PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging K-Jet

jleahy_10
15-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey everyone, i was just wondering if anyone could see any issues with supercharging a k-jet GTI engine. Or if anyone has seen one, how did it go?

ausgolfer
15-02-2007, 11:50 PM
I've debated about doing it many times, as I'm sure most k-jet owners would have, would be the same as turboing a k-jet, you can use bits from an old audi turbo k-jet to use on your system to get the desired results. I think they're limited in the final power output though, something like 180hp but then there's add on injector kits that can boost power further. Have even been told you can run a fuel distributor of cars that had more cylinders ie a volvo or a benz, and running up to 8 injectors.....

Golf Loon
16-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah an old 5 cylinder audi turbo could provide parts if you can find one. I like the idea of using a bigger fuel dissy ausgolfer. Use the one off the audi and have a 5th injector :D

static1800
16-02-2007, 01:58 PM
What about on a digi engine? I found a kit for a mk2 digi engine from brahn brenner in the states costs $3800AUD before shipping though. Looks to be a very good kit though claims to double power from a stock engine, not a bad investment :)

ausgolfer
16-02-2007, 04:09 PM
yes that kit always looks nice, love that screw compressor 80% efficient wow!

aliasmk2
17-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Yeah an old 5 cylinder audi turbo could provide parts if you can find one. I like the idea of using a bigger fuel dissy ausgolfer. Use the one off the audi and have a 5th injector :D

SAAB had turbo cars that ran on K-jet for a long time & used the 5th injector (cold start) as an extra
I knew a SAAB mechanic in Lismore who suggested using a Toyota supercharger, (which often come up on ebay aus for about $300) on my old K-jet car, he estimated up to an extra 40hp from that for a cost of less than $1000 istalled with intercooler

evorobin
17-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Good advice. It can be done like this for a grand or you could go turbo, manifold, fuel rail and management for two G's excluding labour obviously. I have to say I've driven the Supercharged MR2 and even with more power the power delivery was boring. They're as quick as a valver but don't feel it.

ausgolfer
17-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Good advice. It can be done like this for a grand or you could go turbo, manifold, fuel rail and management for two G's excluding labour obviously. I have to say I've driven the Supercharged MR2 and even with more power the power delivery was boring. They're as quick as a valver but don't feel it.

I'd have to agree with that, I've driven my neighbours MR2 supercharged, but I still think the toyota charger wouldn't be a bad addition to a golf motor.

silverMK1
17-02-2007, 02:18 PM
these threads always gets me thinking... i have a exa turbo with spare turbo. very tight fit is the only thing... do you reckon i could run 6psi with the standard k-jet? also could i double up on head gaskets to lower compression?

jleahy_10
17-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I will not be putting the engine in the car straight away, will have it on a stand for a few months, going to harden the girl up, forged pistons, bore, cam...etc.

Was hoping to run about 9psi through, will the standard k-jet be able to cope, will i have to put bigger injectors on (...if you can with k-jet), or make more substansial mods?

Yeah, i think my charger is off a toyota, not sure if off a AE86 or MR2 though. Any way of telling, if i post some numbers on here from the charger can anyone here tell me what they mean?

gldgti
19-02-2007, 08:11 AM
the most common toyota superchargers are the SC-12 and SC-14, having 1.2 and 1.4 L displacement each respectively. both were fitted to the G series engines in 'rollas, mr2's etc.

ausgolfer
19-02-2007, 10:36 AM
the most common toyota superchargers are the SC-12 and SC-14, having 1.2 and 1.4 L displacement each respectively. both were fitted to the G series engines in 'rollas, mr2's etc.

I think the larger one was fitted to the 2L 6 clinder engine that was in a different toyota.

abreut
19-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Yep the sc14 was on the 1G-GZE engine out of a jap Toyota Crown. They were a 2l twin cam 24v 6 cylinder. They didn't actually have that much grunt though I think partly because they didn't use an intercooler.

I used an sc14 on my 2l AGG 8v motor and it worked really well (the cars in the "For Sale" section btw). Its true though that a supercharged motor dosen't feel as impressive as a turbo, well to the passenger anyway. In reality though they are deceivingly quick. My power curve was just like a larger NA motor but the thing is the response. In a lot of real-world situations by the time the big hp turbo guy has spooled up the supercharged car would have beaten him to the next light. I now have a turbo setup and I really miss the instantaneous power from the supercharger. And the sound!

ausgolfer
19-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm with you grun, I think it's a better option. Especially for an everyday driver.

aliasmk2
19-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I think the larger one was fitted to the 2L 6 clinder engine that was in a different toyota.
I have heard that the cresseda & one model hilux had superchargers aswell, so there seems to be a bit of variety

ontarv
19-02-2007, 06:45 PM
the creseda one had elec clutch as
well, like on a/c pump they are usually
under driven as well
seen v6 hol with two and over driven
to get over 15psi each bank
good cheap option though
thought about that myself but my eng is over 10 to 1 comp