PDA

View Full Version : Two days in a Golf GTI

Swallowtail
14-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks to Austral here in Brisbane, I have a Mark VI Golf GTI to drive around in for a couple of days...

It's a Carbon Steel Metallic DSG 5 dr - options fitted are sunroof and leather.

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3541.JPG

I'll post up some pics and impressions over the next couple of days, but for now it's off to have some more fun... :D :banana:

h100vw
14-11-2009, 10:29 PM
That's nice looking Simon, when are they getting it back? :)

Gavin

arbour
14-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Hi nice looking car. How did you go about hooking this up.Did you buy your r36 through them?

tinto
14-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Great colour - one of those shades you don't realise is black until you see a black car next to it!

Swallowtail
15-11-2009, 09:28 AM
That's nice looking Simon, when are they getting it back? :)

Gavin

Monday morning... :D

Hi nice looking car. How did you go about hooking this up.Did you buy your r36 through them?

Yes I did, but it is mainly because they are trying to make effort to show willing to work on relationships with our VWW community.

Great colour - one of those shades you don't realise is black until you see a black car next to it!

That's cos it's not black... :D it's dark grey.

More pics later today.

Swallowtail
15-11-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3531.JPG

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3534.JPG

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3537.JPG

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3542.JPG

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3544.JPG

http://www.simonandkate.net/img/golf/IMG_3550.JPG

Swallowtail
15-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Took it for a punt up Nebo / Glorious this morning with Shaneth in the passenger seat...

It sounds good, great exhaust note and blip on gearchange. Little bit drony in 5th at low revs, I assume that may improve as the exhaust beds in. Not a bad drone though. Overall note is good. Tiny bit of torque steer, but minimal and easily controllable. Didn't notice understeer at all, it just turns in nicely and pulls out well (although I do miss awd LOL). Very well balanced chassis, feels great to drive, very engaging and invites you to play hard. Steering feels nicely ratio'ed, and only the tightest corners need a hand shuffle. Brakes feel good, bite hard and pull the car up strongly, although not the best I've ever pushed on. Seats are comfortable, the leather isn't a problem in cornering.

Engine feels torquey, but without a huge surge of power - a bit more would be good, it stops shy of being real grunt, but in terms of balance with the chassis and the control that you have in and out of corners it is brilliant. A couple of corners it all came together beautifully, and the result is a very well poised car that you can control nicely using the throttle. Higher speed corners it feels very planted, very safe, and it handles bumps very well. I reckon the bump handling is better than my Passat.

As a hot hatch this thing rocks. It's not as in your face as an MPS3, not the grunt or wild child, but easier to drive hard as a result. Pottering around town it feels well setup, not too firm, comfortable, well put together, although some aspects of the interior do betray cost-cutting. Noise levels are good, NVH is excellent for the type of car that it is.

This is without doubt one of the best cars at its price. I drove a stock WRX recently, and whilst this doesn't have the power or grip of a WRX, it is a far classier car that is very engaging and enjoyable to drive - to me it's a better compromise than a WRX. Will attract a lot less attention too LOL.

Thanks again to Michael, Mark and Vassi at Austral Volkswagen in Brisbane for the loan of the car.

Now I gotta go clean the Jim Beam off the front where some moron threw a can from a car coming the other way... fortunately it hit the road in front of us and not the car. :mad: idiots...

I should say too that this car only has 400km or so on the clock, so it is still very tight. Yet it still pulled hard. With 7,000 - 10,000 under its belt I reckon it'll feel a lot quicker. Launch Control still worked well though... :cool:

MurphyTheElf
15-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Launch Control still worked well though... :cool:

Nice feedback - I'd give my options, but with my level of experience it wouldn't be worth much. So you tried the launch control.... I've been a little cautious to do so thus far, and I wasn't even sure if mine had it. Do all DSG's have it?

Was it simple enough to use and was wheelspin apparent, or is it quite unobtrusive? Is it possible to engage launch control from stop without others noticing?

tinto
15-11-2009, 10:03 PM
That's cos it's not black... :D it's dark grey.
I phrased that badly, meant to say 'isn't black' :)
I was standing next to one at the Perth launch and thought it was black pearl until I saw a black one across the showroom.
It is a subtle hue that works well with the red accents.

And Murphy, unless it is significantly different in the mk6, there's nothing subtle about an aggressive launch control takeoff :)

arbour
15-11-2009, 10:06 PM
thanks for the write up and photos. How many times have you done the nebo glorious drive. I did it in my cc after reading this article on Australian Car Advice
awesome drive went all the way up to somerset dam, really scenic drive.

here is that article its worth a read

http://www.caradvice.com.au/20067/mitsubishi-evolution-x-king-of-the-mountain/

Swallowtail
15-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Nice feedback - I'd give my options, but with my level of experience it wouldn't be worth much. So you tried the launch control.... I've been a little cautious to do so thus far, and I wasn't even sure if mine had it. Do all DSG's have it?

Was it simple enough to use and was wheelspin apparent, or is it quite unobtrusive? Is it possible to engage launch control from stop without others noticing?

Not all DSGs have it, no. Sport mode, ESP off, left foot brake, right foot throttle, it goes to 3000 and won't go any higher. Take left foot off brake and hold on. :D wheelspin, but not too much. Loud though LOL... it's not unobtrusive... :cool:

I phrased that badly, meant to say 'isn't black' :)
I was standing next to one at the Perth launch and thought it was black pearl until I saw a black one across the showroom.
It is a subtle hue that works well with the red accents.

And Murphy, unless it is significantly different in the mk6, there's nothing subtle about an aggressive launch control takeoff :)

It's a good colour, I like it. You are right about working well with the red accents.

thanks for the write up and photos. How many times have you done the nebo glorious drive. I did it in my cc after reading this article on Australian Car Advice

I live at the bottom of Nebo... :D Today we went up to Glorious and then right and back down through Samford. Coming down Glorious on the new bitumen we pushed it quite hard - lots and lots of fun...

MurphyTheElf
15-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Yeah it seems like a silly question, but I thought there might have been rev range in which it was effective, negating the "pause" at launch. But I guess the only objective of launch control is to maximise acceleration - to hell with noise, traction, etc.

maca
15-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Took it for a punt up Nebo / Glorious this morning with Shaneth in the passenger seat...

Surprised we didn't see you Simon, was up there with 2 other Mk5s today :google:

That article is wrong! We got stuck behind an old V70 today :duh:

Swallowtail
16-11-2009, 09:15 AM
I was pleasantly surprised how good the car felt through the twisties. It just felt planted. No understeer to speak of, minimal torque steer (and that only coming hard out of very slow corners). It just felt 'safe', if you know what I mean. And we weren't going slow either.

We had some traffic going up Nebo, but it cleared by the time we hit Glorious.

Took the GTI back today... I could get used to being in a car that size again. Might have to look at a Golf R next time... :D

johng
16-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Any thoughts on the changes such as bluetooth, usb connectivity and sound system that are new to the mk 6?

Any other threads on these issues?

Swallowtail
16-11-2009, 11:39 AM
The interior looks nice, better than the MkV - more classy - although there are a couple of bits that look a bit cheap (e.g. the little flip up cover in the center console that covers the 12V socket).
Bluetooth - don't buy from VW, go aftermarket. See my posts on Bluetooth in the Car Audio section. USB connectivity - MDI is well worth the $ in my opinion. The car had it fitted, it sits in the center console armrest on the Golf, great location, and it works very well. Sound system - it was an RCD510 in the car - sound is OK, nothing to write home about though.

Corey_R
16-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah it seems like a silly question, but I thought there might have been rev range in which it was effective, negating the "pause" at launch. But I guess the only objective of launch control is to maximise acceleration - to hell with noise, traction, etc.

The 'launch control' was introduced specifically to address that criticism from the press and owners - the 'pause' at launch. There is still a tiny pause when you remove your foot from the brake, but nowhere near as much as a regular acceleration from standstill.

Note that this is NOT "launch control" like you see on a Ferrari F430 etc. It does not regulate the revs to the optimal speed, nor does it give you the optimal amount of wheel spin. In fact, since you've just disabled the ESP to engage the launch control, if you have bad tyres and a wet road you can sit there mostly spinning and not moving! (so your traction control is off etc).

So because it's not a real launch control, you need to regulate the throttle yourself. I found with my stock MKV GTI that about 2400rpm on a dry grippy road was optimal. You get a bit of wheel spin but not too much, and when you feel/hear the wheels have gained max grip you can then push the accelerator all the way in.

After I had the APR ECU flash and full 3" quad tip exhaust done, this figure came down to around 1800-2000 rpm!

It also works in manual mode rather than the automatic 'sport' mode.

MurphyTheElf
16-11-2009, 02:35 PM
The 'launch control' was introduced specifically to address that criticism from the press and owners - the 'pause' at launch. There is still a tiny pause when you remove your foot from the brake, but nowhere near as much as a regular acceleration from standstill.

Note that this is NOT "launch control" like you see on a Ferrari F430 etc. It does not regulate the revs to the optimal speed, nor does it give you the optimal amount of wheel spin. In fact, since you've just disabled the ESP to engage the launch control, if you have bad tyres and a wet road you can sit there mostly spinning and not moving! (so your traction control is off etc).

So because it's not a real launch control, you need to regulate the throttle yourself. I found with my stock MKV GTI that about 2400rpm on a dry grippy road was optimal. You get a bit of wheel spin but not too much, and when you feel/hear the wheels have gained max grip you can then push the accelerator all the way in.

After I had the APR ECU flash and full 3" quad tip exhaust done, this figure came down to around 1800-2000 rpm!

It also works in manual mode rather than the automatic 'sport' mode.

I just looked it up in the manual and it says "approximately 3200rpm". It does mention it only applies to cars with the launch control program installed. Wouldn't this method of acceleration still launch the car without a specific program if you're simply applying the brake, revving the engine, then releasing - assuming the brakes are good? If so, what does the program actually do?

Although I'm happy enough with the car, I'm a manual boy through and through* and the hesitation on acceleration is getting on my nerves. I'm considering the APR flash, but concerned about a shortage of testing on the MarkVI GTI. APR is a US-based company and that market has only had the GTI for a few weeks. Looking at their website, the flash for the MarkVI doesn't seem to be specific to that model, and although the engine is pretty much the same as the MarkV, there are subtle differences. Hey, I'm sure the company has done their homework, but in this case, I don't want to be the first.

* Reasons for buying DSG:
1. Wife
2. Commuting
3. Flappy paddles are fun

Swallowtail
16-11-2009, 02:41 PM
You can't hold the car on the brakes and rev with the DSG (except if launch control is engaged). Try it... :D does nothing. There is no torque converter to torque up against the engine. All the launch control does is a programmed high(ish) revs clutch dump. It's tweaked for each model - the GTI I did wouldn't rev higher than 3000, my Passat's launch control will rev to 4000ish. More grip...

MurphyTheElf
16-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I tried a couple of things this afternoon around the block from my house. I was in a bit of a rush, but curiosity got the better of me. First with ESP on, and in manual mode, I held the brake and revved the engine. The brakes held fine but the car was being held back - it was like the rev limiter was being hit continuously and I couldn't even hit 2000rpm. I then did the same thing with ESP off and manual mode again - the revs were getting up towards 2500rpm but then a crotchety old bloke walked into his front yard and put his hands on his hips. I drove off sensibly and sheepishly.

I was tempted to try again 5 minutes later while I was sitting at the lights next to the Google camera car. :cool:

I'll try again in sport mode later. Again, I don't even know if I have the program.... you say not all DSGs have it, and it wasn't listed as an option.

Swallowtail
16-11-2009, 03:43 PM
You'll instantly know if Launch Control has engaged properly. S or M mode on the DSG, then ESP off, and left foot on brake - when you then rev it will rev like it is out of gear (up to its programmed limit - 3000 rpm in a GTI), you should feel NO pulling or edging forward to go like holding a conventional auto against the brake. If it does, lift right off the throttle and then apply throttle again. It should rev cleanly - once you are at the RPM you want let off the brake. After a small pause (< 1/2 sec) it should dump the clutch for you and go.

If you rev with ESP ON, and left foot on the brake, the ECU is programmed to not allow the car to rev - you cannot left foot brake and accelerate in a DSG, although I believe there are coding changes that can be made to change that for track work. In that left foot brake, right foot throttle, ESP on scenario, you are doing the equivalent in a manual car trying to let the clutch out whilst holding the brake. Not good.

MurphyTheElf
16-11-2009, 04:13 PM
You'll instantly know if Launch Control has engaged properly. S or M mode on the DSG, then ESP off, and left foot on brake - when you then rev it will rev like it is out of gear (up to its programmed limit - 3000 rpm in a GTI), you should feel NO pulling or edging forward to go like holding a conventional auto against the brake. If it does, lift right off the throttle and then apply throttle again. It should rev cleanly - once you are at the RPM you want let off the break. After a small pause (< 1/2 sec) it should dump the clutch for you and go.

If you rev with ESP ON, and left foot on the brake, the ECU is programmed to not allow the car to rev - you cannot left foot brake and accelerate in a DSG, although I believe there are coding changes that can be made to change that for track work. In that left foot brake, right foot throttle, ESP on scenario, you are doing the equivalent in a manual car trying to let the clutch out whilst holding the brake. Not good.

Yeah I was asking for a stall, but it works nicely to prevent that.

I'll test it out using the proper method - sans crotchety old men and suburbia. Cheers for the info....

Corey_R
16-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Btw... unless it's change on the MK6, it's not engaged by simply pressing the ESP button to turn it off, but rather by HOLDING the ESP button (for 5 seconds?) to turn it off.

So the procedure is:
1) Put foot on brake
2) Put it in S or M
3) Hold down the ESP for like 5 seconds
4) Keep foot on brake whilst stepping on the accelerator to get to your desired RPMs
5) Take foot off brake
6) Modulate the accelerator as required to get desirable grip vs wheel spin... you don't even have traction control so you need to do this yourself...

As Swallowtail said, you'll know immediately that it's engaged, because it revs freely up to 3000rpm. There is no 'car being held back' happening, because the clutch is in.

Swallowtail
17-11-2009, 07:45 AM
No, you don't need to hold the ESP button for 5 seconds (on either my Passat or the Golf).

Now let's move on from Launch Control please folks... let's face it, it's something that will get used occasionally, not all the time LOL.

Corey_R
17-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Aah ok cool. Has changed since the MKV then.
Still - I wonder why Murphy can't engage it then.

MurphyTheElf
17-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I haven't given it a good try yet. Things were looking good yesterday before I was interrupted by "Mr Wilson".

Swallowtail
17-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I haven't given it a good try yet. Things were looking good yesterday before I was interrupted by "Mr Wilson".

Oy - leave me out of it! :D

elisiX
30-12-2009, 11:03 AM
Glad I found this. Nice to read a review from someone who doesnt write them for a living. :)

That first picture looks awesome.