PDA

View Full Version : 118tsi losing power

Stoney!
13-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Last night I was in a bit of a hurry after work and I started the poor girl up and left straight away, but then as the revs got to about 2000 I noticed, while slowly sinking the pedal further (manual in 2nd) that there was hardly any power there (and you can tell cause these things really do go hard) Turbo whooshing and supercharger whining.

Does anyone know if the golfs cut themselves back via the CAN system when they are cold, it wasn't runing rough or anything, not even on idle when I stopped as soon as I noticed it, just sluggish....

Thanks for your help.

Stoney!

cktsi
13-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry, can't recall the spec of your car, but when you say manual in 2nd are you driving a manual gearbox or did you manually select the DSG for 2nd?

Mine is a DSG and there was one occasion recently when I selected 2nd gear and the engine spun as though it was neutral. It could have been stuck in 1st, but I couldn't tell whether it was stuck in 1st or neutral as I was going down a very steep hill (the big epping road dipper at lane cove intersection with Mowbray road).

There was only one prior instance where the DSG was in "D" and the engine spun as if it was in neutral even though it just changed from D3 to D4.

It's a very rare occurrence, so I haven't reported it as a problem, but it may be related to a faulty heat sensor that prompted the DSG recall in the US.

logger
13-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Does anyone know if the golfs cut themselves back via the CAN system when they are cold?

My guess is that they do. Have you noticed the rough initial idle for the first 30 sec or so on a cold start? Something to do with Internal Exhaust Recirculation (variable valve timing) to get the catalytic converter up to optimum temp ASAP. During this phase the ECU may not be keen on giving you the full monty.

Supreme
13-11-2009, 01:50 PM
When I start mine up in the wee hours of the morning - where it's usually single digit temperatures - the car always feels sluggish for about 5 minutes as it warms up. It normally doesn't reach operating temperature for about 12 minutes. Just take it easy until he's at 90.

Stoney!
14-11-2009, 02:12 AM
When I start mine up in the wee hours of the morning - where it's usually single digit temperatures - the car always feels sluggish for about 5 minutes as it warms up. It normally doesn't reach operating temperature for about 12 minutes. Just take it easy until he's at 90.

Your dead right there, It's most certainly not something I would make a habit of doing, however I was just making sure there's not something wrong. cheers.

My guess is that they do. Have you noticed the rough initial idle for the first 30 sec or so on a cold start? Something to do with Internal Exhaust Recirculation (variable valve timing) to get the catalytic converter up to optimum temp ASAP. During this phase the ECU may not be keen on giving you the full monty.

Yes I have, I also noticed they don't do it when they are brand spankin new, and yes it is rather rough then smoothens and quietens out... Have you also noticed during that time it uses a crap load of fuel lol...

Stoney!

x_rotary_rasp
14-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Warming up process should be done to avoid engine damage when cold. Also, during the warming up process the (not sure whether VW/AUDI) fuel mixture is richer than normal to help warm up the catalytic converter. Perhaps during this phase there is also a secondary air pump that pump fresh air into the catalytic converter to also help the catalytic converter reach normal temperature.

The catalytic heats up to normal temperature quickly, however the engine/transmission will still take time to warm up. When cold, this is the phase when engine/mechanical wear is at its worst. Even using synthetic engine oil, I'd still take precaution.

Life is too short - why rush?

russ83
16-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Interesting read, thanks for sharing blokes

Corey_R
17-11-2009, 03:07 AM

I should also point out guys, that when the water temp reaches 90, that the engine still isn't warmed up! It's the oil temp which is the most important and I'm not sure whether that temp id viewable on the TSI, although it is on the new GTI I've noticed! So even when the water reaches 90 degrees, you should still wait a while before giving her a flogging! :D

cme2c
17-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I should also point out guys, that when the water temp reaches 90, that the engine still isn't warmed up! It's the oil temp which is the most important and I'm not sure whether that temp id viewable on the TSI, although it is on the new GTI I've noticed! So even when the water reaches 90 degrees, you should still wait a while before giving her a flogging! :D

Oil temp is available in the MDI on MY10 118TSI. My Peugeot has both coolant and oil temp gauges and it doesn't take that long ( 5 mins max)for the oil temp to be slightly higher than the coolant. I use fully sick fully synthetic oil.