

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/5284031938_47073abba9_z-1.jpg

7R
13-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Nice - thanks, just what I was looking for in terms of upgrading my own lights.

Captain Courteous
13-01-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/5284031938_47073abba9_z-1.jpg

Hey mate.. Did you have any trouble changing your park lights?? For the TSI, the space is restricted.. There's not much room to get your hand or pliers in there.. Also the circle of the indicator 'chamber' partly intrudes where the bulb sits.. Yay

I reckon I got two choices:
1. Remove the whole headlight assembly (not sure how how many clips/screws are securing it from the bottom)
2. Remove the engine components that sit behind the headlights (ie air filter etc..)

frozze
13-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Has anyone tried these Philips Ultinon LED parkers yet? They have different temp to match 6700k, 6000k and 4200k.

PHILIPS T10 W5W 6700K XENON WHITE ULTINON LED PARKER | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-T10-W5W-6700K-XENON-WHITE-ULTINON-LED-PARKER-/120764619477?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1e21dad5)

They're a bit pricey for LEDs!

bull
17-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi to a helper.
I cannot remove the globe from the globe holder, i can assure you that i have tried.
The book says to pull straight out, or if applicable push the catch on the bulb holder.
My wife has helped , the catch needs to be pushed in , while the bulb is pulled out, and no success.
The bulb has broken and it seems that the holder is also broken.

All previous posters have said that replacing the bulb is so easy, so what is wrong with me, maybe it is age, i am well into the retirement age.

Maybe it is simple so please help me if you can. Thanks from Graham.

PS. I can't do it tomorrow morning because i am playing bowls with all the pensioners at Swansea.

AdamD
18-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Possibly worth taking the car into your local dealer to have them demonstrate? And if there is anything broken or fused, they can rectify it at the same time. Better that than you inadvertently doing damage to the light housing.

frozze
18-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Has anyone tried these Philips Ultinon LED parkers yet? They have different temp to match 6700k, 6000k and 4200k.

PHILIPS T10 W5W 6700K XENON WHITE ULTINON LED PARKER | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PHILIPS-T10-W5W-6700K-XENON-WHITE-ULTINON-LED-PARKER-/120764619477?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1e21dad5)

They're a bit pricey for LEDs!

No one has tried this?

bull
18-01-2012, 08:12 PM
Well i have worked out that i am the problem.

Instead of working on the low beam I was trying to separate the high beam light bulb, and have found out it is one piece, the bulb with the holder.
The high beam globe unit cost $71.75 as i stuffed it up trying to separate it. It has been an expensive exercise, but i think i am still learning although it is costly.

I can now agree that the low beam globes are easy to change except for a little blood from my hands.

Getting older is a problem but the alternative is not too good.

I enjoy reading all the posts about the VW Golf.

Thanks

Lucas_R
18-01-2012, 08:42 PM
I've previously seen these and considered them briefly.....but they are very expensive and aren't canbus compatible so will throw an error on your dash.

No one has tried this?

frozze
18-01-2012, 09:54 PM
I've previously seen these and considered them briefly.....but they are very expensive and aren't canbus compatible so will throw an error on your dash.

Didn't know parkers needed Canbus LED bulbs. I'm currently using some cheap eBay "canbus" LED on for my parkers and I have no problems..

Captain Courteous
30-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Hey mate.. Did you have any trouble changing your park lights?? For the TSI, the space is restricted.. There's not much room to get your hand or pliers in there.. Also the circle of the indicator 'chamber' partly intrudes where the bulb sits.. Yay

I reckon I got two choices:
1. Remove the whole headlight assembly (not sure how how many clips/screws are securing it from the bottom)
2. Remove the engine components that sit behind the headlights (ie air filter etc..)

Hey Guys,

Just an update on this (to anyone needing to change their park lights) I ended up removing the whole headlight from the car to get access to the globes.

I’ve circled the parts I was talking about before that block access to the park light chamber:

Drivers side:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/IMG00705201201291557-1.jpg

Passenger side:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/IMG00713201201291819-1.jpg

Even once I had the headlight in my lap, armed with long nose pliers, it still took a bit of force to disconnect the holder from the plastic bay:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/IMG00715201201291820-1.jpg

All that just to change the bulbs! There surely must be an easier way to do this without having to remove the whole light.. I couldn’t find one since the space was so restricted..

Suggestions anyone?

...BTW kudos to Spydar & SMOK3Y for their posts in the HID upgrade thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/change-standard-headlight-headlamp-xenon-hid-upgrade-40198-22.html) the info helped tremendously when I was removing the lights, so thanks guys!

GolfR
24-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if this can be done or not but I'm looking in replacing my fog light bulb to the LED, can this be done without Canbus Leds and would 68 be suffice or should I get the 120 SMD 9006 leds?

Cheers,

Pullstarter
15-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Hey Guys,
Just picked up some Philips Diamond Vision bulbs and can't for the life of me figure out how you're supposed to change the passenger side low beam bulb?!?!?! Do I need to take the headlight out? Is there any DIYs around anywhere on this? I did a search but couldn't find any. Any help GREATLY appreciated, going mental!

Cheers
Simon

Captain Courteous
15-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Hey mate.. I had the same dramas when I changed my beams and park lights.. Post here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/headlight-drl-driving-park-light-bulb-replacement-37426-15.html#post770063

I ended up removing the lights altogether.. There was no room to get my hands in there otherwise!

Pullstarter
15-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info guys :)

Sharka_GTI
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Might be, The GTI use a dual-filament H15 bulb for the high beam and drl. Only found out because I was looking to upgrade the high beam as well, but only oem available, unless that's changed recently.

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 MK6 GTI and I was looking at changing the headlights and the fog lights to a whiter light.

How many different globes do I need to get?

- Daytime Running Lights
- Low Beam
- High Beam
- Fog Light
- Parking lights (when you lift your indicator once the car is off to leave a light on?)

Sorry for sounding so dumb, but ive read through the thread and the model numbers for each style of light confuse me.

Please let me know what my options are?

Domz
27-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Hey Guys

After 5 years of procrastination, finally picked up my first GTI on Friday! Best thing since sliced bread...

But anyway, unfortunately I got Halogens with standard bulbs which have to go -

1. In my past 3 cars I got Philips Crystal vision - anyone have any opinions or better options?
2. How easy is it to change the bulb yourself?

Tried to do random searches but haven't found too much. :cookie:

walbjj
27-05-2012, 08:28 PM
i find the stock bulbs to be fine. i had an s2000 for 7 years and the xenons on those were unbelievable, so im sure the xenon options for these would be great as well.
im interested in bulb upgrades as well, but wont bother with the hid upgrade as its illegal

team_v
27-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Osram Rallye's are great for me.

mr gee
28-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Osram Rallye's are great for me.

Yeah, the Rallyes are quite bright but I find their beam pattern rather patchy.

My favourites are Philips range of Xtreme power or Xtreme vision bulbs

jeeteeay
28-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Replaced My factory HID bulbs to Phillips 6000K (bought it from CheapCarParts.com.au (http://www.cheapcarparts.com.au) for $75 delivered) and MTEC H8 4350K Foglights.

It took less than 10 minutes....:)

DO NOT remove the bumper or headlight to replace the passenger side HID Bulb like US forum said....you can have an access from the well wheels...just turn the wheel to the right..remove 2 screws on well wheels... and you can remove the bulb from there.

Good luck!! :)

andrew7
28-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Any photos jeeteeay? To confirm did you initially have halogens or bi-xenons (presume the former)?

jeeteeay
28-05-2012, 03:06 PM
My factory HID bulbs = BI-XENON

No photo taken....but from my post....its easy job, once you remove 2 screws from the well wheels (turn the steering wheels to the right), you can easily access the passenger bulb from underneath. For halogen bulb, you can access from the engine compartment, as the bulb (H7) is smaller and doesn't have built in ballast as D1S (HID bulb/bi-xenon).

to replace the foglights bulb (H8) How to: MK6 GTI Fog Light Installation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR_3n1bijec)

good luck! :)

andrew7
29-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Taken the plunge, have ordered Philips X-Treme Vision H7 headlights (came with free Osram bulbs for sidelight/numberplate) and MTEC H8 35W Super White Fogs (thanks jeeteeay for the tip). Grand total $90. Now for my GTI to arrive (approx 2 weeks)...

Pullstarter
29-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I use Philips diamond visions 5300k and love em. Second car I've had them on now and they give off a really white light.

andrew7
29-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Pullstarter, do you self install? If so, any tricks/tips to replace the headlight? (have the fog light instal sorted)

Pullstarter
29-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Umm its very tight but doable, find someone with small hands i.e. not me lol.

solo72
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
im looking at installing hid on my mk5 with projector headlights and would like to know what is the colour of the golf r hid colour is it 4300k or 6000k , im going to install Genuine PHILIPS H7 6000K or 4300k Xenon 35W HID CANBUS Conversion Kit
can any body tell me please:confused:

jeeteeay
12-06-2012, 04:57 PM
its 4300K.

Big Jase
23-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys,
I was looking to upgrade my Golf GTI Lights and have realised that they are H15's, and the only upgrade I can find are these....

H15 BULB SUPER WHITE UPGRADE KIT - PAIR | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/H15-BULB-SUPER-WHITE-UPGRADE-KIT-PAIR-/400300959439?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26o tn%3D5%26pmod%3D190613326961%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1 09869524268073436)

Do these seem a bit dodgey? I am not sure what temperatures the driving lights get up to and I don't want these to melt!

I want to also upgrade my fog lights, apparently I can get them changed to more of a whiteish colour. I will have to look on EBAY, as no shows seem to stock them, and retailers want to charge something like $140 for Phillips ones!

Does anyone have some suggestions? Are the foggies easy to change?

Lucas_R
23-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I remember seeing (a while ago now) a thread of someone on here who was using these covers for the headlight bulbs on a Mk6 GTi, because of the lack of aftermarket bulbs. They worked well and made the colour of the lights considerably more white.

Big Jase
23-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Okay, Cool thanks for that

Jamar
24-06-2012, 06:53 PM
I saw some photos on a US site and the lights looked very blue in the day. If anyone on this site has these, it would be great to see some pics of the DRLs during the day, lights off and high beam at night.

Tobes_WIR35
06-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I want to also upgrade my fog lights, apparently I can get them changed to more of a whiteish colour. I will have to look on EBAY, as no shows seem to stock them, and retailers want to charge something like $140 for Phillips ones!

Does anyone have some suggestions? Are the foggies easy to change?

The fog lamps are H8 type, and very easy to swap over - there is a little access panel inside the wheel arch. I have swapped mine for H8 LED lamps. They have a total of 102 LED's in each lamp (SMD chip). In terms of lumen output I would say they're roughly similar to the 35w Halogens, but due to the high colour temperature they stand out in traffic making the car more visible for safety reasons. I would say they are somewhere around 5000-6000k colour temp. The only problem is they will trigger a "fault" message on your MDI, as there is no resistive short circuit in the LED lamp, and a very low current, to the diagnostics it looks like an open circuit (blown lamp).

I can't remember how much they were but it was only like $10 per lamp, from HK or China. The quality of them is generally inconsistent so I bought 6 of them just in case, but I haven't had any fail yet after a few months.

btuned
07-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Hey guys, im looking to replace my stock bulbs with something a bit brighter and white (leaning towards blue) on my 90 tsi. Ive had a quick read and have seen that HID's done work particularly well with the fittings on my car so taking a look around for a nice bulb to use.

What would you guys recommend for a nice bright white (and legal) h7 bulb that also has a slight bluish tinge to it like hids?

It seems that the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000k would be a good choice for what im looking for but anything else others can recommend?

nat225
08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
if u want to see better at night, avoid bulbs with heavy blue tint, ie: Diamond Vision.

use Phillips Xtreme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker Plus if u want proper legal halogen brightness at night for designed for human being eyes.

Hey guys, im looking to replace my stock bulbs with something a bit brighter and white (leaning towards blue) on my 90 tsi. Ive had a quick read and have seen that HID's done work particularly well with the fittings on my car so taking a look around for a nice bulb to use.

What would you guys recommend for a nice bright white (and legal) h7 bulb that also has a slight bluish tinge to it like hids?

It seems that the Phillips Diamond Vision 5000k would be a good choice for what im looking for but anything else others can recommend?

Domz
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Just installed Crystal Visions 4300k - never fails me, used it for all my cars...

BUT THE DAMN PARKERS! Managed to get one out, but the passenger one could not do! Will have to visit VW Service.

Tobes_WIR35
08-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Anything with a "tint" will actually reduce the efficacy of the lamp (yes efficacy, not efficiency...lol) halogen's natural out put is in the order of 3000k unless it is mixed with various types of gases which can make it higher in the spectrum without losing efficacy. Usually not much higher than 3500k.

In other words, buying a halogen lamp any higher than 3500k generally means it's putting out less light as it will have some sort of filter on it (usually blue).

LED and HID lamps, however, can be innately designed to operate at a nominal colour temperature without reducing efficacy, and in most cases, their efficacy increases, for example a 6000k LED will generally give out more lumens per watt than a 3000k

btuned
09-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Just installed Crystal Visions 4300k - never fails me, used it for all my cars...

BUT THE DAMN PARKERS! Managed to get one out, but the passenger one could not do! Will have to visit VW Service.

How bright are the crystal visions compared to stock?

Domz
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
How bright are the crystal visions compared to stock?

Personally I think they are pretty much the same, but a white light... they are just borderline to losing brightness to have the 'blue' look... So end of the day I wouldn't say you are worse off brightness wise.

btuned
09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Hmm i see. I might try out the crystal vision ultras then. I quite like the blueish tinge + white look and if its about the same as stock should be fine as i do mostly urban driving anyway.

Domz
09-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Hmm i see. I might try out the crystal vision ultras then. I quite like the blueish tinge + white look and if its about the same as stock should be fine as i do mostly urban driving anyway.

wouldnt say its bluish, but as white as you can get

btuned
09-07-2012, 11:35 AM
wouldnt say its bluish, but as white as you can get

Yeh that sounds good. Where did you get yours from? I've managed to source some from Amazon for $33 shipped.

Domz
09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Yeh that sounds good. Where did you get yours from? I've managed to source some from Amazon for $33 shipped.

some joint on ebay, tried to avoid fakies so paid about $50... still less than half price retail in AUS.

btuned
09-07-2012, 10:39 PM
some joint on ebay, tried to avoid fakies so paid about $50... still less than half price retail in AUS.

kool any dramas with installing?

Domz
10-07-2012, 09:08 AM
no real problems, just a matter of getting your hands in there and turning the dial to release the light. See your manual.

The parkers are so impossible, only could move one out - so left them both as the yellow type until i got see VW.

Captain Courteous
10-07-2012, 09:51 AM
The parkers are impossible.. Unless you have small hands lol..

I had to remove the whole headlight unit out to get to mine (see here) (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/headlight-drl-driving-park-light-bulb-replacement-37426-15.html#post770063)

Save yourself some coin and try and do it yourself..

Domz
10-07-2012, 10:49 AM
yeah so impossible, i did the driver side a few times - put in the new, took it out to put back to stock. but the passenger was impossible just pulling twisting with no luck.

Tobes_WIR35
10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
To be honest, I think the warm halogen light looks more luxurious and stylish. I can't really go down that road with a bright red Adidas edition GTI....lol

cru22z
20-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Guys,
I have the oem bixenon head and led tail light.
Do u guys know if the reverse light is also LED?
I can't seem to see any bulbs through the tail lamp
assembly

Tobes_WIR35
21-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Guys,
I have the oem bixenon head and led tail light.
Do u guys know if the reverse light is also LED?
I can't seem to see any bulbs through the tail lamp
assembly

I'm pretty sure it's incandescent

Domz
24-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Quick one - what size are the number plate light bulbs? not looking to get an LED conversion, just the LED type bulbs.
Are they 35mm or 39mm?

Pullstarter
24-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Just be aware that you'll get a bulb out error by using normal leds. I believe it can be coded out tho?

On another side note, when I first got the car I tried leds in the parker lights and got the dreaded bulb out error. I recently put them back in again as a friend now has vagcom and was going to code out the error for me. However, the bulb out error didn't come up. Would this be something to do with my APR tune? That's the only thing that's changed electronics wise since I last tried the leds.

AdamD
24-07-2012, 02:03 PM
Just be aware that you'll get a bulb out error by using normal leds. I believe it can be coded out tho?

You can't make code changes for LED numberplate lights, that we're aware of at this stage. You need to fit resistors to eat up the remaining current if you want to fit LEDs and prevent the warning light from being thrown.

On another side note, when I first got the car I tried leds in the parker lights and got the dreaded bulb out error. I recently put them back in again as a friend now has vagcom and was going to code out the error for me. However, the bulb out error didn't come up. Would this be something to do with my APR tune? That's the only thing that's changed electronics wise since I last tried the leds.

Completely unrelated.

Ozram
24-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Quick one - what size are the number plate light bulbs? not looking to get an LED conversion, just the LED type bulbs.
Are they 35mm or 39mm?

Domz, they are 39mm from memory. I bought some from Autoslick which were complete light units including resistors. No bulb out error. See here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f167/slickonline-now-live-74344.html
Here for just the globe and how to fit your own resistor http://www.my-gti.com/1053/upgrading-the-number-plate-lights-to-led-on-the-volkswagen-golf-jetta-gti-r32-rabbit-and-passat

I believe it can only be coded if you have a highline Central Electrics Control Module that has a part number ending in 87.

Pullstarter
24-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Completely unrelated.

It's a mystery then....................

I got a complete unit including a resistor box etc from here:

VW Golf Mark 5 Mark 6 MKV MKVI Super White High Power LED License Plate Assembly | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Golf-Mark-5-Mark-6-MKV-MKVI-Super-White-High-Power-LED-License-Plate-Assembly-/261069030392?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc8ed43f8)

Good quality and no issues.

HansMoleman
25-07-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi all,

Ive had a quick read through all the pages in this thread but could not find it mentioned.

Has anyone tried these LED DRL's? They are available on ebay but cant link ebay as at work.

2012 Car-specific Vw Golf6 Gti Gti Led Drl,Led Daytime Running Light - Buy Vw Golf6 Gti Led Daytime Running Light,Vw Golf6 Gti Led Drl,Vw Golf6 Gti Led Drl Product on Alibaba.com (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/534752455/2012_CAR_Specific_VW_Golf6_GTI.html)

Thoughs on these? Cheers all

vspec2
29-07-2012, 08:35 AM
I just put in the parker Led's that Pullstarter gave me (thx buddy!) and no bulb out error.

Pullstarter
29-07-2012, 11:36 AM
i just put in the parker led's that pullstarter gave me (thx buddy!) and no bulb out error.

win!! :D

HansMoleman
01-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Ive had a quick read through all the pages in this thread but could not find it mentioned.

Has anyone tried these LED DRL's? They are available on ebay but cant link ebay as at work.

2012 Car-specific Vw Golf6 Gti Gti Led Drl,Led Daytime Running Light - Buy Vw Golf6 Gti Led Daytime Running Light,Vw Golf6 Gti Led Drl,Vw Golf6 Gti Led Drl Product on Alibaba.com (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/534752455/2012_CAR_Specific_VW_Golf6_GTI.html)

Thoughs on these? Cheers all

Just a bump.

Anyone seen these before?

shaguar
16-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey guys,

I own a 118tsi mk6 golf that I am looking to upgrade the lightbulbs (main,drl, fog/cornering, high beam) with something like Phillips extreme vision. Any ideas on bulb sizes and suggestions on where to get bulbs from?

Cheers :)

Back Door Shenanigans.
17-08-2012, 01:37 AM
VOLKSWAGEN (AUS) GOLF MK 6 (2009 onwards) Car Headlight Bulbs | PowerBulbs (http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/vehicles/cars/australia/volkswagen-aus/golf-mk-6/2009-onwards/car-headlight-bulbs)

Used them before never been dissapointed.

btuned
09-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Quick questions guys. Do the w5w bulbs from powerbulbs give an error when installed to the parking lights?

laggster
10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Guys,
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place and or revived an ancient thread.
Just thought I'd share my experience with changing my low beam bulbs.

I grabbed a pair of H7 Osram Night Breakers from PowerBulbs.
They arried in a little cardboard box with a big red FRAGILE sticker on it.

I thought I'd try a practise run of getting the bulb holders out of the head lamp assemblies to see how I'd go.
Just to get familiar with the procedure.

Driver's side, pretty hard to unlock the first time, now it locks and unlocks without much force.

Passengers side ... seemed impossible to unlock the first time. There was so little room, I had to remove the fuse box cover to get my unco hands in a workable position. Even still, I struggled to get it unlocked.

After it popped open, I tried locking it back in ... :eek: it's so cramped, I couldn't get enough rotational force on it to lock it into place. A good 10 minutes and a shredded and bruised right arm later, I managed to lock it into place.

I can see why people are removing the headlight assemblies from the car.
I'm not even going to attempt the parkers :P

And so I tried swapping the bulbs out, making sure I didn't get my grubby fingers on the glass.

Driver's side was nice and quick. Passenger's side involved more mangling and further struggles to lock into place.

But now they're in! and they turn on! :banana:

Last night, I tried taking photos of the beam they threw compared to the stock bulbs, but I only had my phone on me at the time and the pictures came out absolutely rubbish. The phone couldn't even see the difference in colour. To the human eye, they're a little more white compared to the factory bulb.

[Nerd Hat On] :emo_baghead:

Having a closer look at the bulbs, you can see the Night Breaker Plus bulb filament has more windings than the factory bulb. The windings also look smoother, the factory bulbs looks rather rough in comparasion. The glass is also tinted in the areas not directly next to the filament.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/Bulbs-1.jpg

Even the print on the back of the bulbs is different. With the Night Breaker looking scruffier.
Main differences I can see is the model numbers, 64210L vs 64210NBP and the lack of "DOT" on the Night Breaker Bulb.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/11/BulbsMount-1.jpg

[Nerd hat off]

Tonight will be the first night behind the wheel with the new bulbs in.
I'll wonder how much of a difference over the factory bulbs there will be.

Thanks for reading :biggrin:

Diesel_vert
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Having a closer look at the bulbs, you can see the Night Breaker Plus bulb filament has more windings than the factory bulb.

The upside is that the beam is more focused and intense, but this can adversely affect durability. There's no free lunch in physics!

The windings also look smoother, the factory bulbs looks rather rough in comparison.

That's normal as the bulb wears out.

The glass is also tinted in the areas not directly next to the filament.

Any sort of tint (e.g. blue tint) will reduce total light output. By leaving a gap, this ensures light output is not reduced whilst making the light appear whiter.

Main differences I can see is the model numbers, 64210L vs 64210NBP and the lack of "DOT" on the Night Breaker Bulb.

As long as the bulb has an E-mark (European approval based on ECE regulations), it can be used on public roads in Australia.

The U.S. Department of Transport (DOT) marking is not relevant here (or in Europe), but given the amount of vehicles sold in the U.S. it would make less sense for VW to use different bulbs for each market (adds inventory costs at the factory).

shaguar
13-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey everyone,

Was looking to upgrade my lights to something whiter.

Any reccomendations?

What are the bulb sizes to get for drl, main and cornering lights? Also from where?

Thanks for your help :)

Aoife
19-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Hey Everyone,

Looking at changing low beam and side lights on my golf GTI and considering X-treme vision or Nightbreakers globes.

1) Given there is no aftermarket H15's, which of the 2 would be the closest match to stock H15?

2) If I went for the X-treme vision or Nightbreakers, what would be a good match for the park lights?

Cheers

Aoife
22-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Ended up going the x-treme vision but have hit a bit of a hurdle.

The side lights are H8's on the golf MK VI not the HB4's that are shown on powerbulbs website. It appears the HB4's are used on the MK V.

Kinda my own fault, should have checked the globes before I ordered :facepalm:

Anyone want some cheap HB4's for their MK V ROFL.

GTD Dubber
04-05-2013, 01:09 PM
I have been searching for over an hour for a post I saw regarding swapping the OEM bulbs that come on the car with ones that look the same 'colour' as the bi xenon 'white'. I would like to change the yellow colour light from the bulb, in the foglights, with a more matching white colour of the xenon. Purely for looks. I dislike the look of the yellow light when I have the headlights on. I am not that techo with the brightness rating and all that stuff just would like some help with what type of bulb, if in fact it is a bulb to get please. Thanks in advance. While I'm at it, is there an orange LED that can replace the blinker bulb? Will it require recoding, if there is one. Thanks again. PS. I wasn't too sure if this was the right place to post.

vdubmotorworx
04-05-2013, 01:53 PM
check out BOLD SPORT mate...

GTD Dubber
04-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Terrific, thanks VDUB

vdubmotorworx
04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
All good... I was going to buy some for my Jetta but decided I would rather buy a GTD! Lol..... just need another 10 grand....

GTD Dubber
05-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks again, VDUB. Found website and ordered fogs and then, front and rear blinkers while I was there. Good choice and luck with the GTD. I haven't regretted it. (I did own a Mk VI TDI manual before the GTD). PS. Thanks for moving this to the correct thread, admin. :)

GTD Dubber
09-05-2013, 06:01 PM
I recently ordered and have had delivered LED blinkers for the front and rear as well as LED foglights. (See the previous few posts for more background). I also have changed my taillights to LED tails about a year ago and had the car recoded to avoid the dashlight coming on. Today, I changed the front blinkers and foglights with no problem at all and no error codes. Now for the issue. I replaced one of the rear blinkers and turned it on and nothing happened, no blinker light. I swapped the LED for the other one and tried again, still no light. Has anyone had the same problem or know what could be the problem, please?

Aoife
09-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Assume you tried the globe both ways around? I didnt know this about LED's before I read about it.

GTD Dubber
09-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I tried it both ways. This is the type of LEDs I bought. NEW Osram Series - LED Turn Signals - Pair (No Error) BSO-T20-11LOC 1 from Bold Sport.

AdamD
10-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I replaced one of the rear blinkers and turned it on and nothing happened, no blinker light. I swapped the LED for the other one and tried again, still no light. Has anyone had the same problem or know what could be the problem, please?

Faulty LEDs? Did you put the original incandescent bulb back and it works fine (eliminating the possibility of a fuse)?

Lucas_R
10-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I tried it both ways. This is the type of LEDs I bought. NEW Osram Series - LED Turn Signals - Pair (No Error) BSO-T20-11LOC 1 from Bold Sport.

Ive got the same ones from Bold Sport in my car and they work fine. I love the instant on/off of the LED light. Perhaps the bulbs you received are faulty? Email them as i had a fitment issue with my front LED indicators and they sent me another set at no cost. So now i have 2x front sets ;)

Are you by chance in Newcastle any time soon? You could try my bulbs in your car?

GTD Dubber
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I might go try the other side and try both leds in that one. I have put the bulb back in and it worked fine. I can't remember now whether I tried both leds in the same socket. If they don't light up, I will email them and see about replacement.
Thanks again guys for the help. Unfortunately, Lucas, my son has moved from Newcastle to Sydney, so I won't be heading to Newcastle anytime soon. Appreciate the offer of trying them in my car though. Heading out to try the other side. Damn pain getting the grey covering off the inside of the boot too. Back shortly, I hope.

GTD Dubber
10-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Success. The problem was a simple fix. I moved the wire away from the edge so it would make contact with the metal piece in the socket. How easy was that. I feel a bit silly not even thinking of that earlier.
See pic. Originally the wire was parallel to the edge of the black section. Thanks again for your replies, inspired me to try again.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/05/photo_zpsbf350e9f-1.jpg

Lucas_R
10-05-2013, 02:41 PM
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/221/borato.jpg

aarunjury
14-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm replacing all my lights at the moment, because like most, I want the whiter colour. However, the only H15 lamps I can find on eBay that are around 4300 kelvin are 35W as opposed to the stock 55W. Will it make that much difference? The only driving I do at night is on suburban roads or the highway... Is it possible to get lamps that are 55W around that 4000k mark?

Fatherless One
14-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Bump this question

aarunjury
16-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Anyone?

Captain Courteous
30-05-2013, 12:52 PM
@aarunjury: Just saw your PM re fog lights.... Sorry for the late reply

I'm using Philips 9006 HB4 Power2Night +50 as my fogs and Philips X-Treme Vision +100 for my headlights

my OP here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/headlight-drl-foglight-park-light-bulb-replacement-37426-13.html#post762447

Hope it helps.

Fatherless One
01-06-2013, 11:41 PM
My mate has a stunning 2 door mk6 GTI, he's seen my new headlight bulbs and wants something similar to get rid of the standard yellow looking lamps.

Low beams no problems (H7's), city lights (W5W) all good, fogs (H8 ) okay, the problems is finding DRL/highbeams (H15) in a nice white colour.

What do you guys recommend?

aarunjury
01-06-2013, 11:44 PM
That's me Fatherless One is referring to, really finding it hard to get white H15's, around 4300k...

Pullstarter
01-06-2013, 11:47 PM
That's me Fatherless One is referring to, really finding it hard to get white H15's, around 4300k...

They don't exist as far as I know, there was a bulb filter kit getting around on ebay but not sure how effective it is.

Alain
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
aarunjury what are you using for city lights? I have 4300k crystal visions all round but my w5w's are not white like the headlights / fog lights...

aarunjury
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Well, I have found on eBay that there are a stack of LED's that fit the W5W. They're super white and match the 4300k-5000k colour temp nicely.

aarunjury
03-06-2013, 04:42 PM
This being said, (I'm too lazy to go in my car and check) is it possible to change my DRL's to the City/Parker lights via MFD or will it require VAGCOM? I have a 2013 GTI...

Alain
03-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Do you have an eBay link? I've tried some LEDs off eBay in the past and they were practically blue.

Also, no I don't believe there is a way to code city lights as DRLs. The only solution I can provide (which is what I do) is disable DRLs altogether.

aarunjury
05-06-2013, 09:41 PM
Is that via VAGCOM still @Alain?

Lucas_R
20-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Just bumping this thread with a DRL/High beam (H15) bulb option for the MK6 Golf with regular headlights.

I found this French company selling a range of different bulbs for the MK6 (and other VW's), and they have the H15 DRL/High Beam (15/55w) replacement bulb in a 5000k output.

I have ordered a set for my MK6 GTI so ill report back on how they look/fit/perform in a week or two once they arrive from France.

Link to H15 bulb: Pack daytime (DRL) and Hi-beam H15 Xenon effect bulbs for Volkswagen Golf 6 (http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-xenon-effects-daytime-drl-and-hibeam-h15-bulbs-for-volkswagen-golf-6-p-5317.html)

Link to all MK6 bulbs: LEDs for Volkswagen Golf 6 (GTD / GTI / TDI / TSI) (http://www.ledperf.co.uk/leds-for-volkswagen-golf-6-gtd-gti-tdi-tsi-=c=-24_220.html)

Shipping was 9.90 euro and you take the tax off the price for international purchases. The cost for the headlight bulbs and shipping was 51 euros (about $75-80 AUD).

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/18/fodj.jpg

AdamD
21-02-2014, 08:19 AM
I found this French company selling a range of different bulbs for the MK6 (and other VW's), and they have the H15 DRL/High Beam (15/55w) replacement bulb in a 5000k output.

I have ordered a set for my MK6 GTI so ill report back on how they look/fit/perform in a week or two once they arrive from France.

Do you know what brand these H15s are? I'm definitely interested to hear what you think of them. If they're decent, I might order a set along with headlight and foglight bulbs to match (but would need to know the H15 brand/model to order properly matching headlights). MTEC Super White?

Aside: I didn't know you had a GTI as well as an R, Lucas! When did you get that?

minke
21-02-2014, 08:50 AM
I'm interested in the throw as well. I find the standard bulbs okish for throw, not as sh&thouse as Japanese manufacturers, but not a whole lot better.

I was unable to specify Xenons at time of purchase.

Lucas_R
21-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Do you know what brand these H15s are? I'm definitely interested to hear what you think of them. If they're decent, I might order a set along with headlight and foglight bulbs to match (but would need to know the H15 brand/model to order properly matching headlights). MTEC Super White?

Aside: I didn't know you had a GTI as well as an R, Lucas! When did you get that?

Not sure of the brand Adam, although this link suggests it might be Michiba Pack of 2 bulbs H15 4000K Diamond White Headlight / Lighthouse (http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-of-2-bulbs-h15-4000k-diamond-white-p-5311.html). This French company sells MTEC/Philips bulbs etc, but i think these H15's might be something else due to the low volumes. I also found a UK ebay seller offering a similar thing: H15 Halogen Bulbs - Ice white, uk stock. DRL/High Beam | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H15-Halogen-Bulbs-Ice-white-uk-stock-DRL-High-Beam-/271388151190?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f2ffe8d96)

Aliexpress also have a few H15 options, but i have never purchased from that site before. Aliexpress.com : Buy Free shipping x2pcs/lot Super white Halogen bulb H15 15/55w High beam&Low beam for VW Golf 6 from Reliable beam suppliers on Qingdao Lima Industrial Co., Ltd. (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-x2pcs-lot-Super-white-Halogen-bulb-H15-15-55w-High-beam-Low-beam-for/109930_1394114836.html)

I got MTEC 4750k foglight bulbs, Philip Diamond Vision 5000k standard beam bulbs (purchased these here in Aust via ebay) and then got the H15 DRL/high beam bulbs in 5000k from LEDPerf. I also got the LED parker lights from the LEDperf to match.

The GTI is a new addition to our household (wife's car) and we got it about a month ago. We sold her 2011 Mazda 3 to a friend (great little car but boring and slow) and got this 2010 GTI for $19,600. It was traded in at my brothers work (Skoda dealer) and we bought it for the trade in price. It's done 55,000km, candy white, manual, tartan seats, tinted windows, reverse camera. No other options. It needed a good detail inside and out, which i have been doing the past few weekends - and it's looking really good now.

Ive already bought a bunch of stuff for it (Golf R LED tails, intake, enquired about a DNA tune etc) :) I cant help myself.

AdamD
22-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Not sure of the brand Adam, although this link suggests it might be Michiba Pack of 2 bulbs H15 4000K Diamond White Headlight / Lighthouse (http://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-of-2-bulbs-h15-4000k-diamond-white-p-5311.html).

Right, assuming the same brand does 4000K and 5000K versions, which is entirely possible.

I got MTEC 4750k foglight bulbs, Philip Diamond Vision 5000k standard beam bulbs (purchased these here in Aust via ebay) and then got the H15 DRL/high beam bulbs in 5000k from LEDPerf. I also got the LED parker lights from the LEDperf to match.

I'll be really interested to see photos with everything installed, and hear your thoughts on colour match, throw, and overall performance!

Got this 2010 GTI for $19,600. It was traded in at my brothers work (Skoda dealer) and we bought it for the trade in price. It's done 55,000km, candy white, manual, tartan seats, tinted windows, reverse camera.

That is a crazy bargain mate - well done. Post some pics in your build thread when you get a chance. :cool:

Lucas_R
24-02-2014, 01:27 PM
That is a crazy bargain mate - well done. Post some pics in your build thread when you get a chance. :cool:

Throwing up some pics and info now into a new build thread. :cool:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f35/my-other-german-fling-mk6-gti-94376.html#post1033459

Lucas_R
27-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Hey Adam - the bulbs arrived today and they are Michiba brand. The label says 5000k but then theres a sticker thats been put over the top that says 4000k. So who knows?!

The blue colour on the bulbs looks a bit lighter than my Philips Diamond Vision's which are 5000k.

I'll pop the bulbs in tomorrow and get some pics.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/02/2a3u9aty-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/02/by6egu7u-1.jpg

SAINIside
28-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Hopefully they don't make the headlights look too blue when turned off! Think they may be OK.

Great find! Look forward to the pics.

AdamD
01-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Hey Adam - the bulbs arrived today and they are Michiba brand. The label says 5000k but then theres a sticker thats been put over the top that says 4000k. So who knows?!

Good guessing on the brand! Definitely keen to see the pics, and how the colour matches in with your Philips 5000ks.

Lucas_R
03-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Hopefully they don't make the headlights look too blue when turned off! Think they may be OK.

Great find! Look forward to the pics.

They do give a blue tinge to the headlights if you look at the right angle. I actually like it though.

Good guessing on the brand! Definitely keen to see the pics, and how the colour matches in with your Philips 5000ks.

They look good - unfortunately one of the bulbs was defective in that it went dull and changed colour not long (like 5 seconds) after turning them on. I pulled the bulb back out and it was all smokey. I assume that particular bulb was either faulty of perhaps damaged somehow in transit. The other bulb was still working fine (but i have removed both for now, reverted back to the stock bulbs and have emailed LEDPerf to ask about getting another one (under warranty i would hope)).

The colour temp looked good. Ive got a few pics but not sure how the old mobile phone captured the colour/brightness.

Bulbs

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/3x2a-1.jpg

Stock bulbs

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/845/0q66.jpg

Burnt/defective bulb (notice the yellow colour)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/40n9-1.jpg

This one is ok

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/03/0mz0-1.jpg

koji
03-03-2014, 10:28 AM
they look good lucas; temp is a good colour too, shame about the defective one...will they replace it free of charge?

Lucas_R
03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
they look good lucas; temp is a good colour too, shame about the defective one...will they replace it free of charge?

I hope so - i have emailed the place where i got them (shop in France).

Im also thinking that the courier guy might have been at fault here.....as the bulbs were under my carport when i got home. My front gate is locked, so the only way for the courier to get the bulbs under my carport would have been to throw them about 5-6m.....yes that's right. So it's entirely possible that the defective bulb was caused by the courier.

koji
03-03-2014, 12:28 PM
I hope so - i have emailed the place where i got them (shop in France).

Im also thinking that the courier guy might have been at fault here.....as the bulbs were under my carport when i got home. My front gate is locked, so the only way for the courier to get the bulbs under my carport would have been to throw them about 5-6m.....yes that's right. So it's entirely possible that the defective bulb was caused by the courier.

wow, discus with your mail! absolutely ridiculous

SAINIside
03-03-2014, 02:59 PM
Yes, definately a pain about the defective globe. Hopefully they send you a new one??

Do you have a pic of the lights turned off? Trying to gauge the 'blueness'.

I like the colour and temp of your low beans too. I have Crystal Vision 4300K, which look great too and I think these 4000k H15s would be a great match (since I've given up trying to source Eds/VACAR black euro headlights!).

Lucas_R
03-03-2014, 03:12 PM
wow, discus with your mail! absolutely ridiculous

It wasn't my normal mailman - as he knows me quite well (too many deliveries haha) and wouldn't have done that. These bulbs came with a courier of some kind (will have to check the box to see if it says who it was).

Lucas_R
03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Yes, definately a pain about the defective globe. Hopefully they send you a new one??

Do you have a pic of the lights turned off? Trying to gauge the 'blueness'.

I like the colour and temp of your low beans too. I have Crystal Vision 4300K, which look great too and I think these 4000k H15s would be a great match (since I've given up trying to source Eds/VACAR black euro headlights!).

I can get you a picture with the lights off so you can see the blueness. You can only see it if you are on the right angle though (i like it).

As for the defective bulb - hopefully they will send me another or give me a discount on a new set. If not, then i think ill buy these ones which are Osram bulbs which have had the blue-ness added to them.

Either these: XENCN H15 12V 55/15W 4000K Blue Diamond Light Car Bulbs Headlight Osram Quality Replace Upgrade Halogen Lamp Free Shipping 2pcs-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/XENCN-H15-12V-55-15W-4000K-Blue-Diamond-Light-Car-Bulbs-Headlight-Osram-Quality-Replace-Upgrade/1531650697.html)

Or these: Aliexpress.com : Buy XENCN H15 12V15/55W PGJ23T 1 4800K Gold Diamond Car Head Light Halogen Bulb UV Filter OSRAM Germany Auto lamp Free Shipping 2PCS from Reliable lamp housing suppliers on SwinS Limited (http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/XENCN-H15-12V15-55W-PGJ23T-1-4800K-Gold-Diamond-Car-Head-Light-Halogen-Bulb-UV-Filter/415536_1603864674.html)

Lucas_R
17-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Forgot to update this thread - i submitted a complaint form a few weeks ago on the LEDPerf website with details of the defective bulb and attached a few photos. They replied the next day and said they will send me a replacement bulb (at no charge to me), but they are currently on back order. So it will be a few weeks yet until they arrive.

But at least the place shows good customer service.