PDA

View Full Version : Rain and rear window

Nicho
13-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Anyone use any of those rain repellant products on the rear window with any success??

ope126
13-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Are you talking about Rain-X.
I am not convinced with that stuff, tried it a few years ago and never again...

Rear window wipers work well too...

triode12
13-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Anyone use any of those rain repellant products on the rear window with any success??

Yes, I have nanokote on mine but while the water beads and flows off easily, the dirt kicked up by the tires still mucks up the window.

Lukey13
13-11-2009, 07:10 PM
I swear by Rain-X and have used it in the rainiest part of Australia with great success. In fact, I can't stand driving cars in the rain without it, the difference is that marked.

I have mainly used it on the front windscreen though.

Nicho
13-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Interesting.....I ask mainly because I find that with the rear windscreen wiper so small it is a little annoying in that the areas missed still cover a reasonable amount of the window. I might try the both products and test!

Yes, I have nanokote on mine but while the water beads and flows off easily, the dirt kicked up by the tires still mucks up the window.

I noticed there is also a Nanokote product for alloy wheels - http://www.emtechautomotive.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=699&zenid=ecf7ec053f79eb2265045051420cf768

Now something that keeps the alloys cleaner could be very interesting! At $75 it would want to work though!!!

Corey_R
14-11-2009, 12:54 AM
What do you need to look out the rear window for anyway?

Having driven 'flat back hatches' most of my life, I was actually shocked with how much dirt gets on the rear windows of not only my MKV Golf GTI, but my Polo GTI too. Rain-X would be pointless on the rear window because it doesn't work with dirt! Between the dirt, and the fact the rear headrests obscue a decent amount of view, I don't really look out the rear centre mirror much. That's why we've got two side mirrors ;)

triode12
14-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Interesting.....I ask mainly because I find that with the rear windscreen wiper so small it is a little annoying in that the areas missed still cover a reasonable amount of the window. I might try the both products and test!

I noticed there is also a Nanokote product for alloy wheels - http://www.emtechautomotive.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=699&zenid=ecf7ec053f79eb2265045051420cf768

Now something that keeps the alloys cleaner could be very interesting! At $75 it would want to work though!!!

Nanokote seems to work on the windows, I put it on the windows when the car was new and it has been 5 months now and it is still working well.

I also bought the alloys kit but the bottle supplied was tiny and not enough to coat all the wheels. I wouldn't recommend it. Better to buy cheaper alternatives.

brad
14-11-2009, 11:53 AM

Yep
Use rainX on my rear & side windows & it's brilliant. Easier to see out when it's raining & stays cleaner as well.

I hate driving my swmbos non-rainX car

I find rainX on the windscreen less successful

gregozedobe
14-11-2009, 05:36 PM
For those people who are having issues with Rain-X here are a few tips :

1 Get your windcreen ultra clean before applying (I use Amway metal Polish ! Applied wet and washed off thoroughly before it dries out it gets the glass really squeaky clean)

2 Apply Rain-X all over, making sure you don't miss any bits.

3 A bit of water and several paper towels helps remove any excess Rain-X.

4 Keep your windscreen really clean all the time.

5 Re-apply Rain-X regularly (every 2 weeks if it rains a lot where you drive, every 4-6 weeks if you are in a drier place)

If you notice it getting slimy and smeary (particularly in the cold) try a new application of Rain-X, if that doesn't sort it out look at new wiper blades.

If you want to remove it altogether use Amway metal polish (wet).

I got sick of re-applying Rain-X so frequently, so now I use Aquapel, this lasts much longer, better in the cold, but for I think freshly applied Rain-X performs slightly better in light rain.

A number of the paint "sealant" products (and their spin-offs) claim to be suitable for treating glass. I am getting some Jeffs Werkstatt Prime Acrylic and Acrylic Jett Trigger (acrylic sealant) soon. I might try it out on one side of the rear window of my van and put Aquapel on the other side to compare performance (the rear window gets putrid very quickly in the rain, must be the airflow over the box shape).

Back to the OP - I don't think any of the glass treatments work as well on side and rear glass as they do on the front windscreen - they don't have the blast of high pressure air to push the rain off.

cktsi
15-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Slightly off topic, but I didn't know where the washer jet nozzle was located for the rear window.

It was only yesterday after reading the post I had a look while washing the car. I had no idea it was that small dimple on the centre brake light! Until yesterday I was wondering why there was a small dimple.:P

I can't even recall where the location was for the Mark V... I thought it was the rear spoiler somewhere.

Corey_R
15-11-2009, 08:27 PM
On the MKV it was on the actual rear wiper arm, on the central hub, or whatever it is called.