PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions and advice on buying gti?

blue_reality
15-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey Gang,

Just had a look through some threads and everyone seems so nice!! HA!

I've just sold a Nissan 180SX Type X to get a 'sensible' car and I bought a Jeep. It's all good, but I'm missing my old car and my girlfriend wants me to have a 'normal' car so now I've got my heart set on a Golf MK4 GTI and have a couple of questions. (Because to the untrained girlfriends eye is looks like a 'nice' normal car)

Is there much difference betweeen the year models from 1999-2003? Performance, body and interior?

Is there a reputable place to get modifications done in Sydney?

How much would a full exhaust cost and a chip?

Is it possible to put a FMIC on them?

I have seen a 2003 model for sale for $22,000 with 60,000km and another one that looks the same for $18,000 both in 'beautiful condition - first to see will buy' so I'm a but confused on what the going price is. Red book is not really that accurate.

Also any tips on what to look for when doing a test drive and looking at cars second hand would be fantastic.

Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to making this site my new home - I racked up around 2000 posts on the Nissan Silvia forum and was active organising cruises, videos, BBQ's etc in Sydney so I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community!

Cheers.

gpk_gti
15-02-2007, 02:17 PM
welcome and great choice of car!!
The earlier models have the recaro interior where as the later ones dont.you will see recaro embrioded on the front middle .
as for reputable modifiers in sydney there are a few.
bug_racer on forum can help you with most mods .tcca motorsport in artarmon has helped with my mk4 gti.as for others im sure they are on forum.
Exhaust id go for custom made,I can refer you to one place if you dont know any.Intercoolers is not a unusual mod,have seen them but ive got a FORGE side mount.
There is a Get together/bbq coming up on the 11th march.check the cruise/meet thread.
anything else I can help you with just message me or post here.
Good luck!!!

blue_reality
15-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks gpk_gti

So a 2003 model with 60,000km is going to be exactly the same as a 2000 model with 60,000km, for example, except for the recaro interior?

They're a great looking car and sounds like they repond well to light modification aswell.

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Thanks for replying so fast.

gpk_gti
15-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Im pretty sure,but dont quote me...I think the wheels are also updated.Check for the seat bolster on outer side for big butt collapse,HEHE and check that the car does not overheat and any coolant loss(both of those I didnt check and got done).
what area are you at???

gpk_gti
15-02-2007, 03:20 PM
here is the thread for our next GTG,
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=35976#post35976
hope you can make it!!

blue_reality
15-02-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm in Sydney.

Hopefully should have the VW by next week.

Very excited!

phaeton
15-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Welcome blue reality :D

h100vw
15-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi, get someone to scan the ECUs for fault codes that haven't caused a check light on the dash.

Drive a couple of them to get a feel for a good one.

The MAF, air sensors, fail often and sometimes only fitting another or data logging with VAG-COM will pick it up.

A front mount would be a good idea. Not many off the shelf choices that I know of except Forge. That is a dual pass and not ideal. I am having one made for my A3 which is essentially the same car. Custom pipe running over the gear box to the biggest core I can get in. Having to cut the bar behind the bumper, small loss! Once it's done I can have as many kits made as I like.

Please don't start the which chip is best thing off again though. ;)

Gavin

blue_reality
15-02-2007, 07:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

It is costly to get your FMIC custom made?

I imagine there must be a kit or something available for the GTI?

h100vw
15-02-2007, 08:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Not that bad TBH. Can't remember what he quoted me exactly.

Forge and maybe APR make off the shelf FMIC both more than the one I am having made.

Gavin

BLKMJC
16-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Hello!

Go to www.redbook.com.au, and you can see what specs and options the cars came with. The main differences are the seats I think... but there are others... id go for a 2003 up model. MY2002 is not bad, its got most of what the 2002 had but is cheaper by a bit being 2002...

You have to cut the front bumper to put fmic on... something I didnt want to do. I considered smic but the costs dont really justify the performance you get from it.

BLKMJC

RedMk2Gti
16-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Hello!

Go to www.redbook.com.au, and you can see what specs and options the cars came with. The main differences are the seats I think... but there are others... id go for a 2003 up model. MY2002 is not bad, its got most of what the 2002 had but is cheaper by a bit being 2002...

You have to cut the front bumper to put fmic on... something I didnt want to do. I considered smic but the costs dont really justify the performance you get from it.

BLKMJC

I think 2000 model has sunroof as standard, start from 2002 it became an option. btw, if you don't upgrade the turbo, what's the point of putting fmic. put your money in other mod first

91eah
16-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Hi nice choice on the mk4 GTi!!! I have a 2001 - it has the recaro seats & sunroof as standard, i prefered to get the older model to have these features!

I spent 8 months looking for mine, and the price does vary, but take into account the km's, service history, how many owners etc!

Im sure in Sydney you will have many to choose from! Goodluck with it!

Bug_racer
16-02-2007, 12:50 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

The custom ones vary from about $1200-1700 depending on size , space and tubing involved . Just had a Polo gti one done , pics will be up shortly

Bug_racer
16-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Also if you cant find a gti consider an A3 , the later ones are DBW and you can extract a bit more power out of them :)

fuzion
16-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Differences;

2000 model (99.5 inclusive)
Recaro Bucket Seats (more bolstered then the 02+ models which had generic recaro's in there)
Different Alloys (Montreals / Montreal II's)
Sunroof Standard (+02 as mentioned is an option)
Chrome Bonnet/Boot Struts (actually varies)
Woodgrain Gear knob (+02 had same, but half leather with chrome gear surround on some)
5th Alloy spare wheel (+02s was option far as i know?)

--

Modification Wise;-
Diverter Valves (as 1.8t engines do NOT run Blow Valves as bv's are atmospheric and DV's are recircluated)
- Go Fast Bits Plumback (subtle sound)
- Forge 007P (the most common, has more of a squawk/dog run over sound) [whilst earlier model gti's you will find some stock Diverter Valves give up, and sometimes they'll be fine. With Chipping/Chipped GTI's it is usually recommended to change to hold more boost and also able to service them unlike the standard plastic bosch ones)

Chip Tuning;-
- GIAC (www.giac.com.au)
- Oettinger (www.oettinger.com.au)
- REVO (www.revo.com.au)
- APR (www.goapr.com.au)
- MTM (www.mtm-online.de/en/)
(To which is better?, Its a matter of opinion and experience.)

Suspension:-
- KW (recently won the Bathurst 12hr race with the Coilovers in the BMW, used by VW Racing and BMW and other racing cars all around the world and probably one of the most recommended these days) KW Springs + Sport Shock Sets, Coilovers V1/V2/V3 [height adjustable, rebound etc] www.kw.com.au / www.inmotive.com.au
- H&R (partners of DTM,MERCEDES BENZ&CARRERA CUP.OE on GOLF R32 .Also very well known and have a numerous amount of options like KW and also provide sway bars, spacers, adapters etc) http://www.h-r.com/index.php?sprache=en
- Eibach (although i would say these are great, they are quite overpriced here in Australia but a cheap good option, 30/40mm drop with GTI shocks will last you about 10-20k before you need to replace shocks for a quick lowered/cheap option). http://www.eibach.com.au/

Cold Air Induction Tube to stock airbox / AEM CAI if u got $$

Exhausts:

If you dont want sound, your best of just getting a 3" Downpipe to your stock exhaust allowing the turbo to breath a lot better and a will get a substantial gain out of this. Full exhaust if you want some sound in the end (otherwise dp is enuff or remus, milltek or custom muffler/setup maybe)

3" Downpipe - any exhaust place can make you one up reasonably cheap under $450 hopefully

Turbo Inlet Pipe;-
What do they do? Heres a video from Forgemotorsport http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/intake.mpg
Forge (www.forgemotorsport.co.uk )
APR (www.goapr.com.au)
Samco (http://www.samcosport.com/)

N75J Valve, basically this valve controls your wastegate. Changing to a J style or H style valve apparently gives you 1-2psi more holding the wg open a little longer. a VERY common mod with everyone (esp in the US)

Intercooler i guess if you really want to in time, its a fair hit of money, your better off spending it on a K04 Turbo Upgrade. Most people stock smic hit about 135+ at front wheels with this turbo upgrade.

Quick Price Guide; (although dont quote me)

GFB DV: $250
N75J: $175
Chip: circa $1500-$2200
DP: $300
TIP: $200 - $300
Coilovers:$1700- $2500 / or Springs $450-700 only

From here it goes to your Cosmetics externally and internally....

Hope thats a bit more info there

blue_reality
16-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Awesome - thanks for the info guys.

I'll make sure I make it along to the GTG - hopefully I'll have a car by then!

Rock on and have fun!

DubSteve
16-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Sebs the Dr when it comes down to the GTI's imo!

Mod wise;
Diverter Valve 9Go Fast Bits, Forge 007p) (As they give in quite easily, esp after being chipped which we found out with the black gti too lol, thanks to Seb for getting me sorted with that lol)
GIAC Chip (www.giac.com.au)
KW Coilovers or KW Springs/Shocks (depending on your budget, $2500+ for coilover variant 3s www.inmotive.com.au for more info on that)
Cold Air Induction Tube to stock airbox / AEM CAI if u got $$ (contact bug_racer on tubing as well possibly)

3" Downpipe (contact Bug_racer for more info on pricing) or any exhaust place can make you one up reasonably cheap under $450 hopefully
Turbo Inlet Pipe (forge)
Full exhaust if you want some sound in the end (otherwise dp is enuff or remus muffler maybe)

Intercooler i guess if you really want to in time, its a fair hit of money, your better off spending it on a K04 Turbo Upgrade. Most people stock smic hit about 135+ at front wheels with this turbo upgrade

dv/giac chip/3" dp im guess around the 115 mark as i got 114 without the downpipe at the front wheels

just my 2psi!

Right this on the Mods thread under tuning.

GTIputih
16-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Be aware of any rattles inside the car. They normally come from inside the doors, hatch or even dashboard. ;)

blue_reality
18-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I think a 2000 or 2001 model sounds like the way to go.

I'll look forward to meeting some of you at the get together.

Quick question - do you think 100,000 is a lot of KM for a 2000 model GTI? I'm looking at one that has just had the major service. How much does that normally cost?

Cheers.

h100vw
18-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I think 2000 model has sunroof as standard, start from 2002 it became an option. btw, if you don't upgrade the turbo, what's the point of putting fmic. put your money in other mod first

Not trying to start a war but the std intercooler is poor and if you chip the car it's not going to improve matters.

Audi thought that the TT and S3 needed better intercooling with 225hp so a chipped Golf with 200 would make use of the extra cooling for sure.

Admittedly not the first mod to do but certainly on the list. As part of a long term upgrade plan, for me at least, the FMIC had to be done as well as the 3 inch turbo back system. I have an K04 turbo to fit with a manifold, injectors, FPR and pump.

If you are not going to go with a big turbo then apart from a better downpipe, I'd not do anything but a chip and TIP.

Gavin

gpk_gti
19-02-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. I think a 2000 or 2001 model sounds like the way to go.

I'll look forward to meeting some of you at the get together.

Quick question - do you think 100,000 is a lot of KM for a 2000 model GTI? I'm looking at one that has just had the major service. How much does that normally cost?

Cheers.
when I was looking ,I had seen a lower k 2003 and roughly the same price but it didnt have the recaros and sunroof,thats why I got the 2000 model.Also mine had 93k and now its got 105k kms.I dont belive thats alot for a 7 year old car.
there are many vw mechanics on forum,William-Golf loon-esevwbits-bug racer to name a few,im sure you would be looked after on the service from any of those guys.
iv got a k03s and chip with larger downpipe/exhaust.look at changing the Turbo inlet pipe,turbo inlet hose/air filter and upgraded diverter.those are simple mods but very effective.
think you will get it by the GTG??

blue_reality
19-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Yeah I think I should have it soon. I'm looking at some tonight.

Just have to sell my Jeep first which has 3 days to go on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=018&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=280081819704&rd=1&rd=1

dancet
19-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I've had my 2001 GTi for about two weeks now and I absolutely love it!

Got it with 64,000 K's on the clock and in very good condition (apart from some shopping centre style scratches on the bumper). I was in the market for a rear or all wheel drive car, something like a nice clean 2.5 Subaru Liberty. Then came across a friend of a friend selling the Golf and after one drive I was sold!

Great car and I'm already dreaming of mods like a chip, new DV, exhaust, bigger wheels, etc. I can hear my wallet crying already.

h100vw
24-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Not that bad TBH. Can't remember what he quoted me exactly.

Forge and maybe APR make off the shelf FMIC both more than the one I am having made.

Gavin

Got the Bill today for the FMIC. $1640 all up. Bear in mind this is for an A3. Anyone wanting one the same should PM me. My engineering shop is working out a price now the hard work is done. I think it could be adapted to a Golf reasonably easily.

Gavin

fuzion
19-04-2007, 06:29 PM
updated original info with more infomation/description and pricing for everyone

Sebs the Dr when it comes down to the GTI's imo!

Differences;

2000 model (99.5 inclusive)
Recaro Bucket Seats (more bolstered then the 02+ models which had generic recaro's in there)
Different Alloys (Montreals / Montreal II's)
Sunroof Standard (+02 as mentioned is an option)
Chrome Bonnet/Boot Struts (actually varies)
Woodgrain Gear knob (+02 had same, but half leather with chrome gear surround on some)
5th Alloy spare wheel (+02s was option far as i know?)

--

Modification Wise;-
Diverter Valves (as 1.8t engines do NOT run Blow Valves as bv's are atmospheric and DV's are recircluated)
- Go Fast Bits Plumback (subtle sound)
- Forge 007P (the most common, has more of a squawk/dog run over sound) [whilst earlier model gti's you will find some stock Diverter Valves give up, and sometimes they'll be fine. With Chipping/Chipped GTI's it is usually recommended to change to hold more boost and also able to service them unlike the standard plastic bosch ones)

Chip Tuning;-
- GIAC (www.giac.com.au)
- Oettinger (www.oettinger.com.au)
- REVO (www.revo.com.au)
- APR (www.goapr.com.au
(To which is better?, Its a matter of opinion and experience. GIAC offering free upgrades (eg. upgrading to a k04 or gt28r would be good)

Suspension:-
- KW (recently won the Bathurst 12hr race with the Coilovers in the BMW, used by VW Racing and BMW and other racing cars all around the world and probably one of the most recommended these days) KW Springs + Sport Shock Sets, Coilovers V1/V2/V3 [height adjustable, rebound etc] www.kw.com.au / www.inmotive.com.au
- H&R (also very well known and have a numerous amount of options like KW and also provide sway bars, spacers, adapters etc)
- Eibach (although i would say these are great, they are quite overpriced here in Australia but a cheap good option, 30/40mm drop with GTI shocks will last you about 10-20k before you need to replace shocks for a quick lowered/cheap option).

Cold Air Induction Tube to stock airbox / AEM CAI if u got $$ (contact bug_racer on tubing as well possibly)

Exhausts:

If you dont want sound, your best of just getting a 3" Downpipe to your stock exhaust allowing the turbo to breath a lot better and a will get a substantial gain out of this. Full exhaust if you want some sound in the end (otherwise dp is enuff or remus, milltek or custom muffler/setup maybe)

3" Downpipe (contact Bug_racer for more info on pricing) or any exhaust place can make you one up reasonably cheap under $450 hopefully

Turbo Inlet Pipe;-
What do they do? Heres a video from Forgemotorsport http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/intake.mpg
Forge (www.forgemotorsport.co.uk or contact myself i can pass on discounts)
APR
Samco

N75J Valve, basically this valve controls your wastegate. Changing to a J style or H style valve apparently gives you 1-2psi more holding the wg open a little longer. a VERY common mod with everyone (esp in the US)

Intercooler i guess if you really want to in time, its a fair hit of money, your better off spending it on a K04 Turbo Upgrade. Most people stock smic hit about 135+ at front wheels with this turbo upgrade

dv/giac chip/3" dp im guess around the 115 mark as i got 114 without the downpipe at the front wheels

just my 2psi!

Quick Price Guide; (although dont quote me)

GFB DV: $250
N75J: $175
GIAC Chip: $1500
DP: $300
Forge TIP: $300
KW Coilovers: $2500 / or Springs $450-700 only

From here it goes to your Cosmetics externally and internally....

Hope thats a bit more info there