PDA

View Full Version : superb wagon review

4thchicken
12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2009/large-passenger/skoda/superb/skoda-superb-combi-17355

What we liked
>> Massive and useful interior space
>> Terrific ride quality
>> Smooth engines and gearboxes

Not so much
>> Base petrol engine isn't the strongest
>> Styling makes Superb sedans looks bad
>> Umm, threatens other wagon-makers too much?

Overall rating: 4.0/5.0
Engine/Drivetrain/Chassis: 4.5/5.0
Price, Packaging and Practicality: 4.0/5.0
Safety: 4.5/5.0
Behind the wheel: 4.5/5.0
X-factor: 4.0/5.0

me want one! In an ideal world that is - given that I've had my rs for just under 2 weeks it is pretty much out of the picture.

Cant recall a car review that has ever been that positive?

wombatoutofhell
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I drove a Superb 1.8 elegance sedan/hatch (it's both) before they were released by invitation of the good folks at Bayford and said at the time if they ever release a wagon it would be the ideal family car. Good to see they listen! I no longer have a need for a large wagon (hence why I have the Octy) but I would have a serious look if i did.

code618
12-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Amazingly positive report. I actually think the styling is far more cohesive than the facelift Octavia - somehow the new headlight style suits the larger car. Could be the replacement for my RS if the kids out grow it....

spellbound
13-11-2009, 02:48 PM
MMMMM will be two years up on my combi rs when this gets here , and i need a wagon for business .

Definately looks better than the twin door , damn it would have to be the awd 6 as i would miss my rs and its performance mix

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
18-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey guys,

good news is we have had a build week of the 5th week 2010 confirmed, we should have the wagon here by May next year. The ratio in VW was 25 wagons to every sedan so as a dealer this is a very exciting release for us.

Something we can all get excited about!!!!!

spellbound
18-11-2009, 09:15 PM
WOW thats good news , love the look of this car .

Looks like the rs wagon will have to go , if they bring in the awd V6 .

Metallic brown , pity no manual .

KWICKS
18-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Looks good. Priced right it will slaughter Holden's Sportwagon for family transport. I think SUV's might have peaked and the rise of the wagon is due again. This might be the right product at the right time.

4thchicken
18-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I'd hope for an superb rs in a few years when I start to think about upgrading :)

Spook
30-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Superb Combi on the Skoda website as being on sale in April 2010 - preorders now taken.

I've been looking for information on the Combi [OT - of all the phrases used for the wagon, estate, combi, variant etc, I prefer estate. Don't know why, just do], and I see that its dimensions are virtually identical to the sedan. Agree with code618 that the wagon styling is much better. And the quad tailpipes on the V6 4x4 looks fab.

skoda-auto.com (http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/model/superbcombi/look/Pages/look.aspx) show a pano sunroof, electric tailgate, sharkfin aerial and hopefully the new keyless entry system "KESSY" won't be too far behind the Oz launch (brochure said it will be available from week 22 in 2010).

My only problem would be justifying the extra $$ and size when the Octavia RS is probably the ideal size for me.

http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionImages/model/SuperbCombi/gallery/_780x585/supc037.jpg

http://new.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionImages/model/SuperbCombi/gallery/_780x585/supc027.jpg

MJKooLio
31-12-2009, 08:36 PM
it is much more beautiful than the Octavia/vRS versions - perhaps that's what the Octavia will lean towards design wise at the front with more aggressive head lamps.....

I'd prefer the Hatch/Sedan to this ^^^ Estate which is coming soon to Aus - I don't see the use of a Luxury car to be an Estate when it is competing against similar cars in it's class or above ie Caprice etc. But don't get me wrong - have a Supurb any day over anything else! But again there are the 5-Series and E-Klasse Estates which are beautiful too.

Did anyone watch that ep of 5th Gear when the guy took a Supurb into the business district of London and taped/covered all the badges on the Supurb and everyone thought it was a BMW/Merc/Luxury Premium car!? It was a surprize!

K1W1
31-12-2009, 09:27 PM
What happened to the rest of the posts in this thread?

Spook
02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Popped down to my local dealer today. Salesperson told me that he expects the wagon to arrive in April or May. He already has 3 pre-orders on his books. He has no pricing or specs, but expects the specs to be the same as the equivalent sedan/hatch, and the wagon to have a $3k premium.

I looked around the sedan, and the interior space is amazing. The chrome surrounds on the vents and controls are too bling for me though. Anyhow, looks like the Superb will be too big for my current needs so no longer under consideration.

Spook
09-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Came across this great ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YhCS3tK-k) for the Combi. Enjoy!

Graybags
10-01-2010, 05:49 AM
Thats awesome!

MJKooLio
10-01-2010, 06:08 PM
A litle too long but still a beautiful film.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM
It's personal opiniopn of course but i think Skoda need to take this path and put ads like this on TV. Obviously not this length but 30-45 sec of something that makes you want to drive it.

You probably will see it at some stage as VW tend to recycle a lot of ads from Germany e.g. the Jetta. The ones they have done here have shown promise, ads like the EOS were very very good at attracting the right cliental.

This ad would still work well here as some of the scenary actually looked like it was filmed in OZ, in particular at the end of the video when he arrives home. It will be an exciting launch for us and it will be interesting to see how they push it to an OZ audience.

Tensixty6
02-03-2010, 09:10 PM
Popped down to my local dealer today. Salesperson told me that he expects the wagon to arrive in April or May. He already has 3 pre-orders on his books. He has no pricing or specs, but expects the specs to be the same as the equivalent sedan/hatch, and the wagon to have a $3k premium.

There is a Victorian dealer currently advertising a turbo diesel Superb Elegance wagon on carsales.com.au for $62,888 drive away. Delivery - May.

Spook
02-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Good spot! Price looks a little steep though. Interesting that is states bi-xenon as a standard inclusion.

K1W1
03-03-2010, 05:45 AM
At that price I would want it to have a wet bar and a waiter.

Jake02
03-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Spook - xenons are standard equipment on all Elegance models.

Spook
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
[checks specs] Yep, you're right. My bad.

Jake02
05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Second review and perhaps a more realistic review (because UK roads are similar in crappiness to Aus roads - they brought their 'skill' over with the first fleet. Watch the video, provides more info.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/248785/skoda_superb_estate.html

bobski
06-03-2010, 09:37 AM
Just watched the vid. ""Here is a car, it has some things, we think you'd prefer another car thats slightly smaller."" I suppose there's no substitute for a couple of long test drives.

The magnetic torch in the boot is a nice touch. I wonder if its recharged by the car...