PDA

View Full Version : engine fan after ignition off

nyc863
13-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Is it reasonable that my new octavia likes to run its electric radiator fan after I park and walk away - after a 10 minute trip with no a/c, under 50kmh, driven gently, on a not overly hot day?
It fascinates my kid, but I wonder if the threshold is set too low in my example?

Golf Loon
13-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Yup its a feature. It will reduce under bonnet temps and prolong the life of your engine. Is it a TDI? Those things generate some heat.

brad
13-11-2009, 06:57 AM
Is it reasonable that my new octavia likes to run its electric radiator fan after I park and walk away - after a 10 minute trip with no a/c, under 50kmh, driven gently, on a not overly hot day?
It fascinates my kid, but I wonder if the threshold is set too low in my example?

totally normal. haven't really noticed under those parameters but i don't do 10 minute trips.

Also, (not sure about the Skoda) but on my old Golf it would wait 5-10 minutes for the heatsoak to build up, then switch on the fans.

I believe there's even a secondary water pump that circulates coolant throught the turbo.

As Golf Loon said, all good stuff. Underbonnet temps after shutdown skyrocket a bit - not as high as driving but you get hot-spots because the coolant, oil & air aren't circulating.

woofy
13-11-2009, 12:25 PM
wait until summer, my RS used to sit there blowing a gale for ages on 40 degree days.

gregozedobe
13-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Cooling fans running for a few minutes after switchoff is quite normal, my vRS mostly only does it on warmer days.

It is worth checking that it does stop eventually, as some Octys develop a fault with the fan controller (IIRC) which meant the fans would come on and run continuously when the engine was cold, leading to a totally flat battery.

Transporter
13-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Sound advice Gregozedobe,
the engine fan shouldn't be running if the engine is still in normal operating temperature. For peace of mind I would get it checked.