PDA

View Full Version : Petrol cap

mscabrio
15-02-2007, 05:00 PM
The first time that I had to put petrol in my GTI, took me a very long time to figure out how to release the petrol cap (why read the manual !!!), only found it because I accidently lent on the petrol cap and it popped open .....Was anyone else tricked by that ?

VWindahouse
15-02-2007, 10:52 PM
The first time that I had to put petrol in my GTI, took me a very long time to figure out how to release the petrol cap (why read the manual !!!), only found it because I accidently lent on the petrol cap and it popped open .....Was anyone else tricked by that ?

I have only had my new polo for a day or two and yes after 5 mins or so and with a bruised ego I actually read the manual and discovered how to open it! :confused:

Shade
16-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, i had the same problem. First time i had to fill my GTI pulled into the servo and started looking around the car for the release latch botton thingy... nope, not on the floor near the seat, not under the dash, not in glove box, not there, not here.......panic rising .....line of cars building up behind me wondering what i am doing ......... i have to do it ..... quickly and stealthly whip the manual out of the glove box (so not to look like a complete DingBat) ......... OH THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT. Jump out of, try to look like nothing going on, Press the lid while praying that it works ....YEA! Relief. j:

Kai
16-02-2007, 12:32 PM
I was wondering what you guys were going on about until the post above was posted... lol

I thought you didnt know how to turn the cap on the fuel tank. I was thinking to myself that i had no problems with that. :P

Anyways, for some reason on my first fuel up, I just got out and pressed on it.

VWindahouse
16-02-2007, 06:53 PM
I was wondering what you guys were going on about until the post above was posted... lol

I thought you didnt know how to turn the cap on the fuel tank. I was thinking to myself that i had no problems with that. :P

Anyways, for some reason on my first fuel up, I just got out and pressed on it.

The force is strong in that one!!!

mscabrio
16-02-2007, 07:14 PM
I have only had my new polo for a day or two and yes after 5 mins or so and with a bruised ego I actually read the manual and discovered how to open it! :confused:

Yes well reading the manual would have been just too easy, shame that the male half of this combination had chosen to take the manual out of the car and it was sitting on the dining room table !!!!

Am actually surprised that the sales person didn't tell me this when I picked it up, he told me everything else including how to lock the doors .... or maybe he did and I was just alseep ?????

jasn78
16-02-2007, 10:54 PM
Don't worry also fell for that one and just like you accidentally pressed it, the other one the dealer doesnt tell you about is the 1 reverse light only trick:)

Glide_GTI
16-02-2007, 11:53 PM
uhh... i'll have to try that on my next fill up :???:

ryan_GTI
16-02-2007, 11:54 PM
haha yes the infamous mono-reverse light... surprised how many ppl thought one of them was blown, well actually i cant blame them.

Wand Weaver
17-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I think some dealerships need to work harder on their dealer delivery - the fuel flap was covered (well, in the process of showing me where the tyre placard was), as was the mono-reverse light (and how to turn the fogs on etc) when I took delivery of my car.

Did your dealers "forget" to tell you about the indicator stalk switching on the parking lights on one side of the car, or the cubby holes under the front seats too?

One thing some people seemed to have gotten - that I haven't...was some stuff mailed to me about VW Assist. It was covered in the pre-delivery lecture, but that was it?

Timbo
17-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, my dealer took me through all this, too...and the speed-adaptive settings on the stereo ;)

Glide_GTI
17-02-2007, 10:32 PM
my dealer didnt know what mp3 was, basically the only thing I was shown was how to adjust the steering wheel.

mscabrio
19-02-2007, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Wand Weaver]
Did your dealers "forget" to tell you about the indicator stalk switching on the parking lights on one side of the car, or the cubby holes under the front seats too?

QUOTE]

Wasn't told about the indicator trick but my other car is a New Beetle cabrio so I already knew that one ..... I love people's reactions when I use that. I used to park my bug in a narrow street for a couple of hours every week while I went to my dance class and as I was so worried that someone would swipe the mirror I used to leave a light on and the number of people who would tell me that my lights were on was hilarious ...... a bit like the number of people that pull upalongside my hubby and tell him that the "boot" of his oval window beetle is open (he has hoodjax on the deck lid!)

Glide_GTI
23-02-2007, 08:38 PM
haha yes the infamous mono-reverse light... surprised how many ppl thought one of them was blown, well actually i cant blame them.

lol, i had my boss argue with me that its 'not australian law', yeah... what a boss :rolleyes:

Wand Weaver
23-02-2007, 09:34 PM
What's the big deal with reading the manual, anyway?

One of the first things I did was read the thing from cover to cover. I find such things interesting :)

FL00DY
26-02-2007, 08:49 AM
I had 0 issues with my cap. My dealer took me round the car and pointed stuff like that out.

Whilst we're talking bout dealers, did you also know you have a storage bins under your 2 front seats?

Wand Weaver
26-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Whilst we're talking bout dealers, did you also know you have a storage bins under your 2 front seats?

I mentioned them before, although they're not really much good for anything other than CDs or hiding something small like a mobile or GPS in if you needed to (I wouldn't leave a GPS in the car though - hidden or not).

Similarly small is the glovebox, which seems to be quite deep, but very narrow.

FL00DY
26-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I mentioned them before, although they're not really much good for anything other than CDs or hiding something small like a mobile or GPS in if you needed to (I wouldn't leave a GPS in the car though - hidden or not).

Similarly small is the glovebox, which seems to be quite deep, but very narrow.
The storage bins are great, normally good for sticking take-away food in. I use the drivers side to stick all my car chargers, phone, bluetooth GPS, and PDA.

If you want more storage you need one of these
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Replaces the useless tray above the air con vents.

DaveMack
06-04-2007, 10:36 AM
The storage bins are great, normally good for sticking take-away food in. I use the drivers side to stick all my car chargers, phone, bluetooth GPS, and PDA.

If you want more storage you need one of these

Replaces the useless tray above the air con vents.

Floody ... haven't seen any of these storage containers in available parts. Where did you manage to pick that one up from?

FL00DY
06-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Floody ... haven't seen any of these storage containers in available parts. Where did you manage to pick that one up from?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-Polo-9N-Dash-Cubby-Box-OE-New-HOT-Volkswagen_W0QQitemZ280101406075QQcategoryZ40199QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

;)

Smead
29-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Sorry to bring up this old thread but it made me laugh.

Took me 10 minutes sitting at pump before i checked the manaul and learn't the trick :)

Also only worked out the one reverse light trick from here too