PDA

View Full Version : "Clutch cable attatchment pieces"

bboyskidz
16-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Worst problem last night. Just as I was pulling into my driveway, the clutch snapped to the floor and fluid started spilling out from underneath the car...

see below
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/clutch-2.jpg

the two metal bits are gaawwn! as i was turning around they just flung off making the clutch release lever swing out, whack the gearbox end cap off and transmission fluid was spilling everywhere. after the initial "wtf" cooling off period, i jacked up the car to find all this out. i thought the clutch cable had snapped. lol

anyway i was just wondering if anyone has had to replace this themselves and how easy it is?

I have the bentley's book (it's awesome) but it says i need to use an engine sling to pull the clutch release pedal up so i can restring the cable back into it... is it really that hard?

KI11Z
16-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Holy Sh*t! Thatd better not happen to me!!! sounds crazy . . . Good luck!:(

bombsquad21
16-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Something very similar happened to mine and my brothers Golf, the're both 2.0, the retaining clip which holds the metal ball on the end of the cable gives out..They cost about $10 from a dealer and take 30secs to fit. From under neath,Just use some pliers to hold the metal ball on the end of the clutch cable, push up then pull down sharply with a little force, this should release enough lenghth for the clip and the rubber block to go on. I'm not sure why your clutch fork swung around as I didn't encounter any of these problems. But as for the clip...cheap easy fix. Of course I drove 30kms in 3rd gear after mine broke at 2am and i may or may not have run a few red lights in order to reach my destination without stopping.

KI11Z
16-02-2007, 05:23 PM
lol :D nice one! . . . I might just buy a new one now and replace it as preventative measures . . . :)

Golf Loon
16-02-2007, 05:27 PM
lol :D nice one! . . . I might just buy a new one now and replace it as preventative measures . . . :)

Vr6s dont have clutch cables. :D

bboyskidz
20-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Something very similar happened to mine and my brothers Golf, the're both 2.0, the retaining clip which holds the metal ball on the end of the cable gives out..They cost about $10 from a dealer and take 30secs to fit. From under neath,Just use some pliers to hold the metal ball on the end of the clutch cable, push up then pull down sharply with a little force, this should release enough lenghth for the clip and the rubber block to go on. I'm not sure why your clutch fork swung around as I didn't encounter any of these problems. But as for the clip...cheap easy fix. Of course I drove 30kms in 3rd gear after mine broke at 2am and i may or may not have run a few red lights in order to reach my destination without stopping.
LOL at the lights... i guess if it was 2am you would have been right.
I was so confused as to how the lever whacked off the end cap too, but it did and i lost alot of fluid... (neighbours were complaining, Dad made me get out on the road and scrub the **** off -ITS A BLOODY ASPHALT ROAD!) in regards to the fluid that i lost from the transmission, can i just top up what is left? is there any particular brand of transmission fluid i should get?

bboyskidz
20-02-2007, 11:38 AM
just heard back from central coast motor group vw parts, $13 and it comes with a new rubber block!

i'm going to pick it up today...

bboyskidz
20-02-2007, 10:36 PM
didn't completely solve the issue.
the cable is attached - just used the jack to raise the release lever (red) and re-insert the cable (green) so i could put the newly aquired "clutch parts kit" on (blue) (for reference it has a part number of VW-1H0798303A)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/IMG_0647coloured-1.jpg

my next problem is that when I tried to top up the fluid, it just started pouring out this gap i found between the clutch and the transmission (i think...)

i'm thinking that the reason for the end cap coming off was because something inside the transmission broke (please god i hope not!!!) because on taking a second look, the clutch release lever doesn't actually seems to touch the end cap even when it swings past it...

here's another pic...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/IMG_0648coloured-1.jpg

I am hoping it is just something simple. It looks as if there is a thin metal spacer where the oil was coming out and when I take a closer look, it seems that the holes in this spacer are not in line with the other holes. (whether or not these holes are just guides or whether they are supposed to have bolts in them, I am unsure)

Just at first glance, does anyone know what the problem could be?

deemoE36
20-02-2007, 11:15 PM
happened to me while ago as well, nrma towed the car home, bought the cable as well, then find out that $12 from vw will fix the problem LOL, lucky they refunded me for the cable :)
but imagine being stuck in the middle of blue mts or something with that problem, that would suck bad

Golf Loon
20-02-2007, 11:54 PM
You are pouring the fluid in the wrong place man.

You are pouring it in the inspection / timing hole, all over your clutch. Thats why it is coming out of the bottom. That plate just covers the clutch.

You take the speedo cable or speed sensor unit out of the gearbox and pour it in that hole ;) Its towards the back of the gearbox and should have 3 wires going to the sensor.

Hope that helps.

bboyskidz
21-02-2007, 07:10 AM
AAAAHAHAHA! fuxake. I told Dad it was the wrong hole.

is there any problem with pouring it on the clutch?

thanks loon. I'll try again tonight.

bboyskidz
22-02-2007, 07:34 AM
didn't get a chance to look at last night. it will either be tonight or on the weekend.

i don't really see any problem with pouring oil on the clutch apart from the fact that it may be a little sliperry to begin with. am i right?